|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How to sanitize new RV water system

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
CabinetmakerII

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While dumping tanks the other day I was looking at the "Water Control Panel" and got to wondering how to sanitize the fresh water holding tank. All of our previous RV's had a gravity feed fill port for putting water into the fresh water tank. When sanitizing the system I would simply pour a measured amount of bleach into said port and fill the tank. Run the water pump to get the bleached water into the system and let it sit overnight. Then drain and flush the system the next day. Now to the issue at hand. On this new coach, the "Tank Fill" is controlled by a valve. Simply turn the the City water valve to the Tank Fill position and the tank fills... How then do I introduce bleach into the system? Is there a siphon type connection available to put onto the bleach and the water flow takes it to the tank? Any advice would be appreciated!

Allan

Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2006 700 Arctic Cat ATV (X2)(Retired)
2014 Kawasaki Tyrex 4LE Side by Side

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How I do it is, I unhook my hose from the spigot, pour about a cup of bleach into the hose using a small funnel and then reattach the hose and turn the water on. I fill my fresh water tank and then proceed just as you do. Draw water through the system with the pump, let it sit about 24 hours and then drain everything out.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Rangerider

No Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same here. Put the bleach in the hose.

CabinetmakerII

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OMG! How simple is that! Thank you for such a simple solution! Who feels stupid now?

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 5th wheel has a freshwater tank overflow/vent near the back of the 5th wheel is covered with a small white square piece of plastic about the size of one's hand. To remove pull up sharply and you have a gravity fill place.

Check out the photo on this posting

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

CabinetmakerII

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

My 5th wheel has a freshwater tank overflow/vent near the back of the 5th wheel is covered with a small white square piece of plastic about the size of one's hand. To remove pull up sharply and you have a gravity fill place.

Check out the photo on this posting

There is no such fitting on my RV... the tanks vent is a small hose (3/8"?) that has a tight mesh screen over it to keep the bugs out.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use genuine not artificial vanilla one cup per 50 gallons overnight to deodorize. It's magic [emoticon]

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when I was using filters that took cartridges, I just took a cartridge out, poured a bunch of bleach in and ran the water in thru the system.
bumpy

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The easiest way is probably to introduce the bleach into the hose, as others have said. That's what I do (and I have a similar setup).

If you have a winterizing suction setup, you could also use that to suck a bleach solution from a container and into the tank. You can similarly use it to suck in potable water, for that matter. Just set the valves to "winterize" and "fill" at the same time.

I think one of the main reasons why some RVs don't have a gravity fill port is that the fresh water tank is located higher off the ground than is convenient for a fill or hose connection. That's the case for my motorhome; the tank is contained in the bed base, and its top is maybe five feet above the ground. If there was a gravity fill port, it would have to be above many people's heads.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Addtionally they sell a hand pump you can attach to the city water port. I use the pump winterizing suction as i have no gravity fill on my TT. But i did buy the hand pump. Took me a while to figure out out to use the pump for the antifreeze, bleach.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How to sanitize new RV water system
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.