|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Battery Powered Lawn Mower

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
DD716TED

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Sears Gas powered lawn mower of 18 years is starting to give up the ghost.. Hard to start, and a real PIA.... My lawn is small .. about 500 sq ft in total.. I am looking at replacing it with a Home Depot Ryobi Battery Powered 16" (18 volt) model or the 20" 40 volt model.. both have brushless motors.. any thoughts before I make the purchase? Ryobi?? Black Decker?? appreciate comments..

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is battery power really necessary, why not a plug in model, a whole lot less money for the size of lawn you have.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 40V model and it works great. I bought it to mow our fenced back yard that doesn't have a gate wide enough for my rider. The area is 1200 sq ft. I entire property is about 1/2 acre of lawn. Just because, I set out to mow the entire yard when I first got it. I was able to do about 1/3 of an acre on the one battery (6 aH). I easily finished with charge to spare once I recharged the battery. My yard is pretty flat so I don't have to deal with any hills or much terrain change while mowing. The controller works well increasing the motor speed as needed if the grass gets thick.

The mower is much lighter and easier to maneuver than my old gas model (22" deck with a 6 HP engine). The only place I have found that the gas model did better is in high grass. If I don't cut for a few weeks, I have to go over a couple of spots twice to get an even cut. I don't bag, so I don't know how well it works for that.

I picked up the 40V blower/battery combo this winter so I have a 2nd battery (4aH) now and feel pretty confident I could mow my entire yard without having to charge now. I've been very happy and can't really think of any negatives at this point. Of course I've only had the mower for one season so I have to see how well it will hold up over time. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up for that size area if you'd rather mow than weedeat it.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

Is battery power really necessary, why not a plug in model, a whole lot less money for the size of lawn you have.

Not having a cord to avoid mowing over is a tremendous advantage, in my humble opinion.

If up for the exercise, an old-fashioned manual unpowered reel mower might be a reasonable option, as well.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year New Neighbor was trying to move his 1/4 acre with electric cord mower.

After what seemed like hours watching him drag the cord around, reposition the cord so he could mow a section, 2 long extension cords cause exterior outlet was only in one place....mower bogging down etc.
I couldn't take it anymore-----pulled out the Troy 22" self propelled mower I hadn't used in couple years cause I got a 42" riding mower.
Dusted it off.........filled the gas tank/couple of pulls and it fired right up

Pushed it across the street and gave it to him as a House Warming Gift

Cord Electric MIGHT be OK for a really small yard
That 16" Self propelled Battery Mower------probably would do a really good job on that small yard......but $304 is more then I paid for that Troy
***course you can use those 18V Batteries for other Ryobi tools

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m all done buying gas power equipment. Once the EPA decided in their infinite wisdom we weren’t allowed to adjust carburetors anymore, gas power equipment became a huge PIA to keep running properly. My garage is becoming void of gas power equipment. Everything will eventually be battery powered. Personally I’m going with the 80V.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

I’m all done buying gas power equipment. Once the EPA decided in their infinite wisdom we weren’t allowed to adjust carburetors anymore, gas power equipment became a huge PIA to keep running properly. My garage is becoming void of gas power equipment. Everything will eventually be battery powered. Personally I’m going with the 80V.

LOL A friend owned a small engine shop. He hated the non-adjustable carbs. Reduced the number of machines where the owner had screwed to the point somebody that knew what they where doing could have it running right in minutes

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a number of those wonderful battery powered tools, all of which are throwaway items with their obsolete or extremely expensive batteries.

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I mow 4+ acers with a lawn mower and 30+ acers with a 50hp tractor. How big of battery would that take! LOL

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Fisherman wrote:

Not having a cord to avoid mowing over is a tremendous advantage, in my humble opinion.

If up for the exercise, an old-fashioned manual unpowered reel mower might be a reasonable option, as well.

Well he said he only had about 500 sq/ft, about 20 x 25 or whichever way you want to lay it out. You don't need a very long cord to accomplish that.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Battery Powered Lawn Mower
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.