RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Why is 5th wheel standard vs Gooseneck?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Why is 5th wheel standard vs Gooseneck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2009

View Profile



Posted: 02/19/21 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

work2much wrote:

..........

Most of the RV's on the market have frames made by Lippert. Lippert endorses the use of the Reese Goose Box with their frames so apparently the frames don't need to be any heavier or cost anymore than they already do.........
.

They endorse the Goosebox because it has an air bag and shock absorber like the air ride pin boxes to reduce the road shock to the frame.



[image]


Is it time for your medication or mine?


2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

adamis

Northern California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/19/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think some sort of shock supression is essential for either Gooseneck or 5th wheel. The failure on the frame is happening because of the intense shock caused by nearly 3000 lbs hitting repeatedly. Put the airbag in the equation and those intense shocks are reduced substantially. I suspect the Goosebox is approved specifically because of this vibration dampening.


1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper


Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/19/21 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

I think some sort of shock supression is essential for either Gooseneck or 5th wheel. The failure on the frame is happening because of the intense shock caused by nearly 3000 lbs hitting repeatedly. Put the airbag in the equation and those intense shocks are reduced substantially. I suspect the Goosebox is approved specifically because of this vibration dampening.

I agree air some form of air suppression is good however 90% of 5'ers do not have any air suppression. With that in mind your basic 5th wheel hitch provides a larger platform/contact area to absorb and spread the forces of impact to the pin box vs. a typical gooseneck hitch.


19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


JTrac

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 10/27/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/19/21 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I researched the Goose Box for several months before I bought one. I only found one issue and that was in 2015 when a fellow hit a road hazard of some sort and had frame damage. It was so bad that even his truck shut down so not sure if there would have been damage not matter what hitch. I never found any complaints of frame damage related to the Goose Box other than this one incident. I would stand to be corrected if someone knows of more. Reese introduced the Box in 2012 so plenty of time for complaints.

We changed from a 2107 F350 dually and an Excel fifth wheel last year. We towed the Excel with a Trailer Saver BD3 air ride hitch. We downsized somewhat to the Pinnacle, a single rear wheel F350 and the Goose Box. The ride is a lot better than what we had with the previous rig. It is smoother with very little rebound after hitting a bump but it may be an apples to oranges comparison as so many dynamics contribute to the type of ride you will have. Of the several truck/fifth wheel combo's we have had in past 30 years, this is the best riding. All that is good but the best part is I remove a 5 pound ball and my truck bed is ready for use. I do use safety chains but it only takes a few seconds to hook them up to the clips on my puck system.

Hookup is a breeze with the cab mounted camera on our truck. I can see where it might be a little more difficult without it.


JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

wowens79

Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/19/21 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why is a gooseneck harder on the trailer frame than a 5er? Is it because the length of the neck down to the ball is longer than a 5er?
We are thinking of going from a TT to a 5er, and just trying to learn.


2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

Senior Member

Joined: 11/17/2000

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 02/19/21 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

Why is a gooseneck harder on the trailer frame than a 5er? Is it because the length of the neck down to the ball is longer than a 5er?
We are thinking of going from a TT to a 5er, and just trying to learn.


The lever arm on the GN is longer than on a 5th wheel pinbox. On either one, it takes the same force to move the trailer forward. With the longer lever arm and the same force, you get a higher stress transferred to the frame where the pinbox attaches.

Ken


Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

work2much

On the Road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/30/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/19/21 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

work2much wrote:

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

It is due to the frame stresses. Look at how heavily built your goose neck trailers are up front. It would cost too much to build an RV that heavy.


Most of the RV's on the market have frames made by Lippert. Lippert endorses the use of the Reese Goose Box with their frames so apparently the frames don't need to be any heavier or cost anymore than they already do.

I'm with Adamis, they should at least make it a factory option so you don't have to toss the factory boat anchor when you make the swap. New Horizons makes the Gen Y available on their units.

Aside from ease of hitching there is a lot to like with a gooseneck over a std. hitch.


Lippert 5th wheel frame failures and these were using standard 5th wheel hitch....Lippert/JUNK ---words are interchangeable!

Lippert approves Reese Goose Box cause THEY own it

[image]

[image]


[image]

[image]


Could Post all day long but you should do a little bit of research.


So to make your point you post a traditional kingpin and a bent frame from an obvious traumatic impact? Nothing remotely related to a Goose Box..

The goose box adapter Reese makes is more like a kingpin that fits a ball instead of a hitch.

Turning off the gaslight now...


2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

work2much

On the Road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/30/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/19/21 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

Why is a gooseneck harder on the trailer frame than a 5er? Is it because the length of the neck down to the ball is longer than a 5er?
We are thinking of going from a TT to a 5er, and just trying to learn.


It isn't with a modern gooseneck adaptor like a Reese Goose Box.

work2much

On the Road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/30/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/19/21 11:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

I think some sort of shock supression is essential for either Gooseneck or 5th wheel. The failure on the frame is happening because of the intense shock caused by nearly 3000 lbs hitting repeatedly. Put the airbag in the equation and those intense shocks are reduced substantially. I suspect the Goosebox is approved specifically because of this vibration dampening.


Yes.

This from Jason Lippert:

The airbag technology used in the Goose Box reduces the stress transferred to the RV frame. The combination of the airbag, dual shocks and rubber bumpers used in the Goose Box provides multi-directional shock absorption for a smoother driving experience that RV enthusiasts will greatly appreciate.

* This post was edited 02/19/21 11:52pm by work2much *

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 02/20/21 12:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

wowens79 wrote:

Why is a gooseneck harder on the trailer frame than a 5er? Is it because the length of the neck down to the ball is longer than a 5er?
We are thinking of going from a TT to a 5er, and just trying to learn.


It isn't with a modern gooseneck adaptor like a Reese Goose Box.



The Goose Box puts the same torsion on a 5ver frame as any other design goose neck adapter.


2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Why is 5th wheel standard vs Gooseneck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.