RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: What constitutes a "new" tire?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

 > What constitutes a "new" tire?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GDS-3950BH

DC

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/25/21 02:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fijidad wrote:

I was dealing with a local supplier of Toyo tires and had an appointment set...until I told him I wanted the tires to be within 1 month of manufacture. That did not go over well.



Really?

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

Senior Member

Joined: 02/21/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/25/21 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tires I purchased in November were made in Germany ( Michelins) and 3 months old when I got them... that was OK by me.


Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

Senior Member

Joined: 05/13/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/25/21 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fijidad wrote:

I was dealing with a local supplier of Toyo tires and had an appointment set...until I told him I wanted the tires to be within 1 month of manufacture. That did not go over well


Good Luck with that . . . 6 Months no problem.


Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Yaesu FTDX 10D, Mercury III Amp, Icom 7100,Flex 6400M
Steve and Joy
2010 Allegro Bus 43 QBP . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/25/21 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

How many people have bought a new car that was sitting on the lot for 9 months to a year?
Tires 6 months old sitting in a warehouse will b just fine!


Assuming the OP is buying trailer tires (no idea if toyo makes any), it's relevant....but the OP going way beyond the pale with a 1 month requirement.

For cars/trucks, most tires wear out when the tread is gone long before they age out. It would be unusual to get to 5yrs before wearing out a pair.

Trailer tires on the other hand often have good tread at 6-8yrs old but the material has aged out to the point they are no longer reliable.

But again, expecting 1 month is silly and unrealistic.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/25/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a commonly held belief within the tire industry that any tire within 6 years of the manufacture date can be sold as "NEW". I say "belief" because I know of no data that supports (or denies) this.

However, the tire manufacturer I worked for did test 3 year old tires and could find no performance difference to freshly made tires.

So not only is a month a deal breaker from the tire dealer's perspective, I doubt that the tire dealer could actually get a tire that fast through normal channels.


********************************************************************

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/25/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

It is a commonly held belief within the tire industry that any tire within 6 years of the manufacture date can be sold as "NEW". I say "belief" because I know of no data that supports (or denies) this.


6 yrs or 6 months.

I seriously doubt you could get a manufacture to go on record saying a 6yr old tire is like new.

Also, are you talking about legally or realistically? Legally, new products that have not been sold before are considered "new". Find a dealer with a 1985 Ford Ranger that's been sitting at the back of the lot never sold, the dealer can legitimately sell it as new but realistically, they aren't going to lie and say it's a 2021 model.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/25/21 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

CapriRacer wrote:

It is a commonly held belief within the tire industry that any tire within 6 years of the manufacture date can be sold as "NEW". I say "belief" because I know of no data that supports (or denies) this.


6 yrs or 6 months.

I seriously doubt you could get a manufacture to go on record saying a 6yr old tire is like new.

Also, are you talking about legally or realistically? Legally, new products that have not been sold before are considered "new". Find a dealer with a 1985 Ford Ranger that's been sitting at the back of the lot never sold, the dealer can legitimately sell it as new but realistically, they aren't going to lie and say it's a 2021 model.


I recently had to buy replacement tires ahead of schedule because of damage. I ordered them on line my long time supplier has changed hands and is now "Trucks Only". Of the two tires shipped, one was 8 months old and the other 13 months old. They were much less expensive than I last paid, but I am going to be looking for a new supplier when the oldest pair comes up for replacement.

Matt


Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.


ksg5000

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/30/2008

View Profile



Posted: 02/25/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I purchased my Toyo's I told the dealer that they should not be older than 3 months. Dealer told me I would have to wait a week or so - NBD.


Kevin

fijidad

Escondido, CA

New Member

Joined: 02/09/2021

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/25/21 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

I would settle for tires up to 6 months old as new. Requiring one month, especially on a tire not made in the US is probably impossible. Only RVers are obsessed with the age of tires, especially if you replace at 6-7 years.


Thanks Ivylog. This is the first time I'll be replacing tires on a MH, so appreciate the well-reasoned response.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/25/21 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

I recently had to buy replacement tires ahead of schedule because of damage. I ordered them on line my long time supplier has changed hands and is now "Trucks Only". Of the two tires shipped, one was 8 months old and the other 13 months old. They were much less expensive than I last paid, but I am going to be looking for a new supplier when the oldest pair comes up for replacement.

Matt


13 months is getting a little old but with a sufficient discount, I would probably take them and just plan to replace them a year sooner.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

 > What constitutes a "new" tire?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.