|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Your worst nightmare

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ala........ng-outhouse-attacked-bear-below-n1258348

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seventy or more years ago we had an outhouse and every Christmas all us kids would get a new flashlight . Your final trip out back before bed was always scary as there were bears , wildcats , zombies , Indians and other bad stuff ! I would rush to get in to the outhouse before something got me . Then you would search the interior of the outhouse and as a last act you would look down into the hole , looking for bears , wildcats , zombies , Indians or other bad stuff . Scary times for a six year old .

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

Seventy or more years ago we had an outhouse and every Christmas all us kids would get a new flashlight . Your final trip out back before bed was always scary as there were bears , wildcats , zombies , Indians and other bad stuff ! I would rush to get in to the outhouse before something got me . Then you would search the interior of the outhouse and as a last act you would look down into the hole , looking for bears , wildcats , zombies , Indians or other bad stuff . Scary times for a six year old .
I never feared those things in our outhouse, they were all hiding under my bed when the lights were off. [emoticon]

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of outhouses:
Quite a few years ago I used to do my bike training rides in a rural NC mountain road that ran along beside a river. In one place there was an old abandoned country church that had a old outhouse right beside it.
On one ride I stopped to use it - got inside and closed the door which made it totally dark. I dropped my bike shorts and sat on the old wooden one holer and the next thing I heard was a loud buzzing. Needless to say all systems stopped and I made a bee line (no pun intended) for the outside. As I was exiting with only a couple of stings I happened to look up and right hanging from the underside of the roof was a humongous paper wasp globe.
I finished my business on the outside behind the outhouse

Guy

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

High School age...Buddy & I would frequently go backpacking in the Local Mountains
Drive the 4x4 up in the back country then hike/camp for the weekend

One Sunday AM out for stroll after breakfast when we encounter Mama and her 2 cubs>
She seemed upset about that and approached. Now you hear tell 'Do NOT run'
YEAH right!
WE hightailed it down the side of a slope and came across an old wrecked bus ----ducked inside hiding out. She circled the bus several times, snarling, pushed on the doors but they luckily stayed closed.

She finally headed off to gather up her brood ----but we didn't leave for another hour or so

Seems there was an old logging road along the rim ...why a bus was traveling it/crashed we never did figure out. But sure was grateful it was there !!!!

We were always getting ourselves into the 'soup' as teenagers---lived to tell about it LOL

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not my worst nightmare, though I did see a Cottonmouth come out of an outhouse once.

I divorced my worst nightmare in 1984.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bear doesn't stand a chance. It'd break all four legs chasing me.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Bear doesn't stand a chance. It'd break all four legs chasing me.

First rule of thumb - DON'T RUN! How ya gonna beat a bear with your pants down LOL???

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a joke. They would SLIP. I have as much experience with grizzlies and black bears as many people.

Cooking bacon and a propane leak attracts bears like nothing you've ever seen.

Not even the most evil tempered boar will face down a five-foot blast of LPG fire from a pipe and valve. Just don't start a forest fire in the process. Not intended to even singe fur, but to intimidate.

Remote camping: Few roaming black bears will not run off if a two mantle lantern is lit off in the pitch black. I kept one near my tent zipper. Why this works I don't know but more than a half dozen encounters have shown me it works.

Sow grizzlies with cubs must be avoided even to the point of backing into an ice-cold lake. Sows are smaller but much faster especially when they, not you, think their cubs are in danger. A sow will rain on a boar's parade with jaw dropping ferocity.

A pair of herd dogs is my favorite protection. They are fast and agile. Not even the biggest and meanest pit bull stands a chance against a grizzly. Dogs are the best intruder alarm, and can detect bears by scent while hiking and at night.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Your worst nightmare
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.