RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Wonder if truck makers will start making 10001 # 1/2 tons.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Wonder if truck makers will start making 10001 # 1/2 tons.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 11:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Most of you guys are just amazing!!!!!! You sit there in your smugness, declaring that there will be no electric vehicles, that battery technology will never be adequate, that the grid does not have the capacity,that this won't work and that won't work
1964 your high school graduation. They would yank your diploma and lock you up if you started goingon about a device the same size as a pack of cigarettes,( which you are familiar with because everyone smoked)that could make phone calls, do calculations,display maps and directions, receive broadcasts, and put the knowledge of the world at your fingertips. Tell them about that oven your mom has that can heat a can of soup in 3 minutes.
Tell your classmates about adaptive cruise control, collision avoidance,lane assistance.
Tearfully shout your goodbyes as they load you into the nut wagon.
Some of you guys really need to think past the end of your nose!

You can easily make the opposite argument - there were those, in the 60's, that thought by 2000 we'd colonize the moon, and by now, we should have mega-cities all over Mars. Heck, even the stubborn old mules that refuse to leave the big blue marble would be zipping around in flying cars going Mach7 from LA to NY.

Could it be, gasp, they forgot to look at the total equation: the chemical energy it takes to defy gravity and enter Martian orbit to haul a billion tons of construction equipment? The ultimate limit of near-term propulsion technology? The burden of air traffic controlling 200-million flying cars, even with exponential computing power?

Or, the near-term battery construction technology to replace every internal combustion engine, from John Deeres to Mercury marines...

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 02:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Plus electric vehicles are a fraction of the cost to operate.

Time will tell.

Are they? How about after EV use and ownership surpasses about 50% or so, where do you believe electricity prices will go? Down? Supply and demand still applies. Who will pay for the infrastructure required? The clowns who run the show can not even keep up with the maintenance of current infrastructure. How about highway taxes currently paid for the most part by ICE vehicles through fuel taxes? Where will those funds come from? There is no free lunch. Add to it most EVs for the masses will not have the battery life nor replacability of say a Tesla in any way shape or form, but will basically be throw away cars. May be a good time to open a scrapyard. Fraction of the cost my ass. Time will tell indeed.

* This post was edited 02/26/21 02:31am by GDS-3950BH *

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/21 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many details that remain to be worked out---but, the writing certainly appears on the wall: day-to-day commuters looking to purchase a new vehicle in 15 years or so will probably have their choices limited solely to EV's.

With that being said, got to wonder how manufacturers (and lawmakers) will address the production of *new*, recreational vehicles and TV's (specifically those with a GVWR >10k) in 15 years?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/21 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

KD4UPL wrote:

It's amazing how someone can think their way of life needs to imposed on everyone else even though they don't understand other people's way of life.

Yes, the whole world must comply with our way of life, no matter if our grandkids have no clean air or water

The 1970’s called. They want their clean air and water argument back.
It was miserable here in SoCal in the '70s and still lots of room for improvement.
Pick your poison.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

There are many details that remain to be worked out---but, the writing certainly appears on the wall: day-to-day commuters looking to purchase a new vehicle in 15 years or so will probably have their choices limited solely to EV's.

With that being said, got to wonder how manufacturers (and lawmakers) will address the production of *new*, recreational vehicles and TV's (specifically those with a GVWR >10k) in 15 years?

EV’s are changing so fast right now. I very much doubt there will be a market for gasser cars or light duty trucks in 2035. Who’s going to want to buy a clunky, gutless, noisy, stinky, high maintenance, inconvenient, expensive to fuel gasser that you have to fuel at a gas station.

Not everybody has the same driving needs, but we are pretty average and for our needs there isn’t anything a gasser can do that our EV can’t do better. What’s it going to be like after 15 more years of development.

I’m sure there will still be a market for some applications of gas and diesel vehicles, but it’s going to be a different landscape. Any kid growing up in an EV household will never, not ever choose a gasser over electric. There would have to be a ton of improvements in gas vehicles before somebody went backwards, and I don’t see companies like ford or GM throwing lots of money at it when the writing is on the wall.

All JMHO.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/21 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They have to make these EV make noise. People don't pay attention now! Everyone walking down the street has their head down staring at their cell phone or their ear buds in. In 15 years, who knows what the high tech thing will be occupying everyone's attention. It's a recipe for disaster for pedestrians and bicyclists to have vehicles that are basically silent.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

They have to make these EV make noise. People don't pay attention now! Everyone walking down the street has their head down staring at their cell phone or their ear buds in. In 15 years, who knows what the high tech thing will be occupying everyone's attention. It's a recipe for disaster for pedestrians and bicyclists to have vehicles that are basically silent.

All EV’s sold today have noisemakers in both forward and reverse. (Earlier models didn’t). That came out in 2019 for implementation in 2020. Different manufacturers have different sounds. Our is kind of a shhhhhhhhhh sound. Going backwards it’s kind of an electronic whirrr. The sound disappears over 30 kmh. Here’s the cut and paste.

“ It requires hybrids and electric vehicles travelling at less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) to emit warning sounds that pedestrians must be able to hear over background noises. The regulation requires full compliance in September 2020, but 50% of "quiet" vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019.”

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

Shouldnt be too dificult [emoticon]

https://youtu.be/4NgSZ8sjDgU

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

otrfun wrote:

EV’s are changing so fast right now. I very much doubt there will be a market for gasser cars or light duty trucks in 2035. Who’s going to want to buy a clunky, gutless, noisy, stinky, high maintenance, inconvenient, expensive to fuel gasser that you have to fuel at a gas station.

Not everybody has the same driving needs, but we are pretty average and for our needs there isn’t anything a gasser can do that our EV can’t do better. What’s it going to be like after 15 more years of development.

I’m sure there will still be a market for some applications of gas and diesel vehicles, but it’s going to be a different landscape. Any kid growing up in an EV household will never, not ever choose a gasser over electric. There would have to be a ton of improvements in gas vehicles before somebody went backwards, and I don’t see companies like ford or GM throwing lots of money at it when the writing is on the wall.

All JMHO.

I agree 100% with electric in the future. Who today wants a flip phone or a tube TV.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

All JMHO.

Ahhh, such bold statements, and such conviction.

EV nut swingers are no different than the BLM rioters. Gotta have a cause, just for the sake of having a cause.

And as most of these threads go, I'll qualify that I'm not anti EV. I'm all about whatever is most economical and convenient for ME. If that's a 2 ton high powered mobility scooter that can do 120mph down the freeway and it's overall cost is less than firing up the ole dinosaur burner, I'm down. Totally. Although I'll still dust off and fire up the ole Hemi regularly, because, well, not everyone like s the same thing...

Just hasn't happened yet.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Wonder if truck makers will start making 10001 # 1/2 tons.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.