RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: New National Park video rules

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > New National Park video rules

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/23/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The NPS has issued an interim set of rules for photography/videography in their lands:
RVMiles

They lost a lawsuit about this and have thrown in the towel, it sounds like normal filming will require no permit unless the activity disrupts park activities. This episode of RVMiles is one of the good ones with Jason (?) by himself getting to the point quickly. Not the Mutt and Jeffette irritating scripted episodes.


Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper


Lwiddis

Death Valley NP

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/23/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An unfortunate court decision. Hopefully Congress will review and act. Watch the officious film crew guards deny the public access or movement until their “shot” is done. Disruption by walking through is a possible tool for those filming and denying the public’s access.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/23/21 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1207/02-22-21-interim-guidance-for-filming-in-parks.htm

The actual rules not some youtube guys opinion of them.

Most likely these are interim because the lawyers are rewriting them to be more agnostic but they are likely to come back... and should.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/23/21 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

An unfortunate court decision. Hopefully Congress will review and act. Watch the officious film crew guards deny the public access or movement until their “shot” is done. Disruption by walking through is a possible tool for those filming and denying the public’s access.


I've been in NPS parks of one sort or another hundreds of times and have never run into anything like what you describe. Their regs allow them to restrict or deny that sort of activity anyway.

Isn't it a quirk of English when using a non film camera is called filming, I'd think someone would have coinded a new word. Of course there is 'videography' but that's too formal and clumsy.

4x4van

California

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/21 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

An unfortunate court decision. Hopefully Congress will review and act. Watch the officious film crew guards deny the public access or movement until their “shot” is done. Disruption by walking through is a possible tool for those filming and denying the public’s access.


I've been in NPS parks of one sort or another hundreds of times and have never run into anything like what you describe. Their regs allow them to restrict or deny that sort of activity anyway.

Isn't it a quirk of English when using a non film camera is called filming, I'd think someone would have coinded a new word. Of course there is 'videography' but that's too formal and clumsy.
Agreed. This is a non-issue. It only applies to "low-impact" filming, and no one has the right to deny access the way that Lwiddis claims.


We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/23/21 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

no one has the right to deny access the way that Lwiddis claims.


Enforced by legal authority and the park rangers...you are correct.

Being officious and domineering of the area they want such that most people will bow to their will, they sure will.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > New National Park video rules
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.