|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel tire review

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Notice how many comments mention “load”. Upgrade to a higher load range tires and you’ll notice a big difference. I have G rated tires on my 5th wheel and have had great luck with them.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, but with less than 3,000 lbs. on a tire, a tire with a load rating of over 4,000 lbs. is not needed, and, in fact, may give a much rougher ride. More is not always better.

In fact when I get new tires I may go to LT E-rated tires. I have 12,000 lbs. on 6 tires, and have weighed all tires, and my heaviest load is 2,500 lbs. on two tires. Tell me why I need G-rated tires on my toyhauler.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I found information about the Bridgestone R500HD. I had 5 installed, my weight on the axles is correct for these tires. I had rig weighted when I was going on a trip with all loaded. These are commercial rated tires for work vehicles. Good tread for a trailer tire.

The R500 Bridgestones LT E at 3042 lbs per tire have been around for years and have always been one of the better choices for rv trailers and commercial work trailers with 5.2k and 6k axles. Commercial haulers find with a LT tire we don't need a huge amount of reserve capacity like ST E tires require.
If you do a lot of road miles per year you will find more miles of service with a LT E with 14 to 16/32nds of tread depth than any ST E tire like a Endurance with just 9/32nds tread depth. Big deal for those of us that see high miles of road service.
Keep those R500 Bridgestones pumped to the max for max service

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

DogTrainer

Tulsa, Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Year Endurance

2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Yeah, but with less than 3,000 lbs. on a tire, a tire with a load rating of over 4,000 lbs. is not needed, and, in fact, may give a much rougher ride. More is not always better.

In fact when I get new tires I may go to LT E-rated tires. I have 12,000 lbs. on 6 tires, and have weighed all tires, and my heaviest load is 2,500 lbs. on two tires. Tell me why I need G-rated tires on my toyhauler.

Quality tires there is no need to up Load range unless you are on the edge.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DogTrainer wrote:

Good Year Endurance

Stellar performance.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a similar amount of research before buying tires for my 5th wheel this past year. Based on the weight of my trailer the LT-E tire made more sense than the ST-E tire. I don't need a G rated tire so no reason to spend the extra money. Tires wear out over time before they wear out, so the G doesn't do anything for you unless you need the weight rating. Most dealers want to sell you an ST tire for a trailer, but when you get to talking to them and discussing the differences between an ST and LT tire, the LT tire wins every time. A tire that is designed for a truck has to go through a much more rigorous design and build process, so it is built better. An ST tire is for going straight and they claim stiffer sidewalls, but take a couple tires that are not mounted, the LT tire is much stiffer. Think about the stress of taking a truck off road, a stronger tire is necessary. I went with a Goodyear Wrangler which is the same tire I have on my horse trailer which weighs 8K LBS, not as much as the 5th wheel, but both within the load limits. For reference, my horse trailer tires are 5 years old, the last set went 10 before replacing. I won't wait that long, probably change this year, but I can sell the old tires to someone with a ford truck as the tire size is the same. Can't do that with an ST tire.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually price doesn't even enter into it. The LT E-rated tires cost more than the G-rated ST tires. The Bridgestone from SimpleTire is over $192, and the Sailun, same size, G-rated ST tire is $162.

That's probably why I'll stick to the Sailun, superior performance, low cost, and low maintenance.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/21 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I paid $141 each for Goodyear Wrangler HT. Seemed like a good price at the time. I don't recall seeing Sailun for $162 even from Walmart. I do recall the Wranglers were less than the Endurance but close in price.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, quite a few places have the Sailun for around $160, including Amazon. Walmart was showing about $163. $141 sounds good for the Goodyear Wrangler, though.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel tire review
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.