|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tire Replacement Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
the e-man

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning to replace the tires on our travel trailer. Just doing this as a preventative step so that we can hopefully avoid any tire-related travel issues. I plan to go with Goodyear.

At 34 feet, our camper is pretty long. Most tire shops seem to be meant for cars, not RVs. I replaced a set on our last camper which was smaller. We barely fit in the shop's parking area.

I called an RV dealer who could do the work. But, the quoted price seemed really high. Tires were priced at $250 per tire for four tires + a spare. They wanted about $400 to mount them; an estimated 30 minutes per tire times their shop fee of $165/hour.

My question is, what tips or advice do you have for finding a RV friendly tire shop?

Thanks in advance.

2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/21 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took my 5th wheel to a not so friendly shop - lot was very tight. They just had me pull up blocking all the bays and 2 guys changed the tires. No problem. By the way, I put an LT tire, Goodyear, but even the Endurance was about $150 each and not much for mount and balance, I think $45. Call a Goodyear dealer and check if they have room. You can buy Goodyear on their website and get a discount before the end of February. Just order to be delivered at the dealer of your choice. Costco is also a good place to get tires, not Goodyear or ST tires. Also, check Discount tire if they have that where you are located.

Robbies grandpa

Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put Goodyear Endurance ST tires on all my travel trailer. Great results. Did a cross country trip of 10,000 miles and experienced little wear. I then put them on all my other trailers as well. Cost was about $150 each everything.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take them off yourself. Throm them in the truck. Drive down to the tire shop.

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/21 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Instead of buying by name look at load ranges and go up a rating or two.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we purchased new tires at Les Schwab they simply did it in the parking lot with a jack. Really easy and fast

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/21 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I deal with Discount tire / Americas tire. Some you can get into, some not so much. I just remove mine at home and take them in loose.
Both of my trailers (5th and FB car hauler) have the GY endurance. No issues. But do get metal valve stems.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Advice?
Price out your size and load range of tire.
Don’t pay more than that. The price you were quoted is about double of whatever tire your trailer has.
And mount and balance should be about $20-25/tire.

Personally I’d find the right tires buy them online and take them to be mounted. Or get a shop that will get close or match online prices.
Unless $ is no object. The dealer is quoting you about double what it should cost.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The price you were quoted seems high but there seems to be some price gouging going on.
I've been taking my trailer to the local car dealership which has large bay, simply back in and stay hooked up.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never use a RV dealer to buy and mount tires on any trailer...or wheel barrow.
Most tire stores in suburbia aren't set up for a vehicle pulling a trailer nor do they have enough trailering customers to offer good advise.

When I was pulling for a living I did all my trailers tire service with mostly Goodyear truck tire stores. They know a hell of a lot more about best tires for a trailer than the type stores I mentioned above. Plus they have enough room and proper equipment for servicing trailers.

Both small towns near me (10k -20k population) have 2-3 tire stores each and do all the truck and trailer service in their area. Drive by anytime and their mounting tires on some type of trailer.

You can always buy tires of your choice off the net (tirerack.com or many others) and let a area tire dealer that has the equipment mount them for you.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tire Replacement Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.