RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Why is 5th wheel standard vs Gooseneck?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Why is 5th wheel standard vs Gooseneck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 12:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As well as some of the reasons already mentioned favouring 5th wheel hitch I think making a hitching error with a ball hitch is more likely than with a 5th wheel coupler.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

work2much wrote:

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

It is due to the frame stresses. Look at how heavily built your goose neck trailers are up front. It would cost too much to build an RV that heavy.

Most of the RV's on the market have frames made by Lippert. Lippert endorses the use of the Reese Goose Box with their frames so apparently the frames don't need to be any heavier or cost anymore than they already do.

I'm with Adamis, they should at least make it a factory option so you don't have to toss the factory boat anchor when you make the swap. New Horizons makes the Gen Y available on their units.

Aside from ease of hitching there is a lot to like with a gooseneck over a std. hitch.

Lippert 5th wheel frame failures and these were using standard 5th wheel hitch....Lippert/JUNK ---words are interchangeable!

Lippert approves Reese Goose Box cause THEY own it

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Could Post all day long but you should do a little bit of research.

To be fair Lippert builds them to what the rv manufacturer designed. Lippert could build the most stout frame imaginable if the rv manufacturer designed the frame that way.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

wowens79 wrote:

Why is a gooseneck harder on the trailer frame than a 5er? Is it because the length of the neck down to the ball is longer than a 5er?
We are thinking of going from a TT to a 5er, and just trying to learn.

The lever arm on the GN is longer than on a 5th wheel pinbox. On either one, it takes the same force to move the trailer forward. With the longer lever arm and the same force, you get a higher stress transferred to the frame where the pinbox attaches.

Ken

Thanks Ken. That is what I was wondering.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

wowens79 wrote:

Why is a gooseneck harder on the trailer frame than a 5er? Is it because the length of the neck down to the ball is longer than a 5er?

It isn't with a modern gooseneck adaptor like a Reese Goose Box.

it would have to be to maintin the trailer high while mounting in the ball in the floor of the bed. your mising the whole hight of the 5th wheel hitch it has to make up for.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

ZeeLet50

Alden, New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And with todays technology of cameras on the cab its easier to line up the ball. I have an Andersen hitch which uses the ball style hookup and I can align it by myself just using the camera without getting out of the seat.

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not everyone has all the cameras, but I can see my fifthwheel hitch in my rear view mirror, but not the floor of the bed.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

Not everyone has all the cameras, but I can see my fifthwheel hitch in my rear view mirror, but not the floor of the bed.

I agree, fifth wheel hitches are by nature are easier to hitch. Don't have to over raise the fifth like a gooseneck or be concerned about to far forward or backward, chains etc. Plus my fifth wheel hitch breaks down into easily manageable pieces if I need to quickly take it out.

If I were to do any sort of gooseneck type it would be a Reese Goosebox. Goose neck extensions and the Andersen types have no appeal to me.

Dan

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

work2much wrote:

wowens79 wrote:

It isn't with a modern gooseneck adaptor like a Reese Goose Box.

it would have to be to maintin the trailer high while mounting in the ball in the floor of the bed. your mising the whole hight of the 5th wheel hitch it has to make up for.

Steve

The additional torque of a gooseneck adapter would be greatest during acceleration and deceleration. But the air bag, shock absorbers, and rubber bumpers of a Goosebox would soften that impact vs a rigid gooseneck adapter.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a trailer Saver now (TS3). If I were to make a change I would consider the Goose Box as it has some real design advantages. The attachment point to the truck is low reducing the hitch angle which reduces the amount of chucking forces relative to bouncing forces created by the trailer. Consider the Goose Box image; the forward high hinge point relative to the ball will allow the hitch to retract some when compressed thus mitigating some chucking forces. Solid engineering was used when designing the box.

Any type of soft joint hitch/pin box has to be easier on the trailer frame than a solid hitch and solid pin box.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

I have a trailer Saver now (TS3). If I were to make a change I would consider the Goose Box as it has some real design advantages. The attachment point to the truck is low reducing the hitch angle which reduces the amount of chucking forces relative to bouncing forces created by the trailer. Consider the Goose Box image; the forward high hinge point relative to the ball will allow the hitch to retract some when compressed thus mitigating some chucking forces. Solid engineering was used when designing the box.

Any type of soft joint hitch/pin box has to be easier on the trailer frame than a solid hitch and solid pin box.

Yes But the long shaft of the adapter will always create more leverage on the pin box. I don't think I can consider the Goose box a foolproof advantage for 5th wheel towing unless the pin box attachment to the fiver is also altered and reinforced in someway.
A long pipe on a pipe wrench will always create more force/leverage on that lug nut and allow you to turn the nut vs. a wrench with no extension.
Air cushioning and absorption are secondary factors.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Why is 5th wheel standard vs Gooseneck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.