RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: South Lake Michigan

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MikeDupont

TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

Wow. Just... wow! As someone who grew up in Michigan and who tries to get back nearly every summer to the beautiful lakes and trees of that state, my mind is boggled! How in the world can anyone visit all 49 of the other states and miss this gem?

I hope you decide to leave about 3 days earlier and tour Michigan. You'll skip the horrible Chicago traffic by driving up the Lake Michigan side, over the mighty Mackinaw Bridge, and through the Upper Peninsula. Many great sights to see along the way. Then follow US 2 westward!

(edit: I've assumed you are doing this in summer weather. If you are contemplating an imminent departure, forget what I said... Michigan is probably just white right now.)

I was floored also. MI is in my top handful of states to visit. And you are doing yourself a Tremendous disservice by not spending some time in the UP. I had never been there until i attended an in-laws wedding in Marquette but after that I look forward to going back as often as possible. I just avoid the cities.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Early May is still going to be on the 'cool' side weather wise especially by lake Michigan. Be sure to bring along the coats. You've made your plans and the Badlands and points west is a good choice although Michigan is worthy of making it a destination to spend a few weeks in. I am formerly of MI. and love where we moved to in East Tennessee so the heads up on the difference in weather in early May is sincere. Just be prepared.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/21 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

Early May is still going to be on the 'cool' side weather wise especially by lake Michigan. Be sure to bring along the coats.

It's a great time to visit.

No you won't be swimming in Lake Michigan but that's a late August/September thing.

But at that time, it's largely past any real risk for snow. Skeeters aren't out yet, so hikes in the wood and such are more pleasant. Flowers are blooming.

And much easier to get reservations.

Been to both dunes parks and I will take the Warren over Indiana. It's not that Indiana is bad just not as nice. Even more great options further north.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

sunfan03

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Ken56 and Tammy and Mike!

Sounds like Michigan will be like the first time we visited Zion NP...a first visit was enough to spark interest to go back. Add it to the list!

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/21 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

ken56 wrote:

Early May is still going to be on the 'cool' side weather wise especially by lake Michigan. Be sure to bring along the coats.

It's a great time to visit.

No you won't be swimming in Lake Michigan but that's a late August/September thing..

I would guess you haven't visited our beaches in late May or June. You will find lots of swimmers. Maybe your thinking of Lake Superior

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/21 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hornet28 wrote:

I would guess you haven't visited our beaches in late May or June. You will find lots of swimmers. Maybe your thinking of Lake Superior

Used to keep our boat on Lake Muskegon. Unless you are doing the polar bear plunge, not many swimming on the big lake that early. Heck of lot of people don't even launch their boats until the end of May.

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

hornet28 wrote:

Used to keep our boat on Lake Muskegon. Unless you are doing the polar bear plunge, not many swimming on the big lake that early. Heck of lot of people don't even launch their boats until the end of May.

I remember as a kid at summer camp in June we would get a patch if we did the "Polar Bear plunge" in Lake Michigan every morning at 7am for the week. The counselors would walk around outside the cabins with their bullhorns yelling "Rise and shine it's Polar bear time!" I remember it being very cold. June the lake can be warm depending on if we have a hot spring but it is a little early on average for me anyway to jump in. Some days it can feel real warm and the next day the wind turns the water over and then it drops 20 degrees.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/21 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

hornet28 wrote:

I guess you must be from a warmer more southern area of the country. We used to skip school in the spring to go to the lake and swim. Heck there were fishing boats on Muskegon Lake in January this year

LowRyter

OKC

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

South Haven, Van Buren St Park.

John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll echo that you haven't seen MI until you've seen the upper part of lower peninsula, and upper peninsula, well that is a must see.

My suggestion, run up the west side of the state, into the UP, and continue your trip at the top of the map.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.