RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/19/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/05/21 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Yes, if I want to go to Kansas to see my daughter, it is nice to get up in the morning and be there for evening!

Would rather have more time with her!


Valid point.

I bet no one on this board, save for a few full timers, have 1 vehicle in the family. So for the next 10 yrs: EV for commutes, IC for long trips or high duty cycle towing / off roading.

In 10/20/30 yrs, when they make duallies with 1000 kWh packs and 10 min charging, we go 100% electric. Simple as that!

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/05/21 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of debate about electric going on here. I can imagine at the turn of century 120 years ago there were a lot of people sitting on their saddle or in thier buggy scoffing at these early gas powered machines. Not near as many buggies these days.

Dan


2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 03/05/21 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

A lot of debate about electric going on here. I can imagine at the turn of century 120 years ago there were a lot of people sitting on their saddle or in thier buggy scoffing at these early gas powered machines. Not near as many buggies these days.

Dan
For the record electric vehicles have been around longer than ICE cars. I saw one from the 1870's, there were reasons why they never made it and ICE vehicles did. So it took 150 years to almost compete with a gas car. Maybe a few more years they will overtake gasoline cars.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/05/21 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

In 10/20/30 yrs, when they make duallies with 1000 kWh packs and 10 min charging, we go 100% electric. Simple as that!
I understand the 600 mile Semi that runs at 80,000 pounds will not have 1000kWh.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Online
Posted: 03/05/21 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Hammerboy wrote:

A lot of debate about electric going on here. I can imagine at the turn of century 120 years ago there were a lot of people sitting on their saddle or in thier buggy scoffing at these early gas powered machines. Not near as many buggies these days.

Dan
For the record electric vehicles have been around longer than ICE cars. I saw one from the 1870's, there were reasons why they never made it and ICE vehicles did. So it took 150 years to almost compete with a gas car. Maybe a few more years they will overtake gasoline cars.


Yah. The technology hasn’t changed at all since then. LOL. [emoticon]

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Online
Posted: 03/06/21 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

A lot of debate about electric going on here. I can imagine at the turn of century 120 years ago there were a lot of people sitting on their saddle or in thier buggy scoffing at these early gas powered machines. Not near as many buggies these days.

Dan


Then as now, some of that debate was based on valid reasoning. As late as 1970 my family had to gravel 1/4 mile of the county road between the house and the road the county graveled. Go past the house, about 3 miles of graded dirt before you got to gravel again.
Once the school bus I was on went in a ditch in a snow storm. Driver and about a dozen kids walked 1/4 mile to nearest house. Farmer mounted a work horse to go couple miles to a house that had phone to inform parents. 3 days later uncle showed up with a bale sled behind a team of mules to deliver food, and take some of use home. It was over a week before the roads where open to normal traffic.
The cars, and infrastructure have always spread together.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/12/2005

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 03/06/21 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Reisender wrote:


If the only thing important to a driver is driving 900 miles non stop I see nothing wrong with staying with diesel. I don’t know anybody who does that other than commercial reasons but hey. To each his own. A long travel day for us is about 600 kilometers (400 miles). A 900 miles range of a vehicle would not be an asset for me. To each his own though.


Yes, if I want to go to Kansas to see my daughter, it is nice to get up in the morning and be there for evening!

Would rather have more time with her!


???????????????????? 900 miles that's a min of 13 to 15 hours I am sure you would be up for a visit after that and the next day you won't be worth much either.


2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Online
Posted: 03/06/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Reisender wrote:


If the only thing important to a driver is driving 900 miles non stop I see nothing wrong with staying with diesel. I don’t know anybody who does that other than commercial reasons but hey. To each his own. A long travel day for us is about 600 kilometers (400 miles). A 900 miles range of a vehicle would not be an asset for me. To each his own though.


Yes, if I want to go to Kansas to see my daughter, it is nice to get up in the morning and be there for evening!

Would rather have more time with her!


???????????????????? 900 miles that's a min of 13 to 15 hours I am sure you would be up for a visit after that and the next day you won't be worth much either.


I can see the odd person doing 1300 kilometers (900 miles) per day for reasons described or other pressing reasons. With the Security weights in airports nowadays it might make sense for some. But I would think a very small part of the population would actually drive more than 800 kilometers (500 miles) per day. So that single range advantage of a liquid fueled car will not keep most people hooked on liquid fuel. The significant advantages of EV’s far outweighs those of liquid fueled vehicles. And presently an 800 kilometer road trip in the most commonly sold EV’s is no longer or shorter than the same trip in a liquid fuel vehicle.

Jmho.

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 03/06/21 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Gjac wrote:

Hammerboy wrote:

A lot of debate about electric going on here. I can imagine at the turn of century 120 years ago there were a lot of people sitting on their saddle or in thier buggy scoffing at these early gas powered machines. Not near as many buggies these days.

Dan
For the record electric vehicles have been around longer than ICE cars. I saw one from the 1870's, there were reasons why they never made it and ICE vehicles did. So it took 150 years to almost compete with a gas car. Maybe a few more years they will overtake gasoline cars.


Yah. The technology hasn’t changed at all since then. LOL. [emoticon]
The point being it took 150 years for the technology to change to make EV's almost comparable to gas vehicles.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Online
Posted: 03/06/21 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Gjac wrote:

Hammerboy wrote:

A lot of debate about electric going on here. I can imagine at the turn of century 120 years ago there were a lot of people sitting on their saddle or in thier buggy scoffing at these early gas powered machines. Not near as many buggies these days.

Dan
For the record electric vehicles have been around longer than ICE cars. I saw one from the 1870's, there were reasons why they never made it and ICE vehicles did. So it took 150 years to almost compete with a gas car. Maybe a few more years they will overtake gasoline cars.


Yah. The technology hasn’t changed at all since then. LOL. [emoticon]
The point being it took 150 years for the technology to change to make EV's almost comparable to gas vehicles.


Serious development has only been in the last two decades. And for the most part electric vehicles are superior to gas vehicles. Gas vehicles have a lot of catching up to do if they want a chance at staying relevant in the next twenty years. Frankly I doubt manufacturers will waste money trying to close the gap. Pickups are in a little different category although light duty half tons will probably be well accepted.

Jmho but I doubt in 15 years anyone is going to choose a stinky, gutless, noisy, high maintenance, expensive to fuel vehicle that you have to take to a gas station and fuel. At very minimum gas companies are going to have to offer a home delivery service for free to your house or workplace on a regular basis that takes none of your time. I can’t see them doing that.

Jmho.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.