|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fog lights on w/ High Beams, New GM trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fog lights are designed mainly for radiation fog and ground fog.

As fog floats above the ground at around 18” or so and up tens fo feet.

So low mounted fog light eluminates the ground through fairly flogless air.

High beams in fog just light up the moisture aerosols (droplets), which will glow and reflect light in all directions...including right back at the light source...the vehicle’s headlamps and the drivers eyes.

High beams are for high speed driving where you need to see whatever is out there. So that you can react to whatever it is out there.

Lighting up the pavement close to the vehicle will only light close things up and if traveling fast...no time to avoid whatever. Why high beam lens do NOT project light close.

Now for things like crawling off road, sure thing. You aren’t going fast but need to see far and close.

Fog lights need to be mounted less than 18 inches from ground level. If higher, then they are just headlights.

Tule fog (California Central Valley is famous for it) can have a low top and semi’s can have their driver’s eyeballs above that fog. Why I follow semi’s with proper distance, as they can see better than cars below.

Plus, in thick fog...turn off your main headlamps and just use properly mounted (height) fog lamps.

IMHO, I’d rather have a separate switch that I control manually...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I tune out once I see 'scotch locks'

Me too...scotch lock connections are not reliable enough for automotive usage

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Ditto.

Washington uses road deicer now. Wires will corrode with scotch locks on them.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

That's what I like about the Rigid Industries Fog Lights I installed on my daily driver car

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo,

Love your very clean OEM level mods!

Would you post where to buy and/or those nifty switch part numbers ?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Fog lights are designed mainly for radiation fog and ground fog.

As fog floats above the ground at around 18” or so and up tens fo feet.

So low mounted fog light eluminates the ground through fairly flogless air.

High beams in fog just light up the moisture aerosols (droplets), which will glow and reflect light in all directions...including right back at the light source...the vehicle’s headlamps and the drivers eyes.

High beams are for high speed driving where you need to see whatever is out there. So that you can react to whatever it is out there.

Lighting up the pavement close to the vehicle will only light close things up and if traveling fast...no time to avoid whatever. Why high beam lens do NOT project light close.

Now for things like crawling off road, sure thing. You aren’t going fast but need to see far and close.

Fog lights need to be mounted less than 18 inches from ground level. If higher, then they are just headlights.

Tule fog (California Central Valley is famous for it) can have a low top and semi’s can have their driver’s eyeballs above that fog. Why I follow semi’s with proper distance, as they can see better than cars below.

Plus, in thick fog...turn off your main headlamps and just use properly mounted (height) fog lamps.

So they provide more light up close while the high beams project light out far. This lighting up the area the low and high beams don’t. It’s not like the fog lights make the high beams less effective , so what’s your point?
(Other than to be antagonistic of course?)

I did learn something new through. I didn’t realize Cali had their own special fog!
I bet “420 fog” would catch on!

* This post was edited 03/03/21 10:31am by Grit dog *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Ditto.

Washington uses road deicer now. Wires will corrode with scotch locks on them.

Do you guys actually read, or are you just like my dogs and hear a random noise and start barking uncontrollably without any reason why they’re barking?
(I’ll let you re read my initial post to see why I would say this)

Oh, and Deltabravo, the last time I got de icer spraying inside the cab of my truck under the dash was when the truck had a 12” hole rusted through the floorboard....
So even IF I used scotch locks, which I didn’t and generally don’t like either, I don’t think corrosion will be an issue until maybe the year 2050.
But by then we won’t be able to drive these cars anymore based on the rvnet prophets’ predictions anyway.
In the meantime I’ll enjoy a nice improvement to the lighting on my truck that was basically free. How much did your cool Rigid fog lights cost?

01tundra

Middle, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed this kit on our 2017 GMC 2500HD, works great. It installs on one of the plugs inside the cab.

Allows you to use the fog lights on either low or high beam, fog light switch still functions as designed. So the fog lights only come on if you choose to hit the factory switch. All this kit does is prevents the fog lights from being automatically switched off when switching from low to high beam "if" you have the fog lights turned on.

After install your lights will function as follows:

Low Beams Only- Only Low Beams will be on
Fog Lights Only- Only Fog Lights will be on
Low Beams & Fogs- Only Low Beams & Fogs will be on
High Beams- Low Beams, Fog Lights, & High Beams will all be on (GM by default normally turns off the fogs when in high beam, but this kit solves that)

Running the fog lights with high beam in rural areas such as ours really helps....and before anyone wants to lecture me on how it's illegal because you could blind oncoming vehicles, I'm not of of the jacka$$e$ who approaches oncoming vehicles with my high beams on so it's a non-issue.

https://boostautoparts.com/products/6hi

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my trucks, the fogs always come on w high beams, as the diode jumper sends signal to fogs when high beam is lit regardless of whether fogs are on prior to or not. (Switches for lights are up stream of the jumper location)

Agree, though, it's a nice convenience to have a little more light when the high beams are on.
The no high w fog "rule" is one of those outdated regulations like 10k gvwr in 3/4 ton trucks.
Something about 4 beams total lit at once forward facing. Heck my truck has 6 beams on hi beam with no fogs lit.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

01tundra wrote:

I installed this kit on our 2017 GMC 2500HD, works great. It installs on one of the plugs inside the cab.

Allows you to use the fog lights on either low or high beam, fog light switch still functions as designed. So the fog lights only come on if you choose to hit the factory switch. All this kit does is prevents the fog lights from being automatically switched off when switching from low to high beam "if" you have the fog lights turned on.

After install your lights will function as follows:

Low Beams Only- Only Low Beams will be on
Fog Lights Only- Only Fog Lights will be on
Low Beams & Fogs- Only Low Beams & Fogs will be on
High Beams- Low Beams, Fog Lights, & High Beams will all be on (GM by default normally turns off the fogs when in high beam, but this kit solves that)

Running the fog lights with high beam in rural areas such as ours really helps....and before anyone wants to lecture me on how it's illegal because you could blind oncoming vehicles, I'm not of of the jacka$$e$ who approaches oncoming vehicles with my high beams on so it's a non-issue.

https://boostautoparts.com/products/6hi

one of my complaints about high beams on cars is that it usually reduces near field side visibility. It's a great mod and can either be done with the boost auto parts or using an appropriate diode.

Another good mod on earlier GM vehicles with quad headlights is to keep the low beams on with the high beams. Many cars do this, it is perfectly legal in all states. For some reason some quad headlight GM vehicles turn off the low beam with high beam on. My 04 silverado did that and I modified it so the low beams stayed on.

* This post was edited 03/05/21 08:24pm by ktmrfs *

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fog lights on w/ High Beams, New GM trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.