RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Texas winterizing...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Texas winterizing...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Can somebody tell me though why their water pipes are in their ceiling?

I've only seen/ heard of that in a few homes. Mostly older homes not on concrete slabs, like the home where I was raised in Arkansas.

Bare pipes hanging below the floor in an open crawl space, or in a semi-heated ceiling space.

Now my dad put the plumbing in the house, and he wasn't climbing in the attic.

Maybe more in the southern part of the state. Around Dallas where all new construction since the 70's has been on concrete slabs, the pipes are buried in the slab.

We had one breakage in the severe cold spell (9 degrees in a north Dallas suburb in 2011) and that was an outside water faucet.

But several other homes in the newish subdivision built after 2005 had pipes in the slabs freeze and break. Tearing up a slab to find, replace broken pipes if EXPENSIVE.

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

And I understand they had this deep freeze in 1977. So why did not bother and someone in state leadership teach them to winterize or empty their water pipes?

Two things. We had freezes this bad or worse in some places in 1989, and 2011 - in my time in the Dallas area. Was in Meridian MS in 1977 with the US Navy.

But no previous freeze/ winter storm has ever put all of the entire state into below freezing temperatures. Or as much of the state down below zero.

As far as state leadership - that is a political suicide concept, the state telling people how to build their homes, how to winterize, etc. A man's home is his castle in Texas, provided he has 40+ acres and can stay out of a Special Utility District.

Probably half the counties in Texas do not even require permits for electical, plumbing or such work. No inspection of new homes being built.

Some places there are minimal restrictions about well drilling if the land is over an aquifer. Folks in Texas complain if they are close enough to a water supply lake and have to comply with EPA standards for septic systems.

Now, if you live in an area covered by an HOA, well HOA's have more power than the National Guard or FBI in Texas.

Etstorm wrote:

My understanding is a different type of gear oil for the wind turbines (likely cheaper) is used in Texas due to the high Summer heat but freezes when cold.

Maybe. ERCOT and Gov Abbot say that 79% of the wind turbines in Texas stayed in operation with no problem.

After 2011, the state of Texas did support requiring wind turbines to be upgraded to standards to protect them in temps down to 20 degrees. Less than 1/4 of them were upgraded, and only new turbines installed in the past few years had to be up to that standard.

-------------------------

Everything in Texas is about costs. A year from now, almost no one will care about winterizing, preparations, making the power grid more reliable.

Especially is they are stuck with high power bills for this past week or the next week.

The utility companies have ZERO incentive to plan and build for extraordinary occurences, cold, heat, flood, drought.

Because the 'wonderful' competition for electric providers and lower rates, means basically everyone wants the bare minimum.

Higher safety, reliability, protection - they are not going to pay one penny per KWH more for that. Cheap, cheap, cheap -is the mantra in Texas, and every other state we have visited.

* This post was edited 02/19/21 01:02pm by PawPaw_n_Gram *

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got news for ya: cold snaps of this ilk happen in Texas every 10 years or so. It happened in 2011, it happened in 2002 (or thereabouts). With climate change (whether you believe in it or not, Ma Nature does not care), expect it more often and more severe. Any takers on whether Texas will be in better shape next time it happens? And it WILL happen again.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NO problem with pipes in the ceiling provided two things

ONE: The furnace works (Which it does not without power)
Two: The insulation (or another floor) is ABOVE the pipes.

Had my house insulated and the blasted kitchen pipes froze. Well the insulation was between the pipes and the inside. I dug it out and insulated between the pipes and OUTSIDE no more problems.

As to power. When the national grids were purposed there were rules and regulations including some about winterizing.. Texas opted to not join the grid so they did not have to spend the few dollars to winterize... and now they are freezing their Rumps.... Profit over People. that's the reason for the freezin.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

I got news for ya: cold snaps of this ilk happen in Texas every 10 years or so. It happened in 2011, it happened in 2002 (or thereabouts). With climate change (whether you believe in it or not, Ma Nature does not care), expect it more often and more severe. Any takers on whether Texas will be in better shape next time it happens? And it WILL happen again.

And I'll watch if there will be pressure among it's citizens to abandon their unregulated and "independent" electrical grid after the massive deaths and sufferings.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why water pipes in the ceiling? Hasn't anyone ever seen two story houses with upstairs plumbing?

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sam,

A lot of Texas people, a sizeable percentage of voters, don't even thing Covid had caused widespread deaths and suffering.

Unless it happens to them personally, it's just a media myth.

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't understand why all the house flooding because of busted water lines. Do people not think anymore. You know your not going to have power for several days and know you have no heat and it's below freezing. Turn the dang water main valve off! At least you you may have to repair a busted pipe somewhere later but it's not going to flood the house.

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People will spend millions repairing the damage caused by saving thousands not winterizing the equipment. But the people that saved the thousands will not be paying the millions.
Bell, messages are going out about how the jump in spot price of NG will be a windfall.

bguy

The Rock

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

I don't understand why all the house flooding because of busted water lines. Do people not think anymore. You know your not going to have power for several days and know you have no heat and it's below freezing. Turn the dang water main valve off! At least you you may have to repair a busted pipe somewhere later but it's not going to flood the house.

Running water doesn't freeze.

---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This photo from Texas comes to my mind. [emoticon]

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Texas winterizing...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.