|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Battery Powered Lawn Mower

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve got a battery powered weed wackier and I hate it, I’m going back to a gas powered.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not that a long cord is needed; rather, it's the necessity of keeping track of how it's running across the lawn and moving it aside so as not to mow over it. It's hard enough to keep a vacuum cleaner from running afoul of its cord; add spinning blades to the mix, with the very good possibility of destroying said cord, and it's a significant drawback. At least, that's my own opinion.

* This post was edited 03/04/21 06:49am by an administrator/moderator *

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used a corded mower for a few years. Yard was bigger than 500 sqft, needed 150 feet of cord to reach the far corner. Start at house and go back and forth always turning away from house. The cord stayed on what had been cut. The only time I had to stop for cord was when I got to end of 100 ft, when I added the 2nd cord.

* This post was edited 03/04/21 06:50am by an administrator/moderator *

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure most people have the capability of thinking and watching not to run over the cord, if you don't then go with a battery powered one or hire a landscaper

* This post was edited 03/04/21 06:50am by an administrator/moderator *

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And then sometimes the 'magic smoke' gets out......

* This post was edited 03/04/21 06:51am by an administrator/moderator *

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well on the plus side of a corded mower, run over the cord and it may reel in the mower back to the house.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of the battery powered ones use low speed blades (Kind of a scissors system) and I might add that works very well.. It's the same type of system farmers use cutting hay by the thousands of square feet. (Been there done that as they say)

But for 500 Square Feet Either corded or cordless I'd go electric.

In fact.. I did (Corded however) for my much larger lawn.

One thing about the corded units.... My across the street Neighbor borrowed one of my Corded units cause his gas mower was in shop and the grass was getting kind of tall... He was amazed. The unit just chopped through it like a normal cutting... The reason. the type of motor they use likes to spin and if you bog it down it draws more and more power so as to keep spinning.. Oh the maker yammered about a fancy sensor. but it's just a series wound motor.

DO NOT start motor without a blade or you might find out what "Terminal velocity" is for the motor (Depending on safety features installed)

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love love love my EGO electric push mower and Ryobi electric riding mower. (Two very different technologies. The EGO uses Lithium batteries, the Ryobi uses AGM Pb batteries.) I've had the EGO for 5 years, and the Ryobi for 4 years. Both work effectively, and the amount of maintenance needed is a lot lower. No messing around with changing oil, changing air filter, changing plugs, gas cans, gas stabilizer, running them empty before winter, hard starting, mixing gas and oil for the 2-stroke engines, etc...

I mow a bit more than 4 acres. The Ryobi takes about a charge and a half to do all but the trimming. It'll get enough charge in about an hour to do the remainder after running it down. If I put Lithium batteries in it, I could probably do the whole thing in one go, but that'd be a pretty expensive upgrade. It takes 4 group 24 batteries. The EGO has changeable batteries. I have two for it and my other EGO tools (chainsaw, weed whacker, leaf blower, hedge trimmer), but usually don't need more than one for the mowing. The chainsaw will drain a battery far faster than the mower does.

I also have a SnowJoe electric 2 stage snow blower that I use to clear my 1700 foot driveway in the winter, and 3 pairs of batteries for it (and the SunJoe air compressor). It takes 2 batteries at a time. That one is pretty marginal, but does get the job done. The batteries have to be stored and charged indoors where it's warm, which is a little inconvenient. Snow can be pretty heavy, so it runs the batteries down faster than they can recharge, even with 3 sets and 2 double-battery chargers. Even so, I still prefer it to the Craftsman snow blower I had previously.

BTW, you'll also notice above, most of the batteries serve multiple tools. That helps to spread the cost of the batteries out, but it's certainly not something I do to save money. I do it for convenience and to save the time spent on maintenance.

As to corded mowers.. Heh... Not here. [emoticon] Way too much land for that. Seems a reasonable solution on small lots though.

2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My daughter has both a corded electric mower and snowblower. It makes it so I do not need to help with maintenance, old gas, etc. During Covid I was working from her house, and mowed her yard. It was really easy, and yes, start next to plug and work away.

I have migrated to Milwaukee pole saw, chain saw, weed trimmer, and hand-held blower. Definitely migrating to electric tools.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

General Electric and Wheel Horse sold electric tractors beginning 50 years ago that worked quite well. There were many models and many attachments, but they really never did sell very well. I guess the down time for charging and expensive battery replacements was not acceptable, history might repeat itself. Electric Tractors

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Battery Powered Lawn Mower
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.