|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Help/ Fresh Water Tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
howdy35

Athens, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Late afternoon yesterday at 5 degrees above zero I heard a loud bang and observed a great amount of water pouring out from under the RV. Despite having two 1500 watt heaters and two fans circulating heat in the basement, I'm afraid my fresh water tank has bit the dust. Too cold now to check but I need your help.

I am quite certain I will be trying to find a replacement but that may not be possible for a 1999 National Tradewinds 7370. Has anyone any ideas and what about a fiberglass repair? I'm not sure how I might get it out or what the heck I am going to do. This will be a fun project.

For those of you who might be interested, I will post solution.

Happy travels. Arnold

1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Baxter24

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most insurance companies will cover water breaks from freezing. If you have full coverage call them and start a claim.

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 03:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done fiberglass repair on a holding tank 4 rigs ago. Its was a crack close to the exit fitting. For me it work very well however as I was working against gravity very messy.

I first cleaned the area then drilled a small hole at each end of the crack. That will stop the crack from getting any larger. Than came the fiberglass cloth, hardener etc.

It held very well for as long as I had the coach. There are other products out there now that may do as good if not better job. I am sure some folks will help out with that.

Good Luck, safe travels

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the amount of work and uncertainty you will go through trying to repair an ageing possibly brittle tank, you would be better off finding a replacement. Measure your tank and do some google work. I did a quick search and came up with this site RV Fresh Water Tanks. For around $200 for most tanks I can't see it would be worth it to even try to repair an old tank.

Then again it could just be a broken water line under there. You'll figure that out when you get into it.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it actually a fiberglass tank?

Most are rotomolded plastic and it's a pain to repair them. If you can get access, probably easier to just replace.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't jump the gun. As you said it's too cold to check, but it could just be a pipe or fitting. Don't borrow trouble, check it out and find out exactly what the problem is first.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arnold,

There are some untouched issues here.....

As soon as you can, identify the damaged area. This is called damage control. The effort is not so much to correct the issue but to prevent it from extending to other areas.

I very much doubt that the tank is any kind of fiberglass as none of the resins used in those processes are acceptable for potable water use.

It is highly unlikely that the whole tank froze to the point of failure.

It is very possible that the tank plumbing froze enough to crack and drain the tank. If this is the case, you may be able to repair just that section of plumbing.

Best of luck.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I, too would suspect a water line to burst before the tank would. That is, unless the tank was compromised earlier. Two 1500 heaters seem like overkill to me anyway. Best thing is assess the damage and then decide what to do. If it is, in fact, the fresh water tank, call your insurance agent.

On a side note, unless you're boondocking, and it doesn't sound like you are, why do you have water in the fresh water tank anyway? I'd drain that knowing it's going to get that cold. I'm sure the water lines in the park are heated....best of luck. I hope it turns out to be a simple break in the water line. Shark Bite fittings at Home Depot are the best.....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

On a side note, unless you're boondocking, and it doesn't sound like you are, why do you have water in the fresh water tank anyway? I'd drain that knowing it's going to get that cold. I'm sure the water lines in the park are heated....best of luck. I hope it turns out to be a simple break in the water line. Shark Bite fittings at Home Depot are the best.....Dennis

I've found that most parks do not have heated water lines. Only a few times have we found them.

Just left a park yesterday with multiple spigots spewing water after they froze leaving no pressure and the city having a boil water advisory anyway. The park we moved to (450miles away) only has a boil water advisory.

So if the water goes out:
- If I have a full tank, I can continue for at least a few day.
- If I have an empty tank, I'm playing bottle water hunger games at the local walmart.

Of course, this presumes you have a means to keep the water tank from freezing.

howdy35

Athens, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are full time in our RV and the fresh water tank was being used in place of the supply hose which froze up. I was not aware the fresh water tank was not receiving enough heat since it is forward of the last heated bay from the steps to the generator.

Anyway, what is done is done and nothing can happen to repair/replace it until it gets warmer. Once it warms up, I can hook up the hose again and try to look at the damage.

My thanks to schlep1967 for the info on replacement tanks. I have started an insurance report and will await their help with the solution.

Just another hiccup. Arnold

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Help/ Fresh Water Tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.