|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Loss of Credit Cards and other Important Items

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

Found a way this morning to make a defective credit card work. My one remaining credit card that wasn't lost in my recent fiasco had been giving me problems for quite some time; after insertion into machine, screen would indicate the card wasn't good. After several tries, card usually worked when cashier tried it. I learned the trick today from a helpful Walmart employee: Insert chip end into machine for three attempts. After third attempt, swipe card. It worked well. Still a bit of a pain, but at least the card can be used. Anyhow, a new replacement card has been mailed and is on the way. Bank also informed me that my new debit card is on the way, too [emoticon]

I worked at a place that took cards for a while years ago. Try twice, don't work slide it backwards. (No, Miss Blondie, it does not put money back on card). Then try putting card in baggie, slide again. I hated to do it but could key in the number by hand.

I'm not sure if you can still punch in the card number by hand. I asked the employee to do that, but she mumbled something and then worked her magic, as I described. At other places where I shopped nobody tried entering the number. Anyway, I can at least use the card until the new one arrives.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/21 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

If you want the security of another credit card while you're waiting for replacement cards, use either another credit card or bank cash withdrawal to purchase a VISA or MasterCard gift card in whatever amount works for your interim needs.

Thanks for the suggestion, Dutch. I still have the one Visa card that I saved. It will work after several try's. [emoticon]

likely a bad chip or magnetic strip. i've had good results by rubbing the magnetic strip on my jeans before inserting the card into the reader. me? i'd get a replacement card. one day it may save your bacon.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't type the number in? Then I would just call in for curbside pickup. How do you pay for the stuff then? Somebody types in the number.
I would do what I could to avoid doing that. And I can stand under a underpaid store clerk not wanting to do it

* This post was edited 03/04/21 06:47am by an administrator/moderator *

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new Visa card is already on the way. I just received my new debit card yesterday. My drivers license replacement process will begin on the 16th (Texas DL vs Arizona)

* This post was edited 03/06/21 08:40am by an administrator/moderator *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Loss of Credit Cards and other Important Items
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.