|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Very new to living in an RV/Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
YeeYeeHaircut

Klamath Falls Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am currently planning to move into an RV/Trailer and park it at a park that preferably has hookups like power and sewer, and I have some questions about the internet situation and power.

I am on the internet quite a bit, and I use a TV/my Laptop/computer, I'm wondering, do parks allow me to pay for my own modem etc, and hook it to my trailer?

and is the power enough to run say a console, or my devices?

TLDR - Can I do everything I'm doing now in an RV/Camper - Using my centurylink/maybe a spectrum modem I pay for and consoles, and powering devices?

(I dug around on the internet but this is what I'd feel to do is ask professionals or someone who knows more about it. I just wanna be prepared to stay in contact with my long distance friends and still do things with them while off of work over the net etc.)

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're planning to stay permanently in one park, they may allow service from a local cable or fiber Internet provider. The Internet service parks typically provide for itinerant guests is usually pretty marginal at best, and not suited to streaming or other heavy uses. Knowing that, many of us bring our own Internet services along with us as we travel in the form of "hotspots" that receive service from the various cell providers, or use the hotspot feature on our phones. There are various data plans available from all the major carriers with differing data allowances. Unlimited data plans are also available from most carriers, but at a premium price. There are some third-party unlimited services that use the major carriers towers usually wth better pricing, but they tend to not to be as reliable since some are using grey market business plans that can be shut down at any time by their provider. The link below is a good starting point for researching available equipment and plans.

Mobile Internet Resource Center

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends upon the park.

Basically the farther out in 'nature' you are, the more difficult it is to get wired internet. And wired internet is always more reliable than anything WiFi over the air solution.

Most RV folks use an over the air situation, connected to a hotspot tied to a major carrier wireless plan. This can vary from barely functional to streaming quality - depending upon how close to cell towers and some other things.

Also, 'Unlimited Data Plans' mean the company will not charge you more money no matter how much data you use. It does not mean that your data rate will not be throttled if you exceed a certain amount of data - ATT, Verison, T-Mobile all do this, and they also impose limits on data transfer rates for companies that resell their service.

Some long term parks had wired cable systems which can provide internet. Not many though. Parks marketed to a mobile RV population seldom go to that expense.

I've seen a few places where long term residents had installed fixed dish satellite internet systems, mostly with good results.

It has to be something you ask about as you look for a 'home'.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Others have covered internet connectivity well.

If by "power to run your devices" you mean electrical power, then yes--that is more than sufficient for any reasonable "home" technology. Running something akin to a Google server rack is, of course, a slightly different matter.

A 30A RV power connection has a theoretical (nominal) power capacity of 3600 watts; a 50A connection, 12,000 watts. Devices would very likely be no more than a couple hundred watts total, and quite possibly a good bit less. One exception is a laser printer, which uses a fair bit of power for the fuser when it's running (but still well within the power available in a campground--but enough that you may need to pay attention to what other things are running, especially if you have a 30A connection).

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YeeYeeHaircut wrote:

I am currently planning to move into an RV/Trailer and park it at a park that preferably has hookups like power and sewer, and I have some questions about the internet situation and power.

I am on the internet quite a bit, and I use a TV/my Laptop/computer, I'm wondering, do parks allow me to pay for my own modem etc, and hook it to my trailer?

Do not count on using internet services at RV parks. Most are not reliable and their speed is slow and they will charge you. Select another source for your internet services.

NO!

TLDR - Can I do everything I'm doing now in an RV/Camper - Using my centurylink/maybe a spectrum modem I pay for and consoles, and powering devices? Ask your service provider! I was impressed with Spectrum but am not sure about where they provide services.

(I dug around on the internet but this is what I'd feel to do is ask professionals or someone who knows more about it. I just wanna be prepared to stay in contact with my long distance friends and still do things with them while off of work over the net etc.)

YeeYeeHaircut

Klamath Falls Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 02:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Others have covered internet connectivity well.

If by "power to run your devices" you mean electrical power, then yes--that is more than sufficient for any reasonable "home" technology. Running something akin to a Google server rack is, of course, a slightly different matter.

A 30A RV power connection has a theoretical (nominal) power capacity of 3600 watts; a 50A connection, 12,000 watts. Devices would very likely be no more than a couple hundred watts total, and quite possibly a good bit less. One exception is a laser printer, which uses a fair bit of power for the fuser when it's running (but still well within the power available in a campground--but enough that you may need to pay attention to what other things are running, especially if you have a 30A connection).
`

I only plug into a strip in my room currently, my laptop with a charger, a smaller, well, wide stand television, its pretty small but mediuum sized wide Is the best I can describe it, a PS4 , and a phone charger really, and whatever modem I can hook up if the park allows it - I was asking if a trailer I buy would be able to run all of that with a hookup at a park/i'm not sure whether I should look for a certain amp amount in regards to that.

I'm a bit of a dummy, - thank you. I will definitley be asking around parks until I find one that has cable hookup, other cases I saved this info thank you lots.

YeeYeeHaircut

Klamath Falls Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 02:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

Depends upon the park.

Basically the farther out in 'nature' you are, the more difficult it is to get wired internet. And wired internet is always more reliable than anything WiFi over the air solution.

Most RV folks use an over the air situation, connected to a hotspot tied to a major carrier wireless plan. This can vary from barely functional to streaming quality - depending upon how close to cell towers and some other things.

Also, 'Unlimited Data Plans' mean the company will not charge you more money no matter how much data you use. It does not mean that your data rate will not be throttled if you exceed a certain amount of data - ATT, Verison, T-Mobile all do this, and they also impose limits on data transfer rates for companies that resell their service.

Some long term parks had wired cable systems which can provide internet. Not many though. Parks marketed to a mobile RV population seldom go to that expense.

I've seen a few places where long term residents had installed fixed dish satellite internet systems, mostly with good results.

It has to be something you ask about as you look for a 'home'.
I don't exactly plan to get far out into nature, just a temporary home until I can save enough to get something else but live there for a while. I will definitley ask about it and see if I can find out with hookups like that in regards to the net - thank you.

Is there like a group of parks specifically called permanent parks? - or are there just some permanent residents that stay in the parks

I'm sure fans will become a good friend for warm weather haha

YeeYeeHaircut

Klamath Falls Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 02:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

YeeYeeHaircut wrote:

Do not count on using internet services at RV parks. Most are not reliable and their speed is slow and they will charge you. Select another source for your internet services.

NO!

TLDR - Can I do everything I'm doing now in an RV/Camper - Using my centurylink/maybe a spectrum modem I pay for and consoles, and powering devices? Ask your service provider! I was impressed with Spectrum but am not sure about where they provide services.

wait - no? Like, - It can't run most of it or is it akin to running one thing at a time kind of deal

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My daughter is living in our RV at college when they ran out of dorm rooms due to reduced capacity with COVID rules. The RV park she is in includes cable TV, so I called the cable provider, and they were able to set up an internet connection. So she had plenty of bandwidth for school, and netflix.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check around to see what is available at your nearby parks. There isn't a specific group that manages these types of parks.

At our summer park, we did get a wired internet service but it's OK but if you have high demands it might not be enough. Not all parks will have or allow wired internet. The wifi they advertise is almost always marginal at best.

Power depends: Assuming you have a 30amp RV (50amp RVS tend to be bigger and more expensive). You will need to manage your power usage. Even though is says 30amp, in reality that's a peak capability. Continuous use is only good for 24amps. If you are running the air/con, that can eat up 12amps. Add another 2-3 for the fridge, 10amps for the water heater...and you are basically maxed out. If you want to run the microwave, you need to turn off the air/con or water heater. Many will simply run the water heater off propane to reduce demand. Now if you electronics array pulls 2-3 amps total, probably quite reasonable. If it's pulling 10-15amps, that's going to be a challenge.

If you have a 50amp, you should be golden. 30amp is 30amps @ 120v. 50amp is 50amp at 240v split into two legs effectively giving you 100amp @ 120v.

If you are doing this just for cost savings, have you done any price checking? At a nice park, it's not unusual to pay $600-800/month just for the site. Electric is extra. You still pay for your RV including any maintenance and repairs. Unless you are in a really high rent district, it's usually cheaper to just get an apartment (of course, if you are in a really high rent district, you might be paying $1000-1200 for an RV site).

Also check with RV parks if you are looking at older RVs. Some have a 10yr old limit. Usually, if the rig is in good shape, they may overlook it but what they are really trying to do is rule out scruffy beat up rigs.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Very new to living in an RV/Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.