|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Bed level of new trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just saw an add for a Chev Off Road and the add says it is lifted 2in. From the factory

Curly2001

Tucson, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After our trip to Colorado and Oregon this last summer, I was amazed to see how many "Nose High" fifth wheel trailers were on the road, including me. It makes no sense that you can't find a newer 3/4 ton truck that has not been raised by the factory. I wish I had my 2007 2500HD back.
Curly

2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that a big contributor to the "lifted" trucks from the factory is the expectation of flat floors in the trucks. Then when add in that Ford and probably the others made the beds deeper the bed rails went way up.

I have saying for years that there is a need for low bedrail trucks for pulling gooseneck/fifth wheel trailers and for people want to access the bed from the side. For the rare occasions that I really needed high bed rails on my old truck I had no issue with simply putting some boards on the side.

Gator398

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

I have saying for years that there is a need for low bedrail trucks for pulling gooseneck/fifth wheel trailers and for people want to access the bed from the side. For the rare occasions that I really needed high bed rails on my old truck I had no issue with simply putting some boards on the side.

I agree with this, all of the gn trailers at last company I was with are pulled with dually 3500 and had custom flat beds built for them. These aren't cab n chassis, they are true 96" dually and the flat beds are notched in the front because they are so wide. Company had learned hard way that beds on dually just get torn up hauling GN off road (lease roads to oil rigs) but cab/chassis are too narrow for stability. It's also why horse haulers have custom beds built for their towing rigs.

2021 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS
2011 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7L

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I just saw an add for a Chev Off Road and the add says it is lifted 2in. From the factory

Like this one....
It’s still short. Just not a total pavement pounder like most GM half tons. [image]

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, they make low bedrail trucks. They’re called flatbeds or hauler beds.
BUT I see your point. Wonder what % of trucks are bought to haul 5vers or GNs?

I could see a market for factory low rail “pickup beds” for sure. But then again I’m the person that thinks HD diesel suvs and work trucks with 9’-10’ long beds would also be cool, useful and popular!
Guess I’m not the typical target market!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Bed level of new trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.