|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Underframe Storage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
NiasWagn

Western Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking to make some changes this season to my fifth wheel. First, I'm mounting the spare tire under the trailer up front near the landing gear. I think that's going to work just fine.

Secondly, I'm looking to add a box in front of the first axle that will hang down about 12 inches (still above the axle) to store my waste water tote. It would seem this would work fine except maybe some elevated RR crossing or something (which I would never attempt anyway). Is there anything else I should be thinking about. I'm looking for ideas. The other alternative is to add a box to the rear of the trailer but I don't really want to do that. I plan on having a hitch welded on and putting a bicycle rack back there.

My camper does not have a ladder on the back and I've seen some folks strap it to the ladder. That's not an option for me.

Thoughts? Photos?

2012 F-150 EB 3.73
2014 Forest River 25RR
2004 GL1800
2014 Texas Healer with wet nose named Molly

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something like this should probably do the trick. A bit pricy but most things that fit RV's are.
Barney

[image]

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

NiasWagn

Western Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the feedback.

I actually came across that in my travels. It is not big enough for my tote. To be clear on my ask, I'm custom making the box. It will be 1 foot tall to fit my tote. I'm just curious if there aren't any gotcha's with something like this that I'm not thinking about. I will supply a photo or two when I'm done but before I get started I thought I'd seek some feedback from others.

* This post was edited 03/01/21 10:38am by an administrator/moderator *

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If just for the tote, maybe just some angle iron to hold it might be easier.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My previous trailer had the spare up front under the trailer. It was well supported and I was able to add "safety" chains around it and attach to the frame.

My big concern with a front mounted spare is if it ever came loose. The damage as it bounced it's way to exit in the rear could be catastrophic. The retractable hangers used to hold the spare up that are on most trailers are pretty flimsy.

NiasWagn

Western Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

My previous trailer had the spare up front under the trailer. It was well supported and I was able to add "safety" chains around it and attach to the frame.

My big concern with a front mounted spare is if it ever came loose. The damage as it bounced it's way to exit in the rear could be catastrophic. The retractable hangers used to hold the spare up that are on most trailers are pretty flimsy.

That's a great piece of advice. Thanks for sharing that. That should be pretty easily accomplished.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

Let me see if I understand what you are saying. Your spare, mounted on front, comes loose, it will bounce around destroying your property. But if it is mounted on rear, your property is safe. The death and destruction that likely will happen behind you is not important?

OP, on level ground, park the front tire on a string. Pull that string up to the lowest point halfway between that axle and the rear axle of TV. Box above string? Very unlikely to hit it. Could you make a cage to hold tank up between crossmembers? Might need it hinged so could lower outside end to get it in/out.

* This post was edited 03/04/21 08:08am by JRscooby *

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/21 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen some pics of the Bal spare tire carrier that also held a waste water tote and the spare tire. Something like that would work well I would think. Good luck.

Bal carrier.

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 214,000 miles
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

NiasWagn

Western Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shadows4 wrote:

I have seen some pics of the Bal spare tire carrier that also held a waste water tote and the spare tire. Something like that would work well I would think. Good luck.

Bal carrier.

Believe it or not, that was my original plan exactly. This spring I set out to put it into motion and guess what? I can't buy that BAL carrier anywhere. There's a sudden shortage of spare tire carriers now. Instead I paid four times as much for a Lippert model. The good part is it is made for the frame so just bolt it on and go.

NiasWagn

Western Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

dryfly wrote:

OP, on level ground, park the front tire on a string. Pull that string up to the lowest point halfway between that axle and the rear axle of TV. Box above string? Very unlikely to hit it. Could you make a cage to hold tank up between crossmembers? Might need it hinged so could lower outside end to get it in/out.

My trailer has an enclosed underbelly and I don't want to mess with it but that is actually a good idea otherwise. I've got the underside sealed up pretty tight. The first year I parked it over the winter I had mice in there...since then...none. I saw the string trick in the instruction manual Lippert sent me for my spare tire carrier so I'll give that a shot too up front. Thanks for the advice there.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Underframe Storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.