|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Loss of Credit Cards and other Important Items

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

i keep my cards in my wallet which stays in my pants pocket and remains in my hand when i take out a card for use. i had my wallet stolen 30+ years ago and it was a pain replacimg all those cards. there was a funny ending to that story. about a week after the theft of my wallet i received a notice to come to the post office to pick up a package. that package turned out to be the contents of my wallet minus the cash. i didn't get the wallet back either.

Great story! I guess the thief, in your case, had somewhat of a conscience.
I used to carry a wallet in a pants pocket before I became wheelchair bound. Now, I generally wear sweat pants with no pockets. Besides, trying to retrieve a wallet from a pants pocket while seated in a wheelchair would be quite inconvenient. I think I'll be pleased with the over-the-neck product I just ordered. It would be hard to lose that, methinks. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want the security of another credit card while you're waiting for replacement cards, use either another credit card or bank cash withdrawal to purchase a VISA or MasterCard gift card in whatever amount works for your interim needs.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Need zippers on my pocket. The key fob to the Ford apparently fell out while sitting? somewhere...

had the same problem/concern years ago so i've been using one of these to keep my keys with me. there are two types...one that slips over the belt and one in which the belt slips theough the clip. i use the latter type.

">][image]

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go on ricksteeves.com , he has several travel wallets that might work for you.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

If you want the security of another credit card while you're waiting for replacement cards, use either another credit card or bank cash withdrawal to purchase a VISA or MasterCard gift card in whatever amount works for your interim needs.

Thanks for the suggestion, Dutch. I still have the one Visa card that I saved. It will work after several try's. The cashier is usually successful in getting it to work. I can't make a bank cash withdrawal without my lost debit card anyway. The replacement Visa card should arrive in perhaps a week. [emoticon]

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a panic situation for sure.

Lost my wallet in an airport on the island of Kauai and was delighted to hear that wallet was turned into airport security and actually mailed back to me with every card......minus $600 in cash ??

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done it both ways and now have 'em all in a shield container.

Ran into a problem the other day in that I was shopping for food and realized I'd left the cards in my other coat. . Thankfully I had cash on me. More than enough.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Working on the other side of metro, watched a car pull out off a shopping center with a purse sitting on top. It fell off on the other side of intersection. I picked it up, hoping to catch at the next light. While loading the next load I found ID, called 411, then called her. While looking saw a stack of at least a dozen bills, 1 was a 100. Told her I would meet her in the area I had seen her after my last load, would call when could pinpoint time. I confess I thought I might get a tip out of it. By the time she got there I was in handcuffs. As normal, the clean, well dressed obviously well off is more likely to be telling the truth, than the guy that is dirty from a day hauling rock. Did not help that my wallet was a few blocks away because I didn't want to drive thru PL. "Officer, if I stole he purse, wanted to do her harm, wouldn't I just go to the address?"

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Found a way this morning to make a defective credit card work. My one remaining credit card that wasn't lost in my recent fiasco had been giving me problems for quite some time; after insertion into machine, screen would indicate the card wasn't good. After several tries, card usually worked when cashier tried it. I learned the trick today from a helpful Walmart employee: Insert chip end into machine for three attempts. After third attempt, swipe card. It worked well. Still a bit of a pain, but at least the card can be used. Anyhow, a new replacement card has been mailed and is on the way. Bank also informed me that my new debit card is on the way, too [emoticon]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Found a way this morning to make a defective credit card work. My one remaining credit card that wasn't lost in my recent fiasco had been giving me problems for quite some time; after insertion into machine, screen would indicate the card wasn't good. After several tries, card usually worked when cashier tried it. I learned the trick today from a helpful Walmart employee: Insert chip end into machine for three attempts. After third attempt, swipe card. It worked well. Still a bit of a pain, but at least the card can be used. Anyhow, a new replacement card has been mailed and is on the way. Bank also informed me that my new debit card is on the way, too [emoticon]

I worked at a place that took cards for a while years ago. Try twice, don't work slide it backwards. (No, Miss Blondie, it does not put money back on card). Then try putting card in baggie, slide again. I hated to do it but could key in the number by hand.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Loss of Credit Cards and other Important Items
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.