RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: South Lake Michigan

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sunfan03

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Driving up from Nashville to South Michigan to check off the last state in the Union to visit. Heading west afterwards back to the Pacific Northwest.

1) best place on Lake Michigan (Michigan side, preferably close to Indiana/Michigan border) for a brief visit and photo op (teens request)

2) ideas for overnight? 32' Class C motorhome in early May, so probably need electric hook-ups? Was thinking Indiana Dunes State Park after we stop in Michigan

Planning for a long drive from Nashville, so will leave early.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you just want to check a box and get a photo op, just pop up to Warren Dunes State Park and then go back down. Huge disservice to the area but that will prove you were there.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

sunfan03

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't mind staying in Michigan overnight, just wasn't sure where - have you stayed at Warren Dunes SP?

Would love to try and get a short hike and/or spend time along Lake Michigan, but it will likely be the following morning.

Also, want to stop at Indiana Dunes since it's a National Park [emoticon] before continuing West. Trying to make it to the Badlands for DD's 18th birthday, otherwise we'd stay in the area longer.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. Just... wow! As someone who grew up in Michigan and who tries to get back nearly every summer to the beautiful lakes and trees of that state, my mind is boggled! How in the world can anyone visit all 49 of the other states and miss this gem?

I hope you decide to leave about 3 days earlier and tour Michigan. You'll skip the horrible Chicago traffic by driving up the Lake Michigan side, over the mighty Mackinaw Bridge, and through the Upper Peninsula. Many great sights to see along the way. Then follow US 2 westward!

(edit: I've assumed you are doing this in summer weather. If you are contemplating an imminent departure, forget what I said... Michigan is probably just white right now.)

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sunfan03 wrote:

Driving up from Nashville to South Michigan to check off the last state in the Union to visit. Heading west afterwards back to the Pacific Northwest.

1) best place on Lake Michigan (Michigan side, preferably close to Indiana/Michigan border) for a brief visit and photo op (teens request)

2) ideas for overnight? 32' Class C motorhome in early May, so probably need electric hook-ups? Was thinking Indiana Dunes State Park after we stop in Michigan

If your going to Michigan why not make it worth while? Northern Michigan is the best part of the state in my opinion. Very worth while.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

sunfan03 wrote:

If your going to Michigan why not make it worth while? Northern Michigan is the best part of the state in my opinion. Very worth while.

Dan

They don't want to VISIT Michigan; they just want to check it off their list. As stated earlier, just go to Warren Dunes, and then escape through Chicago.

2001 RoadTrek 190

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stayed at Warren Dunes about five years ago. I really liked it. There were wild turkeys roaming the section I stayed in.

Indiana Dunes is going to be more crowded.

Leaving Indiana Dunes take I94 west and pick up I80 west. That keeps you out of Chicago. Getting to I80 will give you a feel of the traffic you will be skirting around. I80 west to I29 north is probably the fastest route to the Bad Lands.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 2400 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

sunfan03

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all. Would love to spend more time and visit Northern Michigan, but that will have to be another trip.

The goal is to pick up DD from college in Nashville and "squeeze" in a family road trip. TBH we contemplated having her take college finals on the road so we could have more time in Michigan, but decided she'd be more successful if she stayed on campus, finished finals and THEN packed out. It's complicated with other factors, so I tried to keep initial post simple.

Any thoughts on overnighting at Warren Dunes vs Indiana Dunes?

Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Warren dunes has wooded sites, sand dunes to climb, lake Michigan Beach. But, get your reservation in.

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sunfan03 wrote:

Any thoughts on overnighting at Warren Dunes vs Indiana Dunes?
Only been to Indiana dunes. Nice place, no complaints. Just showed up with no reservation, don't know what it's like now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.