|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Gas Credit Cards

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
donut dave

Burnett WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bp visa card is 10 cents off per gallon

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My DW would kill me if she found out I used credit to pay for gas, any rewards credit card we have ever been offered has always had a bit higher percentage rate than their non-rewards card. Businesses have many gimmicks to separate us from our hard earned cash, we all know nothing is really free, somewhere they get you way more than they give you back. We always use bank cards that access our checking accounts directly, takes $200 to fill our Class A at current prices.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Ouch, spending $12K a yr on a CC to "get back" a measly $250 per yr?

That's insane, it's only $20 per month they are "giving back".. $20 per month is one restaurant meal for one person for each month..

Much better ways to earn $20 per month and it doesn't involve spending a $1,000 on a CC to get it..

NOPE. Not happening for me, no way do I ever want to get blasted every month with a $1,000+ CC bill.

On top of that, failure to pay off those monthly charges every month (zero balance carryover) typically results in interest charges of $20% and higher depending on the card.

It is a no win situation for you the card holder..

Lately, we have been buying some generic prepaid debit cards like "Vanilla card" at our local WM.. Typically put $200 on each card and buy 3 cards when we take a long, long trip.. Those work reasonably well but sometimes when the balance gets to $75 you end up having to take them inside for the clerk to run them through..

Prepaid cards prevent our accounts from getting hacked or stolen and limits us to $200 per card max loss if the prepaid card gets hacked or lost..

This is about 100% flawed logic....or good practice for someone who can't control their spending....
Which one are you?

$12k a year on a CC? LOL
We probably put $40-50K a year on cards. Yes they get hacked sometimes. No, you're not responsible for the charges.
Yes, they get paid off monthly. Yes, they earn rewards points etc.
Is it alot? Not really, but a few free flights plus some rental cars and hotels are free every year.
Is that why we use CCs?
Nope, not really.
For 1, many things you CAN'T do or can't do easily without a CC or you have to plunk down significant deposits (rental cars for example).
2. Have a bad or illegal transaction with a company, you can easily dispute the charges and be made whole on it. Try that once you give them "cash."
3. Building or maintaining credit. Not a huge deal for us as our credit scores are right where they need to be for all the things in life that you get charged by your credit score. But some need the good credit rating provided by timely payments on a CC, whether paid off monthly or not, to not get hosed on other rates, like insurance.
4. Convenience. Cards are available. Limits are high enough that if I wanted or needed to drop a significant amount of money on something "right now", it's there without any hassle, going to the bank, transferring funds, waiting to earn the funds i need today but don't have in the bank until 3 weeks from now.
Doesn't happen often, but has several times. You're somewhere, away from home, the want or need for a significant purchase comes up. Maybe it's a great deal, maybe it's a need, maybe it's just splurging on something. Bam 5 min later, it's yours. Deal with the finances tomorrow.

It's absolutely laughable that you would be anti credit card in todays world (today being the last, idk, 30-40 years) unless you are an irresponsible consumer, but have just enough self control to not put a credit card in your own hands.

And what are the better ways to earn a little cash back or points for, whatever you may use them for, for free?

Please be specific, because if it's free money earned, I'm all about it!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many good points above. We avoid debit cards since once the money is taken out it's gone period. We had a few fradualent CC charges which got resolved. One was a $900 pair of hiking boots (not a typo) and they called UPS the day before delivery and changed the address and a "lady" took delivery.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And pre-paid debit cards have fees. Even the good ones. Nothing's free. Even the one GDE posted has a dormancy fee if you don't use it for a month, a per transaction fee and other misc less likely fees. Not huge, but GDE would rather pay $1 per transaction than pay off a credit card monthly and get a "measly" $20 back?
If you don't understand that pre-paid debit cards are designed for those that DON'T have money, credit or the ability to maintain bank accounts then "you" should look at your own finances and spending habits, not post ridiculous claims about how bad credit cards are.

It's akin to posting how "bad" whiskey is and how stupid people are for drinking it, because every time you drink it, you get sick and have a hangover the next day.
News flash, it's not the whiskey's fault, just like it's not the credit card's fault!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP, I've never seen the advantage of a fuel company credit card.
First, it limits you to fueling only at that business if you want to maximize the rewards or cash back. And it's generally not the cheapest fuel. Get a Shell card and pay Shell prices?
That's a losing proposition, if you're paying $.20 more a gallon and getting $.05 back.

Pick a card or 2 that you like the rewards on and use them for everything.
Personally, we use Alaska airlines. Between the card and the mileage plan, it's good for maybe $1000 a year in benefits and rewards. Maybe less with cheap plane tickets recently. Heck, it saves $80 in baggage fees a half dozen times a year or more just to bring our son's hockey sticks (separate oversize baggage in addition to the other checked bags that typically is charged for, so with other airlines, we pay approximately $20 per pound to ship his sticks when going to a tourney or showcase.) Sometimes that's the better deal, but with Alaskaair, frequently it's the cheapest deal to fly.

Other card is Chase Sapphire. Good rewards that get used for rental cars or hotels when they build up.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gas station cards as well as Costco etc are affinity cards or branded cards. These companies are not banks but a partnership through an existing bank (Citi, Wells, Chase, etc) Shell may offer the card but it's backed and serviced by Citibank. They may be designed to help with discounts on fuel purchases but don't help in many other areas. We like Discover because of the large cash back rewards. We use it for just about every single thing we buy and pay it off at the end of the month. The cash rewards can be used toward the bill itself or credit for purchases. Most of our Amazon purchases are free because they allow us to apply credits there.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandia Man wrote:

My DW would kill me if she found out I used credit to pay for gas, any rewards credit card we have ever been offered has always had a bit higher percentage rate than their non-rewards card. Businesses have many gimmicks to separate us from our hard earned cash, we all know nothing is really free, somewhere they get you way more than they give you back. We always use bank cards that access our checking accounts directly, takes $200 to fill our Class A at current prices.

If you pay off a credit card every month then you pay no interest and get the added benefit of credits or points. Technically it costs you nothing.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandia Man wrote:

They only get ya if you can't manage to pay them off monthly. And obviously they make a pile of money on interest and fees. So, if it seems like the CC company is out to get you, it's you, not them.

Which brings about card fees from the sellers. Sometimes, mostly large purchases, the seller will charge or attempt to pass off the card fee to the buyer. Sometimes it's worth paying it, if it's the best option and a good enough deal. Sometimes, if you're smart, you "could" use a card but instead offer cash at a discount to YOU.
I've only really seen this happen like when I bought a snowmobile from a dealer. They weren't willing to eat the transaction fee on such a large purchase, but it was the right choice for me, so payed it.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Many good points above. We avoid debit cards since once the money is taken out it's gone period. We had a few fradualent CC charges which got resolved. One was a $900 pair of hiking boots (not a typo) and they called UPS the day before delivery and changed the address and a "lady" took delivery.

You make a good point.. We generally don't use our bank debit/credit card on trips or on the Internet.. That could get ugly in a hurry since that bank card can be used either way and if compromised they could easily empty the checking AND the attached bank savings account..

the only real credit card we have is mainly used for Internet purchases so we do not have to use our Bank card.

Generally only use our bank card at local grocery, WM, Sams.. All other is mainly cash only..

Prepaid "debit" cards are a whole different animal, pay a small fee ($4) and put up to $500 on it..

Works and acts like like a debit/credit card for the most part but now you have complete isolation from your bank debit/credit card including your name, address or any other form of your identity.. Someone steels the numbers of that card, the absolute max they can get is the leftovers from filling up.. And with a truck that has 34 gallon tank plus we haul a extra 15 gallon spare reserve bed tank a fill up can take $130 or a bit better..

With prepaid debit cards, if you venture too far from the originating zipcode, the card readers you use it in WILL ask for the zipcode it was purchased in.. Lots of zipcodes to choose from and that would frustrate a skimmer thief..

This way we can plug the prepaid card into any station reader and even if there is a skimmer on the pump, they get virtually nothing for their efforts from me..

Add in that most stations often will put a "hold" on the account numbers for $75-$100 which can trigger your CC or bank card to be declined at the next fill up if the hold is not removed fast enough (typically holds are dropped in 24 hrs but some places may take two or three days to clear).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Gas Credit Cards
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.