|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Andersen Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

The woes of short bed trucking.

Yet we still prefer the short bed , go figure [emoticon]

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had long beds early on.. started camping and went to short beds.. Probably early to mid 80's ish.. the last 3 RV's were fivers, all before were TT's.

always had the SB till March of 2020.... That's when I went to the dark side with the LB AND the B&W.... After 1 partial season of towing, I can honestly say that I LOVE that combo....

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Andersen with the adapter set for more distance to the cab (red ball receiver forward). My truck bed is 6'9" with the OEM puck setup. I have good clearance to the tailgate and side rails. It tows just fine in this position. I don't really notice much of a difference driving down the road between this and my 2004.5 Ram with a Superglide (same trailer) - except that the Andersen is smoother and quieter. And, there's no comparison in removing/installing the hitch as the Andersen is about 200lbs lighter. Hooking up is a bit more effort due to ball alignment vs. backing into a slot. But, I'll take that tradeoff any day. I'm super happy with the Andersen so far.

2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

I had long beds early on.. started camping and went to short beds.. Probably early to mid 80's ish.. the last 3 RV's were fivers, all before were TT's.

always had the SB till March of 2020.... That's when I went to the dark side with the LB AND the B&W.... After 1 partial season of towing, I can honestly say that I LOVE that combo....

Nice to see the light! Had one 77 GMC shorty, loved the truck but hated the useless bed.

“NO COMPROMISE”

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

As said many times "HAD" the long beds, glad you enjoy yours [emoticon]

bsbeedub

Gateway to the West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be getting a fifth wheel soon and I plan on getting an Andersen hitch. One of the disadvantages I see regularly, and in this thread, is having to align the red hitch pin adaptor directly over the ball on the Andersen. I currently have a TT and have to do basically the same thing with aligning the ball on the truck under the coupler on the tongue . I don’t understand what the difference is and why some indicate this is a difficult thing to do. Can someone shed some light for me please?

Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10’s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can align ball and hitch on your TT, should not be hard to align with the Andersen. You do need to raise the FW a bit higher than with a standard hitch.

Jerry

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bsbeedub wrote:

We will be getting a fifth wheel soon and I plan on getting an Andersen hitch. One of the disadvantages I see regularly, and in this thread, is having to align the red hitch pin adaptor directly over the ball on the Andersen. I currently have a TT and have to do basically the same thing with aligning the ball on the truck under the coupler on the tongue . I don’t understand what the difference is and why some indicate this is a difficult thing to do. Can someone shed some light for me please?

It’s a perceived issue , mostly by those that have never had one . The new Andersen’s have that red line up cone , and no need to be dead on . I have the older Andersen that didn’t come with the cone . I have no problem getting lined up side to side , no different then lining up the kingpin .I can see the ball from the cab, on occasion I may have to get back in the truck to move further back or pull forward a bit .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

If you can align ball and hitch on your TT, should not be hard to align with the Andersen. You do need to raise the FW a bit higher than with a standard hitch.

Jerry

Hell, I got a back up camera not a problem hooking up my ATV trailer , and I can see the ball on the Andersen , neither is an issue . Back in the day before cameras, it still never seemed an issue hitching up bumper pulls .

ZeeLet50

Alden, New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/21 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree if you have a camera on top of the cab aligning and hitching is a breeze. I have the cup forward on my 6'6" bed and the only thing I did was take a gouge out of my bed cover rail. I will grind off the wings on the hitch this spring to prevent further hitting. Thought about turning it around to see if it eliminates some of the chunking I am getting but my new TV will probably take care of that as I am going from 3/4 to 1 ton and longer wheel base.

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Andersen Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.