|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> surge protector and water filters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wiskeyVI

All Over

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we bought our first RV, it had a clog in an elbow of an inside pipe right after we bought it.
After that, I never allowed water into the rig without at least a sediment filter.
When we got out of RVing, i was to the point that I had a complete home made system built into a milk crate that filtered everything, included a pressure regulator and could have been set outside or plumbed into the storage bay when cold or very hot out. It eventually morphed into a manifold system in our 5ver bay....

As for surge protection, I don't recall using one, but do intend to on the future.
I used standard household filters.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to go along with many others and recommend the Progressive EMS,I know that it has served me well but I went with the Hard Wired one less thing to hook up and store later.

As for the company they get very high praise from me,I had a failure of the remote desplay unit and after talking to a real live person and going thru all the test procedures he said it was toast. They sent me a new one OVERNITE FEDEX I received it the next day.

As for the water filter I had problems with the Blue Camco ones,poor MFG as they always leaked,I went with Aqua Quest about same price but for me it was of a better quality.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

CampingCompanions

New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 30 Amp surge protector by Progressive Industries. It was a pricier model because it was recommended to us by our dealer. WE figure with the amount of money we spent on the camper, we may as well protect our investment with a better quality surge protector. Hughes Watchdog seems to be a very popular choice as well. Good luck.

As for the water filter, we get the Camco TastePure water filter with flexible hose on Amazon. Last time I bought them, I got a 2 pack for $25.00.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blue water filters are as useless as a colander.

I went with a clear household 5u filter and only run off internal tank, even with full hookup. I'm amazed at how much junk the filter traps.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Blue water filters are as useless as a colander.

I went with a clear household 5u filter and only run off internal tank, even with full hookup. I'm amazed at how much junk the filter traps.

Do you put it before the pump or on the output side?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had what was supposed to be the top of the line Progressive ems. It shut down several times when it detected low voltage, like it was supposed to do. On the one power surge that I’m aware of, I didn’t know there was a problem until I smelled melting wire insulation. My next one will be a Hughes.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 12:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Camco water filters have worked great for us across parks in 43 states so far. Very occasionally there will be a sulferous taste that survives the filtration so we break out the Britta pitcher which has worked 100%. Total investment across 5 years and hundreds of nights, $75 or so.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Do you put it before the pump or on the output side?

it filters the water before going into the onboard tank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> surge protector and water filters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.