RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Best sealant for slight roof leak?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Best sealant for slight roof leak?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jaycoman89

campground

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. By ceiling panel, as explained above, I meant the cover over the AC on the ceiling of the RV and where the filter is located. It may require removing several screws which are now covered by a removable plastic or rubber plug cover. Just take a small screwdriver and work it under the edge of the cover and it will pop off.

The whole ceiling panel is made of plastic so it is light and should come right down after removing those screws. Then you need to use a flashlight and look up inside the opening of the AC if those four corner bolts are not immediately visible. Some AC's have them right under the cover and others have them up inside the AC, but all have them easily available to snug up.

That is how the AC is held on to the roof. The whole thing is a sandwich with the upper unit on the outside and the lower unit inside with the roof and gasket in between. Then the inside opening is covered up with the ceiling panel.[emoticon]
Barney

got it, that clears it up for me. I was thinking you all meant removing the actual ceiling itself to get to the bolts.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not a 'slight' leak, trust me. Get it fixed ASAP.

Eternabond and Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant is a good choice.

jaycoman89

campground

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Do you agree that with the "tighten the long bolts" recommendation? Last I looked at the roof I didn't really see anywhere where water would be getting in.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's dripping next to the AC you will probably see evidence of the drip when you remove the inside AC panel. As stated above just tighten the 4 screws slightly (1/4 to 1/2 turn) There is no way to get Dicor or anything else under the AC unit up on the roof.

Water leaks though can run a long way before they become obvious. Next thing to check is get a ladder and look at the roof itself. Do you see any obvious rips. tears, or cracked caulking? Is the AC looking level and where it should be or is it sinking down into the roof? If it's sinking you have a bigger problem than just tightening the bolts from the inside.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

jaycoman89

campground

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. By ceiling panel, as explained above, I meant the cover over the AC on the ceiling of the RV and where the filter is located. It may require removing several screws which are now covered by a removable plastic or rubber plug cover. Just take a small screwdriver and work it under the edge of the cover and it will pop off.

The whole ceiling panel is made of plastic so it is light and should come right down after removing those screws. Then you need to use a flashlight and look up inside the opening of the AC if those four corner bolts are not immediately visible. Some AC's have them right under the cover and others have them up inside the AC, but all have them easily available to snug up.

That is how the AC is held on to the roof. The whole thing is a sandwich with the upper unit on the outside and the lower unit inside with the roof and gasket in between. Then the inside opening is covered up with the ceiling panel.[emoticon]
Barney

Barney, looking at pictures of my interior, the panel is not where the drip is occurring. There is a "fan" where the drip is occurring though. But the drip are does line up with where the a/c unit is on the roof, and it's the same drip i've noticed when i ran the a/c for too long in high heat. This leads me to believe it's still related to the long bolts needing to be tightened, but curious to hear your thoughts.

jaycoman89

campground

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

If it's dripping next to the AC you will probably see evidence of the drip when you remove the inside AC panel. As stated above just tighten the 4 screws slightly (1/4 to 1/2 turn) There is no way to get Dicor or anything else under the AC unit up on the roof.

Water leaks though can run a long way before they become obvious. Next thing to check is get a ladder and look at the roof itself. Do you see any obvious rips. tears, or cracked caulking? Is the AC looking level and where it should be or is it sinking down into the roof? If it's sinking you have a bigger problem than just tightening the bolts from the inside.

I'll have to look at hte roof this weekend, but the last I remember I don't remember seeing any evidence of it sinking but knocking on wood. Hope thats not the case. My question now is that plastic panel inside that i need to remove doesn't line up with where the AC is on the roof so could there still be a correlation?

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

First, check the a/c gasket by taking off the inside ceiling cover.

Ditto.

My bet is the bolts holding the A/C to the roof are loose.

This shows how to fix them.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the drip is coming from whatever is in the ceiling, then remove the ceiling trim and inspect.
Also take a look at the fixture on the roof. It may just need an additional coat of caulk. Do not use silicone on the outside of the trailer anywhere, regardless if the factory did originally.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycoman89 wrote:

gbopp wrote:

Do you agree that with the "tighten the long bolts" recommendation? Last I looked at the roof I didn't really see anywhere where water would be getting in.

Yes, try snugging down the bolts, It may solve your problem.
If not, start looking for a leak. Water leaks can be a disaster for a RV.
If you can't find the leak, consider a pressure test.

Haris

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 02:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roof sealants - Look into this guide you will get some information..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Best sealant for slight roof leak?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.