RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2020 sales

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2020 sales

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/19/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not seen this posted, but I have been gone a bit.

https://www.dieselforum.org/vehiclesales/u-s-vehicle-sales-dashboard

In the US of A, we sold almost 14.5 million vehicles, about 1.5 million were alternate fuel and of that about 659 thousand were diesel. The rest of the 1.5 million were electric, hybrid, and so on.

In the 3/4 ton and up, Ford, Ram and the GM twins (added together) all sold over 100,000 each. The number of Sprinter diesels really surprised me.

As Arte Johnson used to say: "Verrrry interesting" but I hope not a repeat.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Online
Posted: 02/19/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a link for easy access.

Link


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


otrfun

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/19/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GM HD trucks outsold Ford HD trucks by a huge margin in Q4 2020.

GM (Chevy/GMC) HD trucks 69,500
Ford HD trucks 47,610
Ram HD trucks 35,477

I find it interesting that Ford has been steadily losing marketshare to Ram for a number of years. However, if Ram doesn't get an 8-10 sp tranny bolted to their Cummins soon (not to mention a 100% cab update), I can very easily see this trend reversing.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/19/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the end of 2020, GM was only 3K sales behind Ford who was the sales leader (I am not aware of GM ever being that close to selling the same amount of Diesel trucks as Ford). Some may not like the looks of the latest Gen GM HD's but that doesn't seem to be negatively affecting sales. I think this is what happens when you finally build an HD truck with a spec sheet on par with the other two. Too bad it too so long for GM to connect those dots. The internet has been saying it to GM for years.


2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/19/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

At the end of 2020, GM was only 3K sales behind Ford who was the sales leader (I am not aware of GM ever being that close to selling the same amount of Diesel trucks as Ford). Some may not like the looks of the latest Gen GM HD's but that doesn't seem to be negatively affecting sales. I think this is what happens when you finally build an HD truck with a spec sheet on par with the other two. Too bad it too so long for GM to connect those dots. The internet has been saying it to GM for years.


Wait.... maybe I am missing something??????

Ford Diesel - 161,376
GM Diesel combined - 117,594

I think that is a bit more than 3k [emoticon]


Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet


ksss

Eastern Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/19/21 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford Super-Duty Diesel Comm Diesel Pickup 161,376 185,460
Ram Ram Pickup 2500/3500 Diesel Comm Diesel Pickup 114,067 122,525
Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 Diesel Comm Diesel Pickup 74,173 99,891
GMC Sierra 2500/3500 Diesel Comm Diesel Pickup 43,421 82,475

That didn't copy as I hoped it would. The 2020 totals for GMC is 82475/Chevy 99891/ Ram 122525/Ford 185460.

GM's combined truck sales 182366 Ford is 185460.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/19/21 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

GM HD trucks outsold Ford HD trucks by a huge margin in Q4 2020.

GM (Chevy/GMC) HD trucks 69,500
Ford HD trucks 47,610
Ram HD trucks 35,477

I find it interesting that Ford has been steadily losing marketshare to Ram for a number of years. However, if Ram doesn't get an 8-10 sp tranny bolted to their Cummins soon (not to mention a 100% cab update), I can very easily see this trend reversing.


The CUMMINS does not need more gears.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/20/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomas201 wrote:

...Arte Johnson...


Who dat?


2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

otrfun

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/20/21 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

otrfun wrote:

GM HD trucks outsold Ford HD trucks by a huge margin in Q4 2020.

GM (Chevy/GMC) HD trucks 69,500
Ford HD trucks 47,610
Ram HD trucks 35,477

I find it interesting that Ford has been steadily losing marketshare to Ram for a number of years. However, if Ram doesn't get an 8-10 sp tranny bolted to their Cummins soon (not to mention a 100% cab update), I can very easily see this trend reversing.
The CUMMINS does not need more gears.
To a point I agree. I've been very happy with the 6-sp in our Cummins.

However, my comment is more about "sales and marketing" than raw performance.

There's a big reason why the Big 3 are in a torque war with their diesels. High torque numbers sell more trucks. Same applies to the number of transmission gears. The average Joe has been led to believe more transmission gears equates to better fuel economy and a smoother, more efficient driving experience---doesn't matter whether it's true or not.

Ram will eventually discover it's cheaper to bolt an 10 speed tranny to their Cummins and let the number "10" speak for itself, then spend millions and millions of marketing dollars trying to convince everyone their 6-speed tranny is as good as Ford & Chevy's 10-speed.

Marketing sometimes has nothing to do performance. Sometimes it's all about perception.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Online
Posted: 02/20/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

otrfun wrote:

GM HD trucks outsold Ford HD trucks by a huge margin in Q4 2020.

GM (Chevy/GMC) HD trucks 69,500
Ford HD trucks 47,610
Ram HD trucks 35,477

I find it interesting that Ford has been steadily losing marketshare to Ram for a number of years. However, if Ram doesn't get an 8-10 sp tranny bolted to their Cummins soon (not to mention a 100% cab update), I can very easily see this trend reversing.
The CUMMINS does not need more gears.
To a point I agree. I've been very happy with the 6-sp in our Cummins.

However, my comment is more about "sales and marketing" than raw performance.

There's a big reason why the Big 3 are in a torque war with their diesels. High torque numbers sell more trucks. Same applies to the number of transmission gears. The average Joe has been led to believe more transmission gears equates to better fuel economy and a smoother, more efficient driving experience---doesn't matter whether it's true or not.

Bottom line, it's much cheaper for Ram to bolt an 10 speed tranny to their Cummins and let the number "10" speak for itself, then spend millions and millions of marketing dollars trying to convince everyone their 6-speed tranny is fine as-is.

Marketing sometimes has nothing to do performance. Sometimes it's all about perception.


Ram didn't need to bump up the torque in their diesel trucks.... But they did!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2020 sales
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.