|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Reservation blues - UPDATED

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL. The last time I went to Arizona, I moved my 5th wheel 3 times. There were no 3 consecutive day spaces. It was no big chore. I didn't really need hook-ups. Just pull in the slide and raise the landing gear and move.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reserving specific sites in public or private camps is contentious. With our without fee to do so, the reservist has the right to demand the site they reserved. Sure you could buy them out, why did they reserve that site, why didnt OP reserve it for the whole 14 days to begin with?
Campsites are not like a hotel room, where they are all the same or next door, just as OP opined, it may not be so much that particular site as it is his backing skills. That issue is one that plagues every camp.
If leaving requires a wiggle, backing in can take more time, more wiggles. learn and get more proficient each time. The lawn chair and a beer crowd do not help, they discourage. Next time you see an inproficient driver, insted of derision, offer help. Rarely Very rarely, was my proficiency in helping to backing declined. Even then it was a 'I have to learn this ' attitude.
A common practice in private camps, that we detested and did not charge when we owned our camp is a Site Lock fee.
In looking back, how it affected our occupancy definitely added to our work load , loss of occupancy and profit margin. It is no different for public camps, If you want a specific site, bookit for all the potential dates pay for them. No camp , cruise ship, hotel, airline, of any lodging or transportation venue will or can refund your unused portion of your reservation. That space was reserved and held for you. Conversely, if you did not reserve the entire time, on that specific site it is open to others who may see the attributes , thats why they reserved it. as well.
We have favorites in many camps for the same reasons.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were to summarize, you are upset because someone reserved your site when you chose not to? How is someone on line supposed to know not to book an open site because you are there and wanted to keep it? If you wanted to stay there why didn't you just book it yourself? Maybe I am missing something.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

If I were to summarize, you are upset because someone reserved your site when you chose not to? How is someone on line supposed to know not to book an open site because you are there and wanted to keep it? If you wanted to stay there why didn't you just book it yourself? Maybe I am missing something.

Yeah, I think your missing something. I believe he said reservations could only be made 3 days out. He found his site open, took it for two days, tried to make the reservation for day 3 through 12 (remember, reservations 3 days out), and someone had already reserved it.

I don't think he's "upset" or mad. He's got the reservation for day 4 through whatever, and hoping he can convince the person who has it for one day to take another spot.

If I were that person, and there were open spots that I could fit into near it, I'd switch no problem. Different story if that was the only site open I could fit in. And I wouldn't accept your money Oldman.. I'd just consider it an act of kindness that is far to rare in today's society unfortunately.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread inspired me to book a weekend space at a CA State campground. Went on a reservation site but dummy me booked at a wrong campground [emoticon] .

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Yeah, I think your missing something. I believe he said reservations could only be made 3 days out. He found his site open, took it for two days, tried to make the reservation for day 3 through 12 (remember, reservations 3 days out), and someone had already reserved it.

I don't think he's "upset" or mad. He's got the reservation for day 4 through whatever, and hoping he can convince the person who has it for one day to take another spot.

If I were that person, and there were open spots that I could fit into near it, I'd switch no problem. Different story if that was the only site open I could fit in. And I wouldn't accept your money Oldman.. I'd just consider it an act of kindness that is far to rare in today's society unfortunately.

Mike

Yes that does make sense. Thanks. I agree, I have no problem switching with another camper. Have done so on a few occasions.

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

If I were to summarize, you are upset because someone reserved your site when you chose not to? How is someone on line supposed to know not to book an open site because you are there and wanted to keep it?
Walaby is right, (and thank you) I wasn't upset with someone else, I was more upset with the simple luck of the draw where someone just happened to book one site out of about 40 at the exact worst time for me to show up, set up, and discover that. In all honesty I should have verified my site was available before setting up, but sometimes the reservecalifornia site is difficult to navigate, and I just thought the odds of that happening were small.

It's a big job for me to move, and I'm also suffering back pain which doesn't help. I was praying a nice person who wouldn't consider making me move would show up, but the rangers were not as understanding.

All is well today. Nobody showed up, as I well expected. It was a stressful day, but we're good. I'm not sure if people book and just abandon it, or forget about it, or there's some glitch in the reservation system.

* This post was edited 02/21/21 09:22am by 2oldman *

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seon wrote:

This thread inspired me to book a weekend space at a CA State campground. Went on a reservation site but dummy me booked at a wrong campground [emoticon] .
LOL. It's not an easy site to navigate.

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

why didnt OP reserve it for the whole 14 days to begin with?
I already explained that.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the UPDATE! I am glad it worked out like it did, but would think most folks would be understanding, and would have changed their site.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Reservation blues - UPDATED
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.