RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Will it be difficult to find a reliable 5er on a 20K budget

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Will it be difficult to find a reliable 5er on a 20K budget

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
GBEngineer

Murrieta CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I owned a 5er several years ago but sold it due to a move. I am interested in getting another one. I still have my tow vehicle, 2004 Silverado 3500 diesel, that I plan to use. I can afford to spend around 20K. I would like something in the 27-32 foot range. I don't need something really nice but want something as reliable as I can get.

I would appreciate any advice on what brands or models have a good reputation for being reliable in my price range. I would also be like to hear from others that have searched for a purchased a used 5er, how was your experience and any advice you can offer.

Thanks for any help.

2004.5 Siverado 3500 DRW Duramax LLY
2001 Cougar 276 EFS (Sold, trying to figure out what to replace it with)

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of older 5ers are still in great condition. Just a matter of finding one and carefully inspecting it. I have a 2007 34’ Montana that is lightly used for its age and in very good condition. Someone will get a very good trailer a few thousand below $20k when I get ready to sell. Which may be in the near future since our travel has been severely curtailed by other factors.

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/21 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Lots of older 5ers are still in great condition. Just a matter of finding one and carefully inspecting it.

I agree. Remember that water leaks are the death of 5ers. However, a lot of people purchased RV to camp the summer of 2020 due to the Covid so the 2020 market for RVs was very HOT in 2020. In a few years when non-RV travel is back to normal one may not be able to give away a used RV as the 2020 RVers get rid of no longer needed RVs

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heck yeah, I think the $5 gas that is coming will change the market.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of older high end 5ers to choose from. Alpenlite, Carriage, Nu Wa, Mobile Suite for starters.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

X2!

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

Heard a 1 line headline on Fox Biz Channel yesterday that oil "could " reach $100.00/barrel.

* This post was edited 02/27/21 07:04am by an administrator/moderator *

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As noted, look at the older higher end 5ers. The new ones are junk compared to the older ones.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

work2much

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

Actually as a full timer I would be ok with that trade-off. Trying to book popular parks now exactly 6 months in advance and having to take a shot at exactly 8am and having everything fill immediately as a bunch of us are competing for those few available spots and not getting them is getting old.

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GBEngineer wrote:

I owned a 5er several years ago but sold it due to a move. I am interested in getting another one. I still have my tow vehicle, 2004 Silverado 3500 diesel, that I plan to use. I can afford to spend around 20K. I would like something in the 27-32 foot range. I don't need something really nice but want something as reliable as I can get.

I would appreciate any advice on what brands or models have a good reputation for being reliable in my price range. I would also be like to hear from others that have searched for a purchased a used 5er, how was your experience and any advice you can offer.

Thanks for any help.

Which ever 5th wheel you are looking at buying take it to a Good RV shop to have it completely checked out to make sure you know all the systems are working and if any repairs are needed. $200 to $300 could be well worth it. It will also give some peace of mind.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Will it be difficult to find a reliable 5er on a 20K budget
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.