RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Too old to drive ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Too old to drive ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
goufgators

Crawfordville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know the decision is mine and mine alone. But, I also believe input from those of you who have personally experienced and gone through similar situations will be of assistance to me. About a year ago, I ‘hung up the keys’ and sold our coach due to my age. I’m 80. I was concerned that my driving skills may have deteriorated over the years and that it might not be safe for me to continue ‘piloting’ the rig down the highway. The reason I’m posting this is because I really miss having our coach and am contemplating diving back into RV’ing. I badly miss having the ability to climb into the motorhome and take off for…wherever. Please, for those of you 80 and older, I would like very much for you to respond and let me know if you are still driving and at what age. Also, if you have ‘hung up the keys’, at what age and was it due to feeling there might be an inability to safely operate the coach at your age. Please feel free to provide any other information that might help me determine whether purchasing a new coach, at my age, is or is not a wise move. Many thanks!

2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

phil-t

Ogdensburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not 80, YET! 71 - camphosting in SC for the winter and I can tell you I see several folks in their 80s that are traveling in RVs for various reasons. Those that I have seen and spoken with have been very capable at handling and manuvering their rigs. I see young folks that are somewhat defiviant in those abilities. You just need to assess your own abilities, or have a good friend help you decide. Age, alone, should not be the determining factor in your decision.

Good luck, and safe travels.

2010 Winnebago Vista 32k on a 2009 Ford F53 22k chassis

Busdriver

Shepherdsville Ky 40165

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel it is a personal choice, only you know your body and mind. If you feel you can’t drive any longer than you probably can’t

Busdriver 2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as being a sole personal opinion, if you are concerned about your abilities then perhaps you can still do so. Just keep in mind there a many people who do not know they are past the point of making that decision due to dementia.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm only 52, but watching my parents age, and friends parents, it really varies from person to person. I know a 77 year old pilot, that I'd have no concerns hopping into a plane with him, but my mother in law at 79, I wouldn't let her drive around the block, and she thinks she is fine.
The fact you are concerned, is a good sign. Do you have a child or friend that would ride with you in a car or RV, and give you an honest opinion??
Maybe you can travel, and pick less congested routes, or maybe a smaller coach.
With the urge to go, I hope you can find a solution to let you travel, and enjoy your retirement!

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

goufgators

Crawfordville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

I'm only 52, but watching my parents age, and friends parents, it really varies from person to person. I know a 77 year old pilot, that I'd have no concerns hopping into a plane with him, but my mother in law at 79, I wouldn't let her drive around the block, and she thinks she is fine.
The fact you are concerned, is a good sign. Do you have a child or friend that would ride with you in a car or RV, and give you an honest opinion??
With the urge to go, I hope you can find a solution to let you travel, and enjoy your retirement!

If we get back in, we are going to look for "less congested routes" and, again 'if', we won't go back to a large Class A...it'll be a smaller class C. Speaking of 'less congested routes', in the past, we've had to travel directly through downtown Atlanta. That won't happen again...!

chast

Marlton, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you are wise to be aware of your abilities or the lack thereof. At 77, I realize that I am no longer on the younger side of life and find that I am no longer confident piloting a large rig. This realization has brought me to appreciate a smaller version in the form of a B van. I still enjoy driving, but am intimidated by the size of the old class A. The B van gives me the freedom and convenience of a motorhome, but without the tension and apprehension of the larger rig. It may be an answer for you—to each his own.

chartrue2@aol.com

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you feel more confident driving a car vs a Class A? Maybe a good compromise would be a 24 ft Class C or B+.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goufgators wrote:

wowens79 wrote:

If we get back in, we are going to look for "less congested routes" and, again 'if', we won't go back to a large Class A...it'll be a smaller class C. Speaking of 'less congested routes', in the past, we've had to travel directly through downtown Atlanta. That won't happen again...!

Well maybe if you want a second opinion find a truck driving school near you and hire one of the instructors to do a check out drive with you. You could rent a class C of similar size you are thinking of getting in to for the checkout drive.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goufgators

Crawfordville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Do you feel more confident driving a car vs a Class A? Maybe a good compromise would be a 24 ft Class C or B+.

Thanks! I am more comfortable driving our car or my full size pick up. If we jump back in it will be a smaller class C.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Too old to drive ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.