RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Genset carb upkeep:  drain it and/or exercise it? Both?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Genset carb upkeep:  drain it and/or exercise it? Both?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got an old Honda 2000 -- it runs great, and I want to keep it that way.  So every month, I run it under load and then also drain the carb.

(I should add that I use SeaFoam in my tank religiously.  I mean that literally:  I pour in some SeaFoam and then pray that my carb will stay clean. [emoticon] )

So is it overkill to both exercise the generator and drain the carb?  Or can I just get away with draining the carb after every use?

My thought is that the purpose of exercising the generator and draining the carb is the same -- to keep the carb from gumming up due to the ethanol in the gas.  But if I just drain the carb after every use, doesn't that protect the carb sufficiently?  

Or does monthly exercise provide an additional benefit that draining the carb does not?

Your expert wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all depends on how frequently you use the generator. It only needs exercised once a year, and only needs drained if it will be stored over a month. Also, snake oil is a waste of money.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Honda 2000i is over 12 years old with lots of use including 2 years full time travel. I have never drained the carb, and never added Seafoam. I did clean the air filter once or twice and changed the spark plug after about 8 years of use. I do try to remember to run it once every few months but often forget. I change the oil every year or so.

It runs great.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless Honda has changed to a bad idea, that carburetor is designed to be drained. How is that for an answer. If you plan to leave it alone for a long time (more than a couple of months) or just don't know when you might want it again. Get some "Fogging Oil" or Marvel oil. Get it warn and turn the fuel off. As it starts to sputter, fog the engine until it is stopped. Now, turn the crank until you feel compression. This means both valves are closed (and the points as well if it has). Now drain the carburetor and put the machine someplace safe.

Apart from the fogging, this is what it used to say in all the Honda manuals and there are reasons for all of it.

The old thing about running the electric end at load to warm the windings is left over from WWII. Everybody has used much better varnish on the windings for the last 60~70 years.

Matt - a ship's engineer by trade

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The point of running a generator under load every month, according to Onan anyway, is to produce heat in the windings and help dry out moisture. It has nothing to do with a carburetor getting gummed up because Onan recommends the procedure for propane powered generators.
I have no idea if Honda recommends this same procedure for the same reasons. I have no idea if, as Matt suggests, this procedure isn't necessary anymore. I know it was in the manual for my 2003 Onan RV generator.

Downunda

Melbourne Australia

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can buy a kit from Hutch Mountain that allows your Honda to use all of the fuel in the carby before shutting down. Using this option after a trip when you don't plan to use the genny for a while saves you draining the carburetta manually. I fitted one as I didn't want fuel residues gumming the carby up.

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I owned a 4000 W Onan. I always used Stabil in the gas. When it was done for the season I would drain the carb and forget it until the next camping season came around. Now I have 2 Honda 2000s that I can parallel run if needed. I still use Stabil and I drain the carbs at camping season end, fill the gas tanks, put the covers on them until next camping season then I drain the oil and start them up. Been doing this for years. No exercising in the off season. Works for me.

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to the Honda manual all that is needed for 2-6 months of storage is to use fuel stabilizer. If you really want to give it extra TLC, I would use alcohol free gasoline for storage.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fuel Stabilizer and Ethanol free gas is all I do to mine.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, if I could find non-ethanol gas in California, I would use it. I think that there is non-ethanol aviation gas, but I don't think that it is available to the general non-flying public.

Stabil helps, but I used to get "GCS" (gummy-carb-syndrome) even with Stabil, until I learned how to drain the carb after every use. You know you have GCS (which is an acronym I have just invented -- you're welcome!) when your generator starts to idle very rough, surging and "loping."

So far, I am not hearing anyone say that I need to first exercise the generator monthly and then drain the carb?? Is there a consensus?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Genset carb upkeep:  drain it and/or exercise it? Both?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.