RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

Chevy exits ICE engines

Old news. Already posted in this closed thread: You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

patperry2766 wrote:

Chevy exits ICE engines

Old news. Already posted in this closed thread: You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle
That was the point of my deja vu post.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/21 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

I have couple of questions for everybody whining and crying about how the US will never accept E vehicles, solar/wind power, never work for us, we can't change, or if we do change not that fast yada, yada yada.
First, do you remember before it was discovered Freon was destroying the atmosphere? The world is ending! No R12! How can we drive with no AC?! But when we could not get R12, we fixed the AC instead of adding a can. I bet a higher % of cars on the road now have working AC.
Now the major deal; Man or countries, when faced with change, there are 2 choices. Lead or follow but get out of the way. If the rest of the world makes the change what happens to US? Will the rest decide the US has nothing to export but pollution and hate, and refuse to trade with us?

I hear ya. I think there will be challenges ahead for the US on this. I'm not an American but I read constantly on the forums here and various news sources that the US pretty much has a third world grid and very little chance of ever improving it because of some kind of geo-political struggle. I would think though at some point many that are able to will just toss in the towel on connecting to the grid and make their own power. That in itself would probably kind of solve the problem as the utilities can stay with the third world grid approach and many will just become self sufficient with solar and wind. It would probably work.

No idea really. Just conjecture.

About the grid issues; IMHO, they could be reduced if people could agree that there are things that are common good, and should be invested in.
I think everybody that visits this sight has some interest in traveling on the highways. I also understand the only reason the word "history" is not auto replaced by ****** is it has too many letters. But if you hunt for it there is a great travel story from over 100 years ago, by a fairly young man that had traveled in Europe under war conditions, then traveled with a group of men and vehicles across the United States. The story goes the problems he encountered on that trip caused him, when he became president, to work to unite the country to build a "Interstate highway system for commerce and defense" which we all use for our RVs.
Some call the generation before Boomers The greatest generation because of the world challenges they united to meet for common good. Our generation? If it ain't good for me it must be bad.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/21 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

BCSnob wrote:

We got 3 Christmas cards 1.5 months after the postmark date; I doubt EV postal vehicles will make delivery’s slower. Pony Express would have been faster.

Well there's no De Joy in that. [emoticon]
I think the new Admin will make the necessary changes to bring the USPS back to normal.

LMAO... You mean Uncle Joe

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Shal36

Winter Springs, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like GM is doing it’s best to go bankrupt again. Mary is chalked full of great ideas!

There’s probably a better way to power vehicles. Is it electric? Don’t know. I know this, you could electrify every vehicle on the planet and it would have a relatively small impact on pollution. Electricity production and manufacturing in China and India are major sources of pollution. If the goal of electrification of vehicles is to curb pollution, then it’s a relatively poor strategy.

Electric powered vehicles are rock stars...instant full torque, no need waiting until 3,500 rpm for power. Good stuff...but yeah, I would need to spend many times more to get a truck with a battery big enough to tow my 5’er 300 miles before charging...and that truck doesn’t exist yet. Hmmm...my $30k gasser HD or $100k+ for an electric truck.

Also, no one talks about the pollution involved with mining the materials to make batteries or the proper disposal of those batteries. I suppose technology will be developed to handle that stuff better in the future.

Solar is great here in Florida...but the payback for me is well over ten years, and given a life of maybe 20 years....hmmm. And I’ll sell my house before then. What would be cool would be a system that allows private people to share solar power, making up shortfalls on one house with excess from another instead of selling it back to the power company for a fraction of what it cost to generate it. But keep in mind, even if you reduce demand on the grid through solar, you still need enough capacity on the generation side to cover demand for rare events and you still need backup plants on line. You can’t just shut down power plants and expect solar and Tesla power walls to meet all your needs.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

BCSnob wrote:

We got 3 Christmas cards 1.5 months after the postmark date; I doubt EV postal vehicles will make delivery’s slower. Pony Express would have been faster.

Well there's no De Joy in that. [emoticon]
I think the new Admin will make the necessary changes to bring the USPS back to normal.

LMAO... You mean Uncle Joe

LMAO also but ROF.

He sure got the price of gasoline back to normal quickly. Come on man.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Volvo just did the same thing. No more vehicle with tail pipes after 2030.

https://electrek.co/2021/03/02/volvo-only-sell-electric-cars-by-2030/

I think that is like 4 manufacturers now, not including the new manufacturers like Tesla and Rivian that already build only electric vehicles.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the electric cars being the largest change in automotive ever. They already are going to come in force in the next couple of years. I already had a Volt and loved it for in the city, I will get another as soon as I see one that works for older folks,ie: getting in and out. If anyone thinks these cars and trucks are not going to happen had better wake up GM and the others are not putting billions out there just for the heck of it~!!!

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

I agree with the electric cars being the largest change in automotive ever. They already are going to come in force in the next couple of years. I already had a Volt and loved it for in the city, I will get another as soon as I see one that works for older folks,ie: getting in and out. If anyone thinks these cars and trucks are not going to happen had better wake up GM and the others are not putting billions out there just for the heck of it~!!!

Audi makes an easy egress ingress EV SUV. I’m not in love with the look but then again I don’t like the look of SUV’s. Tesla also makes the model Y which is easy to get in and out of...and it’s also kind of...not great looking...although I think it looks nicer than the Audi.

In my opinion the only good looking EV hatchback kind of SUV is the Jaguar I Pace. Best looking EV on the road today. Gorgeous in and out. Sits a little higher and is easier to get in and out of than our Tesla model 3.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real question for me is an EV really cost effective when compared to an ICE or hybrid type vehicle. It is hard to cut through the marketing hyperbole on some of the EV web sites. I will probably give my 2009 CRV to my GS so I am looking for another car anyways and started looking at the some of these EV's. I tried to compare an EV to my current RAV4 Hybrid and this is my logic. I live in CT and my total cost per KWH is 27 cents( 9 cents to generate and 18 cents for delivery costs). Most EV's I looked would use 30 KWH's to go 100 miles. At 27 cents/KWH X 30 KWH's= $8.1 to travel 100 miles. My 2019 RAV4 averages 40MPGs so 100 miles/ 40 MPG's=2.5 gals x $2.00/gal = $5.00. If gas goes to $3/gal and it will that would be $7.50. At $4/gal = $10 to travel 100 miles. So to me the equivalent cost is about $3.40/gal. Not factored in is Ct uses mostly oil to generate electric so the electric cost will go up as the price of oil just not as fast as gas. This does not include all the other stuff others have mentioned such as higher initial cost of the vehicle, etc. Bottom line EV's don't make sense to me unless gas prices exceed $4/gal. Am I missing something in my math?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.