|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Loss of Credit Cards and other Important Items

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last Saturday, I experienced the loss of one credit card. a debit card, my drivers license and VA medical ID card. I had been food shopping and mistakenly left the small container with the cards at the checkout location. Upon returning home, I noticed the container missing. I called the store to see if anyone had turned it in, since this had happened once before, and some honest person had given it to customer service. This time, nobody honest found it.

So, I immediately contacted my financial institution to invalidate both cards. I'll still need to obtain replacement cards for the DL and VA. Fortunately. the management at the hotel where I'm living had made a copy of my DL when I first checked in. They made me another copy, so at least that will suffice for now. I've also notified my VA medical center for a replacement ID card. Fortunately I still have a credit card that wasn't in the lost container, but that card has issues at checkout and takes multiple tries to get it to work. I had already ordered a replacement, but I'm afraid the defective card may soon fail entirely before the new one arrives. I rely very much on credit cards since I carry little cash, and can't get more without a debit card.

In retrospect, I see it was foolish to carry all these cards in one container. From now on I will keep credit/debit cards separate since it's easier to replace those cards than a drivers license or VA ID. Live and learn! [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear about your lost cards. That is a real pain having to replace all those cards.

Is there any way to put a tether onto your container, like bikers do with chains to their wallets?

I hope it goes well getting the DL and VA cards replaced.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

FlashBuddy

Fort Collins Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, what a bummer. Sorry for your loss [emoticon]

How about one of those GPS tracker tiles? I can't imagine splitting up my various cards/id etc. I split up my car key, trailer keys and house keys. Resulted in never having the keys I needed in the place I needed them :-P They're all on one ring again.

Turns out bikers are a lot smarter then I realized. I took your advice on protecting my wallet with a chain:

[image]

2018 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel Lariat Super Crew 4X4
Grand Design Reflection 295RL
Jan Baby the Wife & Molly the Dog

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What we use when traveling is a passport holder that slings around our neck. I wear it sideways and tuck it under my arm.
You could use the same.

Passport holder

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I have a new VA med ID card on order. It was easy-peezy. After I finished my therapy session this morning, I visited the appropriate office in the same building. After a few questions, another card was ordered and will be mailed to my address.

Next will be the drivers license. I've decided to change states, going from my previous state, Arizona to Texas. I have an appointment in about 2 weeks at a local DMV office.

BTW, I appreciate the replies and suggestions, folks. [emoticon]

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mgirardo wrote:

Sorry to hear about your lost cards. That is a real pain having to replace all those cards.

Is there any way to put a tether onto your container, like bikers do with chains to their wallets?

I hope it goes well getting the DL and VA cards replaced.

-Michael

I like the picture of your chained wallet, Flash Buddy. I hope you don't forget the lock combination! [emoticon]

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

What we use when traveling is a passport holder that slings around our neck. I wear it sideways and tuck it under my arm.
You could use the same.

Passport holder

Thanks, Fizz, for the link. I just now ordered that over the neck carry bag from Amazon. Should arrive Thursday. [emoticon]

I'm really surprised at losing my cards holder. After the first time it happened, I've been very careful to check my wheelchair carry bag before leaving an area. I know I checked this time, but I guess I thought I saw it in the bag. Should have reached in and touched it! [emoticon]

* This post was edited 03/01/21 12:31pm by mr. ed *

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Thanks, Fizz, for the link. I just now ordered that over the neck carry bag from Amazon. Should arrive Thursday. [emoticon]

I know exactly what it feels like, that dreadful minute when it all sinks in.
Glad I could help.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i keep my cards in my wallet which stays in my pants pocket and remains in my hand when i take out a card for use. i had my wallet stolen 30+ years ago and it was a pain replacimg all those cards. there was a funny ending to that story. about a week after the theft of my wallet i received a notice to come to the post office to pick up a package. that package turned out to be the contents of my wallet minus the cash. i didn't get the wallet back either.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need zippers on my pocket. The key fob to the Ford apparently fell out while sitting? somewhere. Bill fold is kept in left front pocket has fallen out too.
I have some clothing with zippers or buttons on pockets..but on legs and the slamming of it on my leg all the time would not be great.
I have left a Debit card at a checkout and discovered it 200 miles away. Fortunately Relative nearby that store retrieved it for me and mailed it home.
I have one card that has disappeared but no one has used it, Got a replacement a few weeks back. No telling how many months or years ago it disappeared. I don't use cards, don't buy anything, except fuel on two cards.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Loss of Credit Cards and other Important Items
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.