|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Mad Dash for Drinking Water

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try to be proactive and keep about 3 extra gallons of drinking water ready at all times. Stores here in Amarillo have run out of water gallons(at least, the ones I visit, including Walmart. It's like a repeat of early last year when folks were grabbing up water and TP, although I think TP is still available. I managed to find 2 gallons of distilled water at WM today. I don't like using distilled water since I've read it can leach minerals out of the body over time. I don't think 2 gallons will hurt, though, since I take supplemental vitamins that contain minerals. Burst water pipes have been happening here in TX, thus the dash for bottled water. Fortunately there's a warmup coming in next day or so. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TBH, I'd rather drink distilled water than a lot of the water that comes out of the tap in many places. Our water here is so full of minerals it only takes a couple years to totally build up on faucets, and coffee makers are pretty much useless in less than a year.

FWIW, I've used basically nothing but distilled water for 30 years and have no health issues. Just old husbands' tales. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At home in the mountains, I have my own water supply that is a spring about 70 feet above the house. One of our daughters who is a chemical engineer took some along with her city water and had them tasted.
Results: the mountain water was pure (drink it as is)
The city water: all kinds of chemicals (advised filtration)

We are so spoiled that the only water we will drink when we are in our trailer is bottled spring water

Guy

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just scoop up the snow and melt it (assuming you can). Boil it for a few minutes to kill anything that might be in it and you'll have water. Comes in handy for drinking, cooking and flushing toilets.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Just scoop up the snow and melt it (assuming you can). Boil it for a few minutes to kill anything that might be in it and you'll have water. Comes in handy for drinking, cooking and flushing toilets.

When we were kids growing up in Bean town the word was "don't eat yellow snow"

Guy

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

I try to be proactive and keep about 3 extra gallons of drinking water ready at all times. Stores here in Amarillo have run out of water gallons(at least, the ones I visit, including Walmart. It's like a repeat of early last year when folks were grabbing up water and TP, although I think TP is still available. I managed to find 2 gallons of distilled water at WM today. I don't like using distilled water since I've read it can leach minerals out of the body over time. I don't think 2 gallons will hurt, though, since I take supplemental vitamins that contain minerals. Burst water pipes have been happening here in TX, thus the dash for bottled water. Fortunately there's a warmup coming in next day or so. [emoticon]

this is another reason why we keep the fresh water tank full or nearly so even when staying in one place for any length of time. ya just never know...

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Takes a lot of snow, and a lot of heat

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were kids growing up in Bean town the word was "don't eat yellow snow"

It's STILL the word LOL!

JRscooby wrote:

Crowe wrote:

Takes a lot of snow, and a lot of heat

Yes, it does (have done it more than once) but even to get a gallon or two of water is helpful. Have done it on a camp stove and on a regular gas stove.

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trivia:

"One gallon (US measure) of water weighs approximately 8.3 pounds. If the snow in your one gallon container weighs four pounds then the water content of the snow is almost 50 percent which means it will take two gallons of snow to make one gallon of water." 50% would be a very wet snow.

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderator wrote:

Trivia:

"One gallon (US measure) of water weighs approximately 8.3 pounds. If the snow in your one gallon container weighs four pounds then the water content of the snow is almost 50 percent which means it will take two gallons of snow to make one gallon of water." 50% would be a very wet snow.

Trivia is good !

Guy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Mad Dash for Drinking Water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.