RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Traveling without Jacks - contingency plan?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Traveling without Jacks - contingency plan?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand about the weight thing and being in the way. On Dad's Beeline they used to remove from the vertical up and down position to a horizontal position and hang on a hook on the side underneath the wings. Between me and my wife it took maybe 15 minutes with a 9/16 wrench and socket and 3/8" nuts and bolts. There were three of them. I would at least throw them behind a seat or something out of the way cause of murphy's law and take some weight off elsewhere. JMHO Good question though! Joe

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/21 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only decent contingency plan is to have them stored in a location where a friend could grab them in a pinch and ship them to you. With my Lance, if I were to travel without them, I could in a pinch get a set from lots of places shipped in 2-4 days but would run about $800 to do so.

I don't really see the saving of 150 pounds worth the possible inconvenience. Need a water pump changed in the middle of nowhere small gas station, may only be able to get it done if you take the camper off. Even a number of car dealerships won't be able to get to it without insisting you take the camper off. What may have been a day or two inconvenience becomes a week plus simply because you can't unload the camper. What about if the truck gets in a wreck where you have to buy another vehicle to get home? At least with the jacks, I can always unload the camper, usually in the mechanics parking lot, through some pallets under it for support/stability, and stay in it for a few days while the vehicle is being repaired.

As a kid we travel in a '69 Franklin which had the jacks twist up but stick outside the camper. We traveled all over the place, my father even took it out west a couple of times. Having the jacks on was never an issue despite going through some nasty place.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

ADA6969

SPARKS,NV

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had mine off for 10 years and carried them on my trailers underside. Good for going threw ditches and sharp turns. When sold that camper the jacks were trashed but still worked. Next time I would cover them

2012 RAM 3500DRW MAX TOW 4WD AUTO STD CAB ST DIESEL STABLE LOADS AIR BAGS AND RS9000XLS, ROADMASTER 1 3/8" REAR SWAY BAR 2021 AF 1150 DRY BATH TOWING 2017 JEEP RUBICON JKU BUILT. OR 2020 JEEP RUBICON JL BUILT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Traveling without Jacks - contingency plan?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.