RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Wonder if truck makers will start making 10001 # 1/2 tons.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Wonder if truck makers will start making 10001 # 1/2 tons.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We need to stay focused on solving the problem without getting hung up on how it is done. I am probably going to buy a Tesla soon but if we can solve the CO2 problem some other way that is great, options are always good.

Porsche claim to have one of these other ways and it shouldn't be ignored.

Porsche green fuel

I have heard other big names like Exxon, GM and CAT claim to have a green fuel but fail to bring it to market so I am a little cautious but here's hoping it is for real this time.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

KD4UPL wrote:

It's amazing how someone can think their way of life needs to imposed on everyone else even though they don't understand other people's way of life.

Yes, the whole world must comply with our way of life, no matter if our grandkids have no clean air or water

Do you have any idea what it takes to make a battery? Lithium, Cobalt, Nickel, and Magnesium are all MINED; largely in third world countries. The mines for these rare metals are huge; they burn vast amounts of DIESEL fuel to power the mining machines and trucks. There is lots of ground water contamination. There is lots of child labor being used. Further, unlike lead acid batteries, lithium batteries are not very recyclable; they are mostly just a throw-away battery. Current recycling "technology" for lithium batteries includes basically burning them to smelt the precious metals back out. Further, all these electric cars being recharged from a grid that is still 63% fueled by fossil fuels.
Anyone who thinks electric cars are "saving the planet" or keeping the air and water clean isn't looking at the whole picture.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

I am very flattered that you think that I am a youngster. If that fits me then you must be geriatric.

That statement probably should not of been directed to you. Many people act like they wake up in a new world every morning. Seems like they are not aware there was a yesterday, let alone what happened then influences what will happen today, or tomorrow. And often, when I show some history, what I remember, (I freely admit much of my memory went up in smoke in the '60s-'70s-part of '80s) the post disappears

Quote:

OPEC is the primary organization that I referred to as the beneficiary of the poor decisions that were made in the 1970s. That same President that put up the solar panels on the White House as a symbolic move made a lot of other poor decisions that led to both a lot global warming and his removal after one term, even though the two weren't yet connected.

Avoiding discussion of the removal.
I would like to know what policies put in place in the late '70s helped OPIC. And because very few policies lasted thru the next administration, how there could be long term affects.

JAC1982 wrote:

I'm a big ol' liberal and even I can recognize that electric vehicles, as things stand now, are not practical for everyone. The initial cost is one thing. But the infrastructure to support them is another.

I don't think the country or the cars are ready for all electric cars. OTOH, much of my work has involved hauling into new housing developments. Over the last 20 years, I can't think of a single development where there where single car garage, and 3 car is not uncommon. And most of the car trips could be made in E cars.

Quote:

I think of families who live in large apartment complexes or buildings. Where would they all charge their vehicles? Who is going to pay for the charging units to be installed in these places? Who will be maintaining them? Will the apartments charge the tenants to use them? What about at large employers like warehouses or factories, is the employer going to pay to install 100 charging stations for employees to use?

As for the cost, even for non-electric cars, it's difficult to find a brand new car that is sub-20k anymore. Especially for a family with more than 2 kids. And the long term reliability of the current electric vehicles is still too much of an unknown to make the used market super viable, whereas a lower income family can probably find a mostly-reliable used gas vehicle.
Now, some of this will probably be figured out in 10 years... but there's still a long way to go to make them viable for the vast majority of the population.

I bet a lot of companies have learned in the last year that a lot of office costs can be transferred to the employee, and many of the employees have learned the office costs are less than the transportation costs they have been paying.
10 years? Ask any 3rd grader; Bet all of them can understand, no matter how big a sack of cookies is, if you take cookies out of that sack every day sooner or later, that sack will be MT. And by the same token, no matter how big your holding tank is, you keep pooping in it, it will get full. About the time I was in grade school, there was discussion about the world has limits. For about 50 years much of the world has been discussing what the limits are, but for much of what US calls leadership, the discussion is still "Are there limits?"

KD4UPL wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

KD4UPL wrote:

It's amazing how someone can think their way of life needs to imposed on everyone else even though they don't understand other people's way of life.

Yes, the whole world must comply with our way of life, no matter if our grandkids have no clean air or water

Do you have any idea what it takes to make a battery? Lithium, Cobalt, Nickel, and Magnesium are all MINED; largely in third world countries. The mines for these rare metals are huge; they burn vast amounts of DIESEL fuel to power the mining machines and trucks. There is lots of ground water contamination. There is lots of child labor being used. Further, unlike lead acid batteries, lithium batteries are not very recyclable; they are mostly just a throw-away battery. Current recycling "technology" for lithium batteries includes basically burning them to smelt the precious metals back out. Further, all these electric cars being recharged from a grid that is still 63% fueled by fossil fuels.
Anyone who thinks electric cars are "saving the planet" or keeping the air and water clean isn't looking at the whole picture.

Batteries is widening the discussion a little. But the irony I see when an American is whining about others pushing their ideas on us.
Do you understand most people in the world don't travel as far in their life as we do in a year? Most food in the world is consumed within a few miles of where it is produced?
The fact is the whole world shares in the cost of our lifestyle.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/21 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of you guys are just amazing!!!!!! You sit there in your smugness, declaring that there will be no electric vehicles, that battery technology will never be adequate, that the grid does not have the capacity,that this won't work and that won't work
1964 your high school graduation. They would yank your diploma and lock you up if you started goingon about a device the same size as a pack of cigarettes,( which you are familiar with because everyone smoked)that could make phone calls, do calculations,display maps and directions, receive broadcasts, and put the knowledge of the world at your fingertips. Tell them about that oven your mom has that can heat a can of soup in 3 minutes.
Tell your classmates about adaptive cruise control, collision avoidance,lane assistance.
Tearfully shout your goodbyes as they load you into the nut wagon.
Some of you guys really need to think past the end of your nose!

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/21 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And another thing, If you all don't start encouraging and support alternate sources,you are doing the nation an amazing disservice. I can guarantee that if we as a nation do not get behind new power,with support and yes, even subsidies, China is going to eat our lunch. They are already ahead on the technology.
So go ahead and stick your head in the sand and your dupa in the air, because our grandchildren will be driving Chinese cars or at least ones that China will be pulling royalty payment from.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/21 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Do you understand most people in the world don't travel as far in their life as we do in a year? Most food in the world is consumed within a few miles of where it is produced?

I do understand that there are those that want that wonderful lifestyle for the U.S., will you be satisfied when we accomplish this goal?

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

I do understand that there are those that want that wonderful lifestyle for the U.S., will you be satisfied when we accomplish this goal?

We believe our lifestyle should be universal. But every place in the educated world understands the atmosphere can not absorb the combustion of enough fossil fuel for the US to continue with our lifestyle, let alone spread it to more of the world population.
Just now, the PO has said they will switch to EVs where practical. If this had happened 30 years ago, EVs would be abundant and reasonably priced. Because we can't understand the bag of cookies will run out, or the black tank will get full, we are leaving our grandkids a mess with little time to clean it up.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We should probably bring the Lorax into this discussion...

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

And another thing, If you all don't start encouraging and support alternate sources,you are doing the nation an amazing disservice. I can guarantee that if we as a nation do not get behind new power,with support and yes, even subsidies, China is going to eat our lunch. They are already ahead on the technology.
So go ahead and stick your head in the sand and your dupa in the air, because our grandchildren will be driving Chinese cars or at least ones that China will be pulling royalty payment from.

so true

and their secret is

china poverty eradication

* This post was edited 02/25/21 08:46pm by free radical *

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

THAT is what I'm concerned about; a lot more so than grid capacity.

So far I've never seen a conclusive study on global CO2 and other pollutants if EVERY car is converted to EV.

We need to study the cradle to grave effect of electrification, not just the immediate city streets that get cleaner air.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Wonder if truck makers will start making 10001 # 1/2 tons.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.