|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> From our daily camping log:

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tide was no good so we went up to the Everglades with the Kayaks (first time in the kayaks this year), and had a fun 7 mile paddle on the Nine mile Pond canoe trail. We had an interesting happening near the end of the trip when we came around a corner where the width of the trail was only about eight feet wide and there was an eight foot long gator directly across it blocking our way. Normally they sink down and hide in the depths but the depth was only about two feet and the water was crystal clear. We sat there, about six feet behind it waiting for it to move, but it just looked at us and stayed right where it was. I finally decided to force it's hand, (or mouth) and very slowly paddled forward. It got the message and turned in the same direction we were going and slowly lead the way. It would have made a neat video with the gator leading us with it's tail touching the bow of my kayak. Finally after about fifty feet it pulled over to the side, stopped and submerged so that we could go by. As I passed I was close enough to reach over and touch it's back, but naturally didn't. Then as Nanci came up and as she was passing over it, it raised it's head up and either hissed or got some air. -Probably letting us know we disturbed it's siesta.
All and all it was a fun day

Guy

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a nice trip. I don't kayak or even paddle any thing,but if I saw a gator blocking my way I would of turned around and been back the 7 miles in about a minute and a half.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

Sounds like a nice trip. I don't kayak or even paddle any thing,but if I saw a gator blocking my way I would of turned around and been back the 7 miles in about a minute and a half.

I we have paddled in and around them for the past thirty years and I have
had a lot of experience with them. Any that are larger than eight feet I give them them the complete right of way and will keep a safe distance. Especially the ten and twelve foot males. If they are eight feet and smaller I'll make them move unless it is a mother with babies in which case I'll keep a safe distance.
Also at any length even the smaller ones will defend themselves if they get cornered and don't have an escape route

Guy

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/21 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ain’t messin with a garter of any size

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> From our daily camping log:
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.