|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Problems with 7 Pin Connector

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Taffy.C

MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi There,

Having issues with the 7 Pin trailer connection between my trailer and TV. I can't seem to get all contacts connecting at once - I I jiggle the connection slightly I can get brakes connected but I lose one or more light connections and vice-versa.

I've tried using a very find grade wet/dry sandpaper to clean the contacts but that only brought minor improvements. I'm thinking that maybe the connections are too sloppy and maybe I need to replace the trailer connector plug. The trailer is 18 years old.

I'd welcome any suggestions on this - not sure how difficult it is to replace the connector too. Also, because I have a hensley hitch that added a few inches to the trailer length, I don't have any room to lose length on the electrical cable (which I figure might happen when I replace the connector plug). If anything I need to make it longer.

Any help much appreciated,

Daniel.

2003 Explorer Limited 4X4 V8 Advancetrac 3.73 Axle
Jayco Kiwi Too 22U
Hensley Arrow
Prodigy

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes I have to use a screwdriver to bend the prongs for better contact. I use lithium grease on my wife's plug-in Prius cord, and that really helps.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some plugs on trailer cords have an undersized diameter on the plug, so they fit really loose and sloppy in a truck OEM plug.

I had the same problem. I replaced the entire cord / molded plug with a different brand, problem solved.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my 7 pin connector and no problems since.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That happened to me a long time ago.. I took a small flat blade screw diver and pulled the 'female' side prongs out in each socket and then sprayed some wd40 into the plug and that fixed it.. It was only a plug connection issue in my case, but if it's a wiring issue, then more work will need to be done to diag it..

Good luck, Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Taffy.C

MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. Pretty sure the wiring is fine so I guess I'll start with the screwdriver and WD40. Hopefully its that simple[emoticon]

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the same problem replaced the female plug on the RV, no problems since then - it was not the cord -

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
374 Campgrounds,85K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1858 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the prongs have a split in the middle of them take a small flat blade screw driver, put it in the split and spread them so that they fit tighter. This works for me on the pigtail of my tractor trailer.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can try to clean them, scrub them, adjust the prongs but after a while weather and age takes a toll on the plugs..

For $6 and a little bit of your time you can just replace the plug and be done with the issue for quit some time..

[image]

FOUND HERE

For less than $30 you can buy not only the plug but the entire harness with the plug molded in to the harness with 8ft of wire..

[image]

FOUND HERE

That one looked interesting since it has double prong contacts in the plug rather than standard single prong contacts..

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diamond c wrote:

If the prongs have a split in the middle of them take a small flat blade screw driver, put it in the split and spread them so that they fit tighter. This works for me on the pigtail of my tractor trailer.

Commercial with round holes/pins is much easier.
I have used 2 pair of needle-nose pliers to bend a slight V in the length of the blade, then flatten the ends so the plug will start back on. Less work to replace the plug, and likely only last for 1 trip.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Problems with 7 Pin Connector
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.