RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Wonder if truck makers will start making 10001 # 1/2 tons.

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Wonder if truck makers will start making 10001 # 1/2 tons.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/21 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

It's amazing how someone can think their way of life needs to imposed on everyone else even though they don't understand other people's way of life.

Welcome to urban liberalism.

midnightsadie

ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 01/07/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and its name will be chibi

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Online
Posted: 02/23/21 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

It's amazing how someone can think their way of life needs to imposed on everyone else even though they don't understand other people's way of life.


Yes, the whole world must comply with our way of life, no matter if our grandkids have no clean air or water

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/21 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

KD4UPL wrote:

It's amazing how someone can think their way of life needs to imposed on everyone else even though they don't understand other people's way of life.


Yes, the whole world must comply with our way of life, no matter if our grandkids have no clean air or water

The 1970’s called. They want their clean air and water argument back.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 02/28/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/23/21 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How long does it take to recharge an electric car with one of the fast chargers? If traveling across the Country, is recharging as fast as filling a fuel tank or is there significant down time to recharge? I also wonder what the cost of electricity will be when the States stop getting all the tax dollars they are now collecting from a gallon of gas or diesel. Will taxes imposed on electricity to make up that difference in revenue make our home electricity bill become so high that many won't be able to afford it? Many low income families get their electricity shut off frequently now. I can't imagine what it will be like for them in 2035. What will the cost of gas, diesel, propane and home heating oil be because of less demand? What about the Amish community? They don't use electricity and they won't be able to afford petroleum products. I'm not against making our planet a safer and healthier place but are proponents of ending fossil fuel use thinking everything through? Have we done everything we can to reduce emissions in vehicles so gas and diesel can still be used?


2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.


Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/21 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

How long does it take to recharge an electric car with one of the fast chargers? If traveling across the Country, is recharging as fast as filling a fuel tank or is there significant down time to recharge? I also wonder what the cost of electricity will be when the States stop getting all the tax dollars they are now collecting from a gallon of gas or diesel. Will taxes imposed on electricity to make up that difference in revenue make our home electricity bill become so high that many won't be able to afford it? Many low income families get their electricity shut off frequently now. I can't imagine what it will be like for them in 2035. What will the cost of gas, diesel, propane and home heating oil be because of less demand? What about the Amish community? They don't use electricity and they won't be able to afford petroleum products. I'm not against making our planet a safer and healthier place but are proponents of ending fossil fuel use thinking everything through? Have we done everything we can to reduce emissions in vehicles so gas and diesel can still be used?


Can’t answer most of those questions. But the first one I’ll take a shot at from from personal experience point of view. EV’s take longer to charge than filling a tank. At least with present technology. Different makes and models take different lengths of time. There is no simple answer. Generally speaking an 800 kilometers travel day takes us no longer or shorter than it did when we travelled the same trip with our Jeep Grand Cherokee. But we travel a little different. We still take two 10 or 15 minute pee/coffee breaks and a 20 minute lunch break. The only difference is we charge during those times. I can’t testify to longer days as we try to avoid anywhere over about 800 or so kilometers. This is in a Tesla model 3 AWD. We haven’t travelled long distances in other EV’s. so don’t know what that’s like.

Hope that helps.

free radical

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 02/07/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/21 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Tyler0215 wrote:

Another example of putting the cart before the horse. Are there plans underway to charge all the new EV's?
Last week in Texas proved how vulnarable the power grid is.


X2, and not thinking with the whole brain.
Currently electric "Appears" to be the big savior, but it is the hidden, not thought out consequences that is the issue.
Highways, pay per mile, but how to track?
The Grid, will it be ready.
Solar, fantastic in the southern states, but the further north, the less efficient.
Then what about ice storms? Texas, and parts of Oregon and Washington, were hit with ice storms in the last several weeks.
Then there is the producing and disposal of the batteries to operate.

Pay per mile can be tracked with each cars odometer,no?
All batteries can be recycled just as we do now.
Northern parts such as Alberta and Manitoba get enough sunshine even in winter to make solar feasible.
West coast BC not so much
If we can put men in space I would think we can make the grid work too,
btw isnt Texas grid separated from other states?

free radical

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 02/07/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/21 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

How long does it take to recharge an electric car with one of the fast chargers? If traveling across the Country, is recharging as fast as filling a fuel tank or is there significant down time to recharge? I also wonder what the cost of electricity will be when the States stop getting all the tax dollars they are now collecting from a gallon of gas or diesel. Will taxes imposed on electricity to make up that difference in revenue make our home electricity bill become so high that many won't be able to afford it? Many low income families get their electricity shut off frequently now. I can't imagine what it will be like for them in 2035. What will the cost of gas, diesel, propane and home heating oil be because of less demand? What about the Amish community? They don't use electricity and they won't be able to afford petroleum products. I'm not against making our planet a safer and healthier place but are proponents of ending fossil fuel use thinking everything through? Have we done everything we can to reduce emissions in vehicles so gas and diesel can still be used?

Instead of pure ev this would be my choice

100 mpg hybrid electric truck

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

Senior Member

Joined: 11/12/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/21 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

I assume these laws are written by young urbanites who never venture far from pavement. It's amazing how someone can think their way of life needs to imposed on everyone else even though they don't understand other people's way of life.
I know plenty of people who drive their trucks to their off grid hunting camp, ride around in the mountains all week, etc. Where exactly are they going to recharge? Logging companies, farmers, ranchers, excavators, etc. all regularly operate motor vehicles, particularly 1500 trucks, in very remote areas with no electrical infrastructure for long periods of time.
This will likely drive 1500 truck buyers to 2500 and larger trucks making them even more expensive for us working stiffs who need them to make a living, not just cruise around town looking cool.


What do you mean no charging station- All those outlying vehicles will have a built in gas generator to charge batteries, and a build in gas tank to run it. No problem [emoticon] [emoticon] Just find a gas station to fill your generator tank so you can charge your EV and drive it.

Fun aside, as we work towards that technology, we also need to understand it's not an over night shift. And we must first perfect the charging ability and more importantly, the root source of that energy. Otherwise, we're just spinning our wheels, literally.


Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

rhagfo

Portland, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/06/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/23/21 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Tyler0215 wrote:

Another example of putting the cart before the horse. Are there plans underway to charge all the new EV's?
Last week in Texas proved how vulnarable the power grid is.


X2, and not thinking with the whole brain.
Currently electric "Appears" to be the big savior, but it is the hidden, not thought out consequences that is the issue.
Highways, pay per mile, but how to track?
The Grid, will it be ready.
Solar, fantastic in the southern states, but the further north, the less efficient.
Then what about ice storms? Texas, and parts of Oregon and Washington, were hit with ice storms in the last several weeks.
Then there is the producing and disposal of the batteries to operate.

Pay per mile can be tracked with each cars odometer,no?
All batteries can be recycled just as we do now.
Northern parts such as Alberta and Manitoba get enough sunshine even in winter to make solar feasible.
West coast BC not so much
If we can put men in space I would think we can make the grid work too,
btw isnt Texas grid separated from other states?


Well odometers can be altered, they would need to be sealed in some manner.
Well recycling of lithium is just getting started.
Solar there is a difference between feasible and efficient.
Well we were without power here in western Oregon for nine days, others are still without power, and still many lines down.


Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Wonder if truck makers will start making 10001 # 1/2 tons.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.