|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Navigation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Green Goblin

Minneapolis

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do most veteran RV'ers use for navigation? Because I have heard of issues with the Garmin style dashboard navigation devices I am downloading trucker apps to my phone and having some luck. But what I am really looking for in these apps, and not finding them, is "avoid left turns" and certain lane switches. Blind spots are atrocious on my set up so I put in cameras with monitors on my dashboard but to get around can be really difficult, especially when going through congestion or metropolitan areas. Any suggestions?

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an older Garmin RV 660. I know there are some new ones out, but I'd say it is about 95% accurate. I use it in conjunction with the Rand McNally TRUCKERS atlas. I have the laminated edition. It is really helpful. With the laminate you can draw your route on it with a board marker. It gives a wealth of information. As far as the Garmin goes, I know they have new models available.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We get around quite well using a fairly basic Garmin Novi 52 GPS that's a few years old. With lifetime updates, it stays pretty current on routing changes, and the POI (Points Of Interest) files I've added from free online sources alert us to low clearances, upcoming rest areas, fuel stops, etc. Off hand, I don't recall seeing any publicly available navigational aids with "avoid left turns" type of features. "Fastest", "Shortest" type routing is pretty standard, and there are apps and GPS's that will take the height and length of your RV/truck into consideration in routing though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just use the Google Maps app on my cell phone. I always look at each turn photo to see if there are any impediments. Also, the Park Advisor app shows low bridges so I avoid those routes. I go to great extremes to avoid metro areas for safety and routing issues.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Green Goblin

Minneapolis

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you Joel. I think UPS only did the no Left Turn (Mythbusters tested this) function, I have not seen or heard of it for anything else. I had delivery by freight and tried giving the trucker easier directions for drop off and leaving, but he took a route through the middle of Downtown and I didn't realize I gave him directions with a lower clearance and he must of had navigation to avoid that. 1. I would like a navigation to tell me "avoiding low clearance bridge, adjusting route" Whenever/where ever I drive I try to avoid certain lane changes, merging etc. Even at home I know where to go and merge that has easier site lines and open merge areas. Im trying to find a navigation that allows for that, and having a lot of trouble finding one that does that.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Garmin seems to be the best of a “less than great” product/service. I stay away from Google maps since it can’t find my house which is on a main road. I tried to get directions to my house from inside my house, and it sent me to an address which is not my address.

I’d post a screen shot but this antiquated forum software makes it impossible unless you use another website to store your pictures.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a standard automotive-style GPS, though the primary navigation is more pre-planning my route beforehand and the GPS is more for tracking and for getting back on course should something go amiss, like I miss a turn.

A GPS makes a great servant but a poor master. A trucker GPS should have options to avoid low clearances and unsuitable roads, but the effectiveness of those options is limited by the quality and thoroughness of the database it has of bad roads and low clearances. You still have to pay attention on your own.

I generally try to avoid taking my motorhome through dense urban areas on surface streets. Sometimes it is not possible to avoid that, but it is hardly fun in any case.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Garmin is old and cannot up-grade. Cell phone works well, but if we are going for a few days driving, a current road map to verify what the cell phone tells us is a must. Back country roads in the towed? Cell phone (until we lose a signal)

QCMan

Independent Republic of Horry

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a Garmin for rv's 760 or something like that. Lifetime maps, can route you according to the size of the rig you enter and follow your preferred type of roads. With four updates a year permitted, very little will be surprising. Cosco runs them on sale occasionally

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

Green Goblin

Minneapolis

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with technology is that it isn't very intuitive. If I want to get North out of town it has me take a few freeways and merges. But because I know the area I know better way that my phone and other navigation doesn't. I don't have to cross 4 lanes of traffic to take a left hand exit within a mile of getting onto a freeway. I can get on and stay in one lane and virtually never have to merge but once for a hundred miles. Navigation devices and apps don't seem to offer that.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Navigation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.