|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Solar with Lithium Battery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
2Noob4U

Pueblo

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be purchasing a Battle Born lithium battery in a month or so. My truck camper came with a solar charge controller, inverter and I can simply drop the new battery in place of the lead acid one by flipping a din switch and changing the settings on my charge controller from flooded to lithium.

My question is I have one 100 watt solar panel. What is the charge rate like? I have a portable 2000 watt generator that works great, but it would be even better to leave it behind.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For estimation purposes, I would assume about 5 amps of solar harvest where conditions are ideal,
but the nice thing about LFP is that it has a higher charge receptivity rate (compared to wet cell) due to low internal resistance...This means that you’ll get better results with just your one panel, though solar is so inexpensive nowadays (often only about 0.85 cents per watt) I’d recommend at least another panel - but if you do so, try to keep the panel voltages approximately the same, else the higher voltage panel will default to that of the lower one (first, confirm the amp capacity of your charge controller)...The other thing to consider with LFP (LiFePo4) is your factory converter-chargers output voltage...always feel free to PM me if needed.

3 tons

Sounds other thing is

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In perfect solar conditions about 20 amp-hours per day.

Look at SiO2 and buy two batteries for the price of one Battleborn?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

100 watts.... as said is something but not much depending on your usage. Run the propane fridge controls, water pump and a few LED lights in the evening. Much more and you will be looking for an additional 100 to 300 watts solar. Especially when the sun is low in the sky. But if the 100 watts gets you through and you pull out with a low battery to charge on the way home that is fine too.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At best, you might get 5 amps under ideal conditions with a single 100 watt solar panel.
Please scroll down this page to see typical specifications for a 100 watt solar panel: https://richsolar.com/collections/solar-panels/products/100-watt-solar-panel
Also note its voltage specification.

Another concern might be the campers shore power converter.
I see that the Progressive Dynamics 4000 series includes a switch to charge either lead acid or lithium batteries:
https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-centers/inteli-power-4000-series/

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO 100 watts isn’t enough on sunny days much less in shade or on cloudy days.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The PD Lithium option just sets and holds the output voltage at constant voltage, constant current
14.4v which works well, but not advised for a storage scenario...Their ubiquitous 9245 (or 92xx series) will do the same thing by switching into the Boost mode via the optional Charge Wizard pendant...

3 tons

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it really matter?
You’re dropping $1000 on a 100ah battery (presumably) and plan to sip power to the point that you can keep a single battery topped up with a single 100W panel?

First, if you only use what that little panel can replenish daily under normal conditions, you’re basically using no power.
What can you run on 80-85 watts for say 12 hours (being generous)?
Sounds like you’re confused and think a $1000 battery is a magic solution to free power.
It’s only a magic solution to making your wallet lighter, unless weight is that critical.
In which case, no, a 100W panel won’t keep up unless the battery is just there for looks and not use.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marketing help please.
If I wanted to make a battery that “everyone” would buy, what is a more catchy name than “ Battleborn”?
There are enough people enamored with that name and the magic they think it provides, surely I could make a bundle if I had an even better name or catch phrase!

Note, firepower and antigravity are already all used up, lol.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, change your solar controller settings so it won't do more than 14.6v, and kill any temp comp for the same reason--nothing above 14.6v ever. No "equalize".

The sun won't shine any brighter by changing to LFP from your FLA so ignore all claims about "faster charging" with solar if only you swapped to LFP.

In the same way, a 55 amp converter will not do more than 55 amps either if you swap to LFP. Engage brain before believing the advertising! [emoticon]

You will get more usable AH but not twice as many. From a 100AH batt you will get 80 instead of 50 by following the guidelines for each type.
(20-100 vs 50-100)

Watch out for high temp limits on the LFP since you say Pueblo it might get hot there. Also low temp limits at night?

To go camping off-grid you need more than 100AH or be a tent camper, so that means you will need two of those very expensive LFPs, not just one. That also means your one batt now is not enough. Get your wallet out for a second one of whichever you choose.

A 100w panel will help a little but not much. 200w can do a useful day's work.

Now the good news! [emoticon] LFP works well with solar, because you don't have to get back to 100% SOC every day. Solar can kill FLAs for this reason, that the sun goes down before the batts get truly full, which eventually kills them from sulphation. No worries about that with LFPs (or SiO2 for that matter).

Also Battle Born is not the only pebble on the beach.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Solar with Lithium Battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.