|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fog lights on w/ High Beams, New GM trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Works just like on the last couple gen trucks.
New 2020 Silverado

Will see how much it helps.
Last Chebby, 2016 model, it was night and day difference (pun intended, lol).
Well not quite, but the OE fog/driving lights did a nice job of keeping the foreground lit when high beams were on.

Google it if interested. Hardest part is getting the diode wire into the back of the plug receptacle without kinking the wire. Small pair of needle nose pliers and making a "Z" in each diode lead helps.

They make "kits" which consist of 2 scotch locks, and a diode with some shrink tubing over it for $20. I like the cheap method, $1.99 for a 3 pack, A. because I'm cheap and B. No wiring modifications, no cut insulation. Completely removable and untraceable should there ever be an electrical issue (not caused by this).

Highly reccomended simple little mod.

And Karens, please don't bother with the "its against some rule" bs.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Mel Stuplich

Wausau, WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a Karen I ask: WHAT??

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tune out once I see 'scotch locks'

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes, a definite nice update. With many functions controlled by the BCM logic rather than dedicated switches there are some other easy diode mods that work at least on the 2015.5 trucks.

turn on the mirror LED backup lights and the truck bed lights whenever you go into reverse rather than having to turn them on manually

Have the mirror cover lights also blink as turn signal indicators.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

yes, a definite nice update. With many functions controlled by the BCM logic rather than dedicated switches there are some other easy diode mods that work at least on the 2015.5 trucks.

turn on the mirror LED backup lights and the truck bed lights whenever you go into reverse rather than having to turn them on manually

Have the mirror cover lights also blink as turn signal indicators.

Yea, my new truck has the forward facing mirror spot lights, whatever they are called. Next step is to hook those up to work when in gear and reverse.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I tune out once I see 'scotch locks'

No scotch locks required. That's what the "kits" come with, but you can do the same thing by just inserting the diode wires into the plug like I explained.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mel Stuplich wrote:

As a Karen I ask: WHAT??

What?

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over years I found in heavy fog I could see best when I turned on only the amber lamps. And if I turned on high beams, the amber where useless. Of course, if the mission is to be seen in normal weather, drive the truck on.

But in all things electrical, Scotch-locks can be as much fun as dropping a anvil on your foot.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Over years I found in heavy fog I could see best when I turned on only the amber lamps. And if I turned on high beams, the amber where useless. Of course, if the mission is to be seen in normal weather, drive the truck on.

But in all things electrical, Scotch-locks can be as much fun as dropping a anvil on your foot.

I totally agree about amber fogs. Wish more vehicles came with them. Especially up here in the land of rain and fog.
Although this has nothing to do with driving in the fog (with high beams???) nor scotch locks. I agree about scotch locks too. Friggin hate those things. They only get used in select instances by me. Unlike the mfgs of both my boat trailer and enclosed trailer that appeared to have stock in the Scotch Lock company!

Edit: And the geniuses who literally had 4 different sets of trailer wiring wired into the rear of the old Chevy pickup I'm restoring. There was 1 set of trailer lights wired in with the OEM plug type wiring adapter (it's an 86 so it has quick connects with weather pak type plugs). 2 more sets scotch locked to that and one set scotch locked to the OE wiring. And NONE of it worked.
There was 2ea 4 way flat connections, 1ea 7 way round connection and 1 more 4way run back to the front of the bed (for TC lights). Idk if someone actually had 3 things plugged in at the rear bumper at the same time or just kept adding plugs as the old ones crapped out!
Fortunately the OE wires aren't screwed up. Did a little liquid electrical tape where they tapped the OE wires and need to re-wire 1 good 7 pin trailer plug.

* This post was edited 03/02/21 04:47pm by Grit dog *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Idk if the OE secondary lights are classified as fog lights or driving lights. I call them fogs because they're low and don't project out far.
They are very helpful and complement the headlights for better vision. But ambers would be great for low vis situations.
Amber bulbs don't seem plentiful or even available for most newer applications.
There are good quality aftermarket LED amber fogs, even with OE trim pieces to appear to fit better.
I wonder how well the amber or orange film works. Presume it's the same stuff, pretty tough like Clear bra. Think I'm going to try it out.

Wish the big light bar on our Ram would switch to amber for low vis conditions. But probably too bright.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fog lights on w/ High Beams, New GM trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.