RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/21 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

The real question for me is an EV really cost effective when compared to an ICE or hybrid type vehicle. It is hard to cut through the marketing hyperbole on some of the EV web sites. I will probably give my 2009 CRV to my GS so I am looking for another car anyways and started looking at the some of these EV's. I tried to compare an EV to my current RAV4 Hybrid and this is my logic. I live in CT and my total cost per KWH is 27 cents( 9 cents to generate and 18 cents for delivery costs). Most EV's I looked would use 30 KWH's to go 100 miles. At 27 cents/KWH X 30 KWH's= $8.1 to travel 100 miles. My 2019 RAV4 averages 40MPGs so 100 miles/ 40 MPG's=2.5 gals x $2.00/gal = $5.00. If gas goes to $3/gal and it will that would be $7.50. At $4/gal = $10 to travel 100 miles. So to me the equivalent cost is about $3.40/gal. Not factored in is Ct uses mostly oil to generate electric so the electric cost will go up as the price of oil just not as fast as gas. This does not include all the other stuff others have mentioned such as higher initial cost of the vehicle, etc. Bottom line EV's don't make sense to me unless gas prices exceed $4/gal. Am I missing something in my math?


I don't have a dog in this fight. I plan to use the 2 vehicles we have for as long as we are driving.
As to your math, what about the cost of maintaining the ICE?
And I can see how the "fueling" on long trips would be a issue. But the fuel at home for most trips would be great.

2oldman

NM

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/21 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Am I missing something in my math?
Maybe oil changes, lubes and repairs.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Online
Posted: 03/02/21 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

The real question for me is an EV really cost effective when compared to an ICE or hybrid type vehicle. It is hard to cut through the marketing hyperbole on some of the EV web sites. I will probably give my 2009 CRV to my GS so I am looking for another car anyways and started looking at the some of these EV's. I tried to compare an EV to my current RAV4 Hybrid and this is my logic. I live in CT and my total cost per KWH is 27 cents( 9 cents to generate and 18 cents for delivery costs). Most EV's I looked would use 30 KWH's to go 100 miles. At 27 cents/KWH X 30 KWH's= $8.1 to travel 100 miles. My 2019 RAV4 averages 40MPGs so 100 miles/ 40 MPG's=2.5 gals x $2.00/gal = $5.00. If gas goes to $3/gal and it will that would be $7.50. At $4/gal = $10 to travel 100 miles. So to me the equivalent cost is about $3.40/gal. Not factored in is Ct uses mostly oil to generate electric so the electric cost will go up as the price of oil just not as fast as gas. This does not include all the other stuff others have mentioned such as higher initial cost of the vehicle, etc. Bottom line EV's don't make sense to me unless gas prices exceed $4/gal. Am I missing something in my math?


EV owner here. Your math looks fine to me. People in your position need to base their decision to buy an EV on other reasons because it doesn't make sense from the fuel point of view. So for instance, do you like the performance of an EV better, convenience (charge at home as opposed to going to gas stations) low maintenance. Winter warm ups from the cell phone as opposed to staring it up etc etc. If none of those things matter just stay with the RAV4 hybrid. They are great cars.

We are just the opposite here in BC. You are from the US so I'll keep the prices and measurements in US dollars and gallons. Gas here is about 3.50 a gallon. Power is about 7 cents delivered. Absolute no brainer to go electric. Plus the vast majority of power here is hydro so cheap cheap cheap.

For what its worth if I had to go back to a gasser I would be looking at a RAV 4 plug in hybrid. Neighbour has one. Really nice car.

Cheers

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/02/21 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Not factored in is Ct uses mostly oil to generate electric so the electric cost will go up as the price of oil just not as fast as gas.
95% Nat gas and nuke as of 2019. 5% renewables.

https://www.eia.gov/state/analysis.php?sid=CT


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/02/21 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Gjac wrote:

The real question for me is an EV really cost effective when compared to an ICE or hybrid type vehicle. It is hard to cut through the marketing hyperbole on some of the EV web sites. I will probably give my 2009 CRV to my GS so I am looking for another car anyways and started looking at the some of these EV's. I tried to compare an EV to my current RAV4 Hybrid and this is my logic. I live in CT and my total cost per KWH is 27 cents( 9 cents to generate and 18 cents for delivery costs). Most EV's I looked would use 30 KWH's to go 100 miles. At 27 cents/KWH X 30 KWH's= $8.1 to travel 100 miles. My 2019 RAV4 averages 40MPGs so 100 miles/ 40 MPG's=2.5 gals x $2.00/gal = $5.00. If gas goes to $3/gal and it will that would be $7.50. At $4/gal = $10 to travel 100 miles. So to me the equivalent cost is about $3.40/gal. Not factored in is Ct uses mostly oil to generate electric so the electric cost will go up as the price of oil just not as fast as gas. This does not include all the other stuff others have mentioned such as higher initial cost of the vehicle, etc. Bottom line EV's don't make sense to me unless gas prices exceed $4/gal. Am I missing something in my math?


I don't have a dog in this fight. I plan to use the 2 vehicles we have for as long as we are driving.
As to your math, what about the cost of maintaining the ICE?
And I can see how the "fueling" on long trips would be a issue. But the fuel at home for most trips would be great.
I don't have a dog in this fight either and my initial plan was to use my RAV4 for long trips and just use the EV for running around town until I actually ran the numbers and found the RAV4 to be more cost effective in daily driving. As far as maintenance goes oil changes every 10,000 miles would be extra along with other fluid changes, but I don't think enough to exceed the initial cost of the EV.

2oldman

NM

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/21 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My next car will be electric just because they're so quiet, clean, and very cool. And loaded with technology.

MT BOB

Montana

New Member

Joined: 03/02/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/21 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even Elon Musk has said it would be unsustainable,and stupid to flood the "users" market with all electric vehicles,as the means for huge amounts of more production, and the grids to transfer it will both be a long time coming,perhaps not in his lifetime.

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/02/21 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

My next car will be electric just because they're so quiet, clean, and very cool. And loaded with technology.
My 54 Ford I had in HS with with a bored out 312 eng, 411 gears and lake pipes was cool, electric cars not as cool. As far as clean I can't verify that either, I have a coal fired plant 10 miles from my house supposedly used just in peak times and a garbage burning generator in the next town over also. Coal, oil, NG, nuclear, hydro need to be used to generate electricity. If EV's make up 3% today and 80%-100% by 2030 that is a lot more stuff being added to the air if generation ratios stay the same. Technology, I like simple and cost effective stuff if technology helps that's great. When my key fob was stolen out of my new car it cost me $450 for a new one and to reprogram my existing one. I could of replaced my older metal key for 75 cents, not cool.

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/02/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MT BOB wrote:

Even Elon Musk has said it would be unsustainable,and stupid to flood the "users" market with all electric vehicles,as the means for huge amounts of more production, and the grids to transfer it will both be a long time coming,perhaps not in his lifetime.
You are right, Ct. has a very old grid system that is just about maxed out now.

2oldman

NM

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/21 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

I could of (sic) replaced my older metal key for 75 cents, not cool.
But I can still think they're cool, right?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.