RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Why is 5th wheel standard vs Gooseneck?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Why is 5th wheel standard vs Gooseneck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been doing a lot of research in my preparation for buying a fifth wheel. One of the things that has surprised me is the use of the 5th wheel over a gooseneck design. Considering the weight and space taken in the bed of the truck, why aren't goosenecks a standard in the first place?

For my own needs, I already have a gooseneck ball in my truck so I'll be doing the Reese Goosebox from the start as it seems to be the best option out there. Just curious if there was a solid explanation on why the industry went one direction versus the other...

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My guess would be easier hook-up. With a 5th wheel you have about a 10 inch wedge you need to fit a 3 inch pin into. With the goose you need to get the things ligned up almost perfectly to lower it onto the ball.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is due to the frame stresses. Look at how heavily built your goose neck trailers are up front. It would cost too much to build an RV that heavy.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with both of above. Easier hookup since it is self aligning side to side and stops and self latches when the pin is all the way inserted. And no safety chains required.

And the manufacturers don’t have to build the frame as structurally strong, meaning less expensive. Broken frame welds is not uncommon even with a 5th wheel hitch. That is why some manufacturers say they will void the warranty if you use a gooseneck adapter.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reese Goosebox weighs about 225lbs. My Pullrite Superglide weighs nearly 300, but I know other 5th wheel hitches weigh less than 300, so weight difference is probably overall minimal. Of course, if Goosebox REPLACES existing pinbox (which Im guessing it does), then weight differential is greater.

I believe the Reese Goosebox is the only gooseneck that Lippert will not void the warranty if you use.

Ease of hookup is another Im sure, but how much harder is it to hook up a gooseneck than it is to hook up a bumper pull TT?

In terms of why INDUSTRY went this way, Im sure it had to do with the frame stresses and the ability for manufacturers to use cheaper pin boxes, and not have to worry about compatibility. If a buyer wants a different pinbox, they will ask for it and pay for it accordingly.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

Reese Goosebox weighs about 225lbs. My Pullrite Superglide weighs nearly 300, but I know other 5th wheel hitches weigh less than 300, so weight difference is probably overall minimal. Of course, if Goosebox REPLACES existing pinbox (which Im guessing it does), then weight differential is greater.

I believe the Reese Goosebox is the only gooseneck that Lippert will not void the warranty if you use.

Ease of hookup is another Im sure, but how much harder is it to hook up a gooseneck than it is to hook up a bumper pull TT?

In terms of why INDUSTRY went this way, Im sure it had to do with the frame stresses and the ability for manufacturers to use cheaper pin boxes, and not have to worry about compatibility. If a buyer wants a different pinbox, they will ask for it and pay for it accordingly.

Mike

With Lippert Frame I would be hesitant to use ANY gooseneck set up

5vrs frame rails for overhead are straight and set wide apart with pin box attached to small channels/brackets
Gooseneck places stress/weight directly upward onto the pin box which does limit distributing of the stress/weight to the outward frames which are NOT braced

Gooseneck trailer has Large Bracing, frames are heavy structure that come to a center point where stress/weight gets distributed back thru those heavy frames to trailer structure supported by the heavy bracing

Simple physics...weight/stress distribution

5vr...use a 5th wheel hitch
Gooseneck...use a ball hitch

* This post was edited 02/19/21 06:47pm by Old-Biscuit *

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

It is due to the frame stresses. Look at how heavily built your goose neck trailers are up front. It would cost too much to build an RV that heavy.

Most of the RV's on the market have frames made by Lippert. Lippert endorses the use of the Reese Goose Box with their frames so apparently the frames don't need to be any heavier or cost anymore than they already do.

I'm with Adamis, they should at least make it a factory option so you don't have to toss the factory boat anchor when you make the swap. New Horizons makes the Gen Y available on their units.

Aside from ease of hitching there is a lot to like with a gooseneck over a std. hitch.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do not want a goose neck trailer. They are harder to hook up, require chains and over stress the RV frames that are designed for a 5th wheel.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

Most of the RV's on the market have frames made by Lippert. Lippert endorses the use of the Reese Goose Box with their frames so apparently the frames don't need to be any heavier or cost anymore than they already do.

I'm with Adamis, they should at least make it a factory option so you don't have to toss the factory boat anchor when you make the swap. New Horizons makes the Gen Y available on their units.

Aside from ease of hitching there is a lot to like with a gooseneck over a std. hitch.

Lippert 5th wheel frame failures and these were using standard 5th wheel hitch....Lippert/JUNK ---words are interchangeable!

Lippert approves Reese Goose Box cause THEY own it

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Could Post all day long but you should do a little bit of research.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

Most of the RV's on the market have frames made by Lippert. Lippert endorses the use of the Reese Goose Box with their frames so apparently the frames don't need to be any heavier or cost anymore than they already do.........

They endorse the Goosebox because it has an air bag and shock absorber like the air ride pin boxes to reduce the road shock to the frame.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Why is 5th wheel standard vs Gooseneck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.