|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fog lights on w/ High Beams, New GM trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/21 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

I've never understood why foglights need to shut off when high beams are on, if someone is driving at you with their high beams on, foglights aren't going to make the glare any worse. With my VW and my Harley it's just a programming change.

LOL. In foggy conditions glare from oncoming headlights is generally not a issue. The water in the air will defuse most of that light. But what does happen is more of the light you shine out, the harder it is to see thru what is reflected.
Reading some posts I have come to the conclusion we need to look up the definition of fog lights, as different from driving lights.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/21 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

rjstractor wrote:

I've never understood why foglights need to shut off when high beams are on, if someone is driving at you with their high beams on, foglights aren't going to make the glare any worse. With my VW and my Harley it's just a programming change.

LOL. In foggy conditions glare from oncoming headlights is generally not a issue. The water in the air will defuse most of that light. But what does happen is more of the light you shine out, the harder it is to see thru what is reflected.
Reading some posts I have come to the conclusion we need to look up the definition of fog lights, as different from driving lights.

Except rjs is spot on in his query and I have no idea how what you said is relevant to that.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

These are classic lighting beam patterns to give an idea of what they are designed to do.

But...on this thread, these functional beam patterns are not of interest...just cool factor...AKA looks

Nothing wrong with that...I was talking about function and the science...and the subconscious psychology of vision vs steering vs reaction time

Edit...example of the psychology of Vision & steering.

Freeway on ramp.

If you are trying to merge and see a vehicle driver looking/staring at you...careful, they will subconsciously match your speed to create a problem.

Meaning that when driving fast and you've lit up the near ground, you'll focus there
(where you haven't enough reaction time) instead of farther down the road where you do have enough reaction time

* This post was edited 03/07/21 07:17am by BenK *

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

[image]

Add the driving beam and the fog beam together and you will see the advantage. A few of us here in deer country have a clue about lighting.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

If you are trying to merge and see a vehicle driver looking/staring at you...careful, they will subconsciously match your speed to create a problem.

Meaning that when driving fast and you've lit up the near ground, you'll focus there
(where you haven't enough reaction time) instead of farther down the road where you do have enough reaction time

its more the subconcious acts of the deer I am worried about [emoticon] with normal high beams they freeze when the light hits them, then they think it has gone by and they jump across the road, only to find that it was the space inbtween where the high beams light and the car. with the driving lights (what you are calling fog lights, but there not yellow but simular patterens ) are on in conjunction the area the deer is hiding remains constantly lit so they tend not to move unitll the car goes buy. I drive 60 miles each way to work and back through deer country and since I did this I hardly ever see them.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

01tundra

Middle, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

But...on this thread, these functional beam patterns are not of interest...just cool factor...AKA looks

Nice assumption......[emoticon]

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience is that the quad headlights where the low beam stays on with the high beam give the best overall illumination, the low beams still give a wide spread to see the sides of the roads, while the high beam project out.

Once cars started going back to a single light on each side, the high beam doesn't give good side illumination. That's where the "fog" or whatever you may want to call them beams come into play and give and advantage of good side illumination,

projector headlights are even worse in some conditions since the upper cutoff is so sharp. so on a slight uphill visibility is reduced, and high beams if ok from a traffic standpoint overcome that, but then with no seperate low beam, the fog light really helps fill in.

And just because high beams are on doesn't mean one is going fast. Around hear there are many roads with a 35 or 45 mph speed limit with almost no traffic, so on go the high beams.

and having grown up in areas with lot's of wildlife (4 legged kind) I agree with Grit dog, ANYTHING to see them and keep them in the ditch is positive.

* This post was edited 03/07/21 05:00pm by ktmrfs *

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

01tundra wrote:

Quote:

Nice assumption......[emoticon]

Right?
Only here on AreVee.net could multiple folks take something so simple, innocuous, yet effective and non consequential to others and spin it to something hypothetical, philosophical and some how dangerous to others.
I call it the “Rvnet, The sky is NOT blue, now get off my lawn” theory!

Me, I’m simple. I like the best chance at seeing a deer or elk while it’s still in the contemplation phase of its suicide mission!
Guess if I lived in the inner city, only drove my EV around locally to the Italian coffee shop on my way to the Bingo parlor and limited my over the road driving to between the hours of 9am and 5pm (notice the flavor of current thread references here), I may not see a benefit to the thread I created here.
But I would also hope that I would be polite enough and observative enough to realize that my little world is not necessarily the same as others worlds, and suppress my inner antagonist just long enough to not reply and show everyone my ignorance...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ll admit, I consciously thought that posting up this little helpful trick would stir up the ire of some of our contingent here. Not because there’s any real world issue with doing it, but rather because, a majority of threads here end up in inane arguments.
But as a small sample size comparison, I do not see this behavior nearly as prevalent on other boards or forums I’m a part of.

I’m trying to decipher what it is about the membership here that can’t help themselves from opposing every view put forth, sometimes their own, in contradiction.
I can identify 3 possibilities. Age, intelligence/economic demographic and political affiliation. Unsure what it really is, but average age and politics are different than the other forums I’m on, so, maybe that’s it.

GWolfe

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read somewhere that the glare of the foglights can affect your long range vision at night since the brightest light is right in front of the vehicle and not further out. Driving down the highway at 65 mph I doubt any of us would have time to react to anything that our fog lights lit up before we were on it. I'm not going to lie though, driving down some back road I would love to have as much light as possible on the road in front of me so I could see where it would come in handy.

2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fog lights on w/ High Beams, New GM trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.