|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tire Replacement Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second the emotion---Goodyear Wrangler LT tires purchased and installed at a Goodyear dealer. If I remember correctly, there was a special sale going on--buy 4 tires for the price of 3. Funny though, as I bought 5 (spare).

Do have the stems replaced when having them balanced.

And each spring I lube the bearings (and check the brakes) and a few years ago I also started rotating the tires (putting the spare in play).

(Formerly known as SPRey)
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1 don,t go to your rv dealer. if you can,t do the labor on remove and install? call a trailer shop .

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's an insane selling price for the tires and their extra "fees" to mount and install them.

I had Goodyear Endurance install on my cargo trailer at Discount Tire. The jacked up the rig in the parking lot and swapped the tires in the same amount of time it would take to do the job on a car.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

I second the emotion---Goodyear Wrangler LT tires

This is not sound advice unless the OP's trailer has 16" or larger wheels, which it most likely doesn't, since it's a TT.
Available ST tires far exceed the capacity of 14" and 15" "LT" tires.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If doable for you, take off two at a time and take them for mounting/balancing.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

donut dave

Burnett WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

somebody is planning on you paying for their trip to hawaii?
paid $80 a tire for the new hercules st2 load range c including installation. for an emergency in the middle of south dakota on a sunday morning, i thought it was a great deal.

poorboy

newark,de. usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/21 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you could order tires online from tire rack, have the sent to your house and, like the others have said, take 2 off and have them mounted and balanced. and then the other 2. i got my gy endurance at a truck tire place that also services cars. they had plenty of room.

2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Timmo! wrote:

I second the emotion---Goodyear Wrangler LT tires

This is not sound advice unless the OP's trailer has 16" or larger wheels, which it most likely doesn't, since it's a TT.
Available ST tires far exceed the capacity of 14" and 15" "LT" tires.

Whoooa Nelly...."not sound advice"? "far exceed capacity"? Let's not exaggerate. A tire that has 2.6% greater load capacity--isn't much of an increase in load capacity (period).

Granted I replaced GY Marathon ST205/75R15 (load range C for 1870 lbs) with GY Wrangler HT215/75R15 (load range D for 2095 lbs), providing me a tire with 255 lb greater load capacity. Now my friend, increasing a tire load capacity of 225 pounds (10.6%) is rather significant

About 4 years ago, ST Marathons were replaced with ST Endurance. So, let's compare those (even though Marathons are still being sold), GY Endurance ST205/75R15 has a load range D for 2150 lbs. I agree the Endurance tire has a greater load capacity of a mere 55 lbs than HT Wrangler, but that is only a 2.6% greater load capacity. Not very much and certainly does NOT "far exceed capacity".

The Endurance has a shallow tire tread depth of 8/32" (0.25"), while the Wrangler has a deeper tire tread of 14/32 (0.4375"), has a wider width and larger diameter, and higher speed rating.

At the time of my tire purchase, the HT Wranglers were only $5 more, and well worth the extra rubber.

Gotta look at the facts.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not exaggerating Timmy!

First, you don’t know if the OP has 14s or 15s. 14s don’t have squat in LT tires. Not even an option really. And since you didn’t specify your were speaking exclusively about 15s then yes it was horrible advice.
15s, about the best you can do is the 2150 lb cap in a LT tire.
Your Endurance’s are a smaller tire with a little more capacity. 55lbs per your post.
But you can get 225 size (1/2” larger diameter) up to 2800+ pound capacity.
So yes you can get a truck tire that is decent I suppose in a 15” size but you can get a ST tire that has almost 700lbs more capacity per tire.
And if the OP has 15s on a trailer with 5200lb axles the truck tires can’t do the job up to the max weight that could be on the trailer.

Next time check all your facts.

By the way speed rating is a non issue. Unless you’re comparing to the cheapest trailer tires on the market. And tread depth/tread wear isn’t either, unless you happen to be the one person out of most who actually puts, say 30-40k miles on your trailer tires before they age out.
AND deeper tread depth is NOT preferable unless off road or in snow for a trailer. Creates more (insignificant amount likely, but it’s there) instability and more tire scrub in tight turns.

Btw, the LT tire bandwagon for small trailer tires lost its wheels a decade or 2 ago, so it might be time to get off the ride!

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't go to the RV dealer. use a tire store. And I recommend Carlisle Radial Trail HD`s. one of the best tires out there. make sure to get it in a load range E.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tire Replacement Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.