|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Elk_traveler wrote:

A new Ford diesel the 6.7L engine is and old gasoline converted block that was put in the Ford 392 cu-ft engines in 1962. The International 7.3L diesel was designed from scratch as a diesel engine. The torque delivered is sustained power even under max load whereas the new Ford engines only deliver instant and temporary power and cannot be sustained which is whats make the old 7.3L a better engine to begin with for diesel power.

There’s no much misinformation and outright lies in this post I can’t believe my eyes.
Ford did not make a 392, in 1962 or ever. The 6.7 diesel has literally nothing to to with any ‘60s Ford. They are not derived from any old gas engine at all.
Ford built a 391 FT starting in ‘66. That’s the closest thing to your fictional 392 cubic FOOT (LOL) 6.7 ancestor.
can tell you more about FE and FT Ford engines than you wanna know.

I can only imagine you’re assuming that since the 6.4 was 390 cubic inches, it had anything to do with the old 390 gas Ford, which it did not.
And the 6.7 isn’t even based on the 6.4 it replaced, it’s a clean-sheet ground up new engine.

And it can sustain full power for extended periods every bit as well as a 7.3.
The main reason a 7.3 can do that is it came detuned for low power, so it was understressed. A 6.7 at half throttle will make what a 7.3 did.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the 7.3, it’s relatively simple and reliable. You’re just saying things about it that are absolutely not true.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

And it can sustain full power for extended periods every bit as well as a 7.3.
The main reason a 7.3 can do that is it came detuned for low power, so it was understressed. A 6.7 at half throttle will make what a 7.3 did.

When I had the engines in different truck configurations, I used 7.3l in F450 for heavy hauling.
I had it at WOT for about 1/2 hr climbing long I-15 grades with 100F outside.
When my 6.7l would haul 7500 lb of cargo at 1/3 of the throttle, the coolant temperature was raising. Still at safe levels, but again 1/3 of the throttle.
Would I use 6.7l at WOT, per my calculations it would pull 25,000 lb on 6% grades at 90 mph, but I doubt it would do it without overheating.
So final conclusion, when 6.7 has so much power, that WOT is seldom possible, the radiator in it is undersized for available HP.
The low power in 7.3l is self-inflicted safety net.
Since Adamis has his 7.3 chipped for more HP, it would be interesting to hear his engine cooling experience?

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So someone posts that they still run and love their old 7.3 and it turns into a bashing and comparison to the new 6.7.

Seems like just about every thread goes south for some reason. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

I’ve got a Gear Vendors OD. It’s awesome but it won’t give you twelve gears.
You have to be going almost 20 mph to use it, so it’s oil pump is operating.
You only use it with the upper gears.
I have 4.10 gears and the GV drops my 60 MPH cruise from 2000 RPM down to 1500.
It makes 4.10 effectively 3.20.

That's good info to know. I doubt I would need or want to split the lower gears anyway. I know it also doesn't work in 4WD, but that's not going to be an issue.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 7.3 Powerstroke was first available in mid-year 1994, so it is usually said to have started in 1994-1/2. I remember there was a period of time when you could order a new truck with either the old 7.3 IDI, or the new 7.3 PS. I was so envious, because I was still driving a 1984 F250 with the original IH 6.9L Diesel. And when I say “IH” I mean it was still International Harvester then. It even had the IH logo cast in the intake manifold somewhere.

I liked my 1995 F350 a lot, and dumped a bunch of money into it making it a pretty decent camper hauler. I thought it was fairly reliable, but like a lot of long-term 7.3 owners I got good at recognizing a CPS failure, and then replacing it on the side of the road, learning to hate the dual-mass clutch in the ZF tranny (not Getrag unless you swapped it out of some junky old Dodge), finding out the hard way that LUK clutches were junk, deleting the back pressure valve that would stick closed, adding pillar gauges and 4-way flip chips, ........and......and........and

And just for old-times sake, this was taken the day I sold it.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Jtime

North

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah there’s some fishy info being thrown out in here... I appreciate all the good answers and info. Also don’t be shy post a pictures of your 7.3’s camp ready! And how heavy was your setup?

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And almost none of it has anything to do with a truck camper

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

So is about 90% of this forum replies.
At least less trolling than usual and I'd say the topic was pretty constructive.

Jtime

North

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

ticki2 wrote:

So is about 90% of this forum replies.
At least less trolling than usual and I'd say the topic was pretty constructive.

I agree lol. Which tires does everyone run on your duallys or which would you recommend?

The 7.3’s came with 16” inch rims is it worth the extra coin to jump up into a 18 or 20?

Rscconrad

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 97 350 auto. Still stock with the exception of helper springs and air bags. 180k.

Thinking about a new one but even with 25 years, still wonder if I will regret it. Recently switched from a real lite truck camper to a fifth wheel. That truck is rock solid. At 150k I replaced all the bolt ons with a bearing as a preventative measure after I lost the original alternator.

Most likely going to get a 2022 and an arctic fox to go with it. We will see.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.