|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Reservation blues - UPDATED

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have booked another site just in case someone came. My luck the whole park would be booked that day, lol. Yea its weird, but i do book day only sites when traveling, and really dont care where i am. But if approched by someone else to take another site, it would be a bit weird and i may not do it because i am generally distrusting of others.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Understand the frustration, sort of, but as professional RVers, as many are here, it should be evident that if you need reservations, you need reservations and there is no preference based on age, ability or otherwise.
Glad it worked out, but I also wouldn’t expect the park employee to care about or try to negotiate the “deal” you proposed.

Think about changing your habits. The ability to “wing it” based on what you think you know, is not guaranteed.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In MN State Parks all spots are reserveable 120 days out for up to 2 weeks at a time. Same day reservations are also accepted. So if I want a certain spot I reserve it 120 days before hand. The system is purdy easy to navigate.

Iowa and SD State Parks are 90 days out but have some first come first serve spots.

Some of the county parks are I frequent are all first come first serve spots with a 7 day maximum. But, some people, at my favorite park, break that rule and stay there longer. Sometimes much longer. I hate to be a rat but, if the park is crowded this summer I might start turning people in for that.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We once stayed at Peninsula State Park in Door County Wisconsin, due to it being a spur of the moment decision to take the trip, we ended up moving three times during the week that we were there. We even had to leave our TT in a parking lot next to their maintenance building for 8 hours because we wanted to get an early start to our day and didn;t want to wait for that night's site to get vacated. We are easy going and just go with the flow.

Edit-We had to move twice, used three sites during the week.

* This post was edited 02/21/21 03:56pm by BarabooBob *

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

In MN State Parks all spots are reserveable 120 days out for up to 2 weeks at a time. Same day reservations are also accepted. So if I want a certain spot I reserve it 120 days before hand. The system is purdy easy to navigate.

Iowa and SD State Parks are 90 days out but have some first come first serve spots.

Some of the county parks are I frequent are all first come first serve spots with a 7 day maximum. But, some people, at my favorite park, break that rule and stay there longer. Sometimes much longer. I hate to be a rat but, if the park is crowded this summer I might start turning people in for that.

Just FYI, there are not many first come first serve sites at SD state parks. There are a handful of campgrounds that are, but not many. At every campground I have been to, if a campground is on the reservation system, the whole campground is reserve only. County and city parks are a different story.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fun isn't over yet. The sewage systems backed up and they closed one of the 3 bathrooms. One hasn't worked in years, and another is open. They also closed the 4 hookup sites, and kicked someone out who had a long reservation. They are turning away new dry campers for now, but there's no notice on the website nor at the guard shack. Beats me why they do that.. just don't use the bathrooms. Must be some legal thing.

This always seems to happen after a weekend, where I suspect people put things in the toilet they aren't supposed to. That's a guess.. I don't know what the problem is. They threatened to evict everyone, but since I'm self-contained with a long reservation, I get to stay...for now.

This is a beautiful place but it's old and they do have their share of problems.

* This post was last edited 02/22/21 02:24pm by 2oldman *   View edit history

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

CavemanCharlie wrote:

Just FYI, there are not many first come first serve sites at SD state parks. There are a handful of campgrounds that are, but not many. At every campground I have been to, if a campground is on the reservation system, the whole campground is reserve only. County and city parks are a different story.

Your right, me bad, I should have said that just Iowa parks have some first come first, serve sites. I shouldn't have included SD in that part of the sentence.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Reservation blues - UPDATED
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.