RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How often do your remove the camper from the truck?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How often do your remove the camper from the truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i only have it on when I am using it. when I am done I take it off, unless i am heading out again soon and dont need the truck for anything else.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was staying in one place for a week I might take it off the truck. And If I was taking the truck in for repair I would take it off. Other than that it lives on the truck ready to go. fully stocked. We do live in earthquake country. In the truck bed(vs on Jacks) is the safest spot for our emergency home.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine goes on in the spring and comes off in the fall.
I never drop the camper when camping because I don't need the truck to go sightseeing.

Here's how I load it

Here's how I unload it

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

ORbiker

Springfield, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/21 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In close to 10 years our big Citation 10.8 S camper might have come off the truck maybe 10 times. We used it mostly in the winter to go do our ski patrolling at Crater Lake and Willamette Backcountry here in Oregon.
In the summer, the Harley was the main mode of transportation.
Happy camping, KEN

Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had two TCs. A pop up and a hard side fiberglass.
I used both for work. I would use them weeks at a time, be home a week or two then head back out.
It is a big enough pain that when home only one week I would leave it on. Two weeks and then just depends on how much driving I planned to do between (usually I was tired of driving so avoided it when home).

It is simple in theory, but does take time. It can be a chore. Tailgate needs to come off and go somewhere safe, don't drop it, its heavy but easily manageable. The camper is always sitting on something (X's, saw horses, pallets) so raise camper, remove platform, store platform/move platform. Prep truck, which for me involved the batteries that stayed in the truck bed, the electrical connection, putting boards in the bed, the rubber mat all just so. Back truck in most of the way, connect the things, back in the rest of the way. Some ppl are good enough they get it perfect the first time, prepare to do a few back-n-forths to get TC centered where u want it. Lower TC. I had remote motors but it still was a chore. I had air bags, so air up the air bags to get truck level again. Lug out the Troqlift tie-down arms, the chains and hook it all up, tighten down the tie-downs. Fill water if you prefer to drain out water for storage to make TC lighter and not stress the floor (depends on quality of your TC). Dont forget that license plate move. Hook up trailer wires to TC, check, Two mirrors out.. Good to go.
Yea, it is a bit of work.
I got rid of TC.
Now I have trailer: Back truck up, drop it on the ball, clip the chains in and the 7-pin. Done.

Be sure this is what you want.
The Pop-up is neat, but unless it is an Alaskan you are in a tent when the top is up, all the noises and lack of insulation as a tent. Lack of security of a hard wall (not that campers are hard to break into).
The hard side is nice too, heavy, and lot of weight on your expensive truck with expensive front end parts - as opposed to super cheap easy-to-fix trailer axle and leaf springs. Your truck is going to carry the burden and weight and get worn out faster....
Keep all this in mind...

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

You will get answers that cover the entire range, from people who never take their camper off and can't fathom anyone that would ever take their camper off, to others who take their camper off every time they stop and can't fathom anyone who would ever leave their camper on.

Well said. [emoticon]

I took mine off my truck twice last year. It went back on a few weeks ago.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/21 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

You will get answers that cover the entire range, from people who never take their camper off and can't fathom anyone that would ever take their camper off, to others who take their camper off every time they stop and can't fathom anyone who would ever leave their camper on.

And that is one of the best features of TC’s. A truck when you need it, an RV in less than on hour. So cool.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First TC RV: I frequently took the camper off.
Yes, you are correct - having a good level surface is crucial for easy load/unloading.
Newer trucks and campers have a very narrow tailgate opening fit and it can increase the difficulty of on/off loading.
Un-even terrain will stress the jacks where they attach to the camper.

Fourth TC RV: I rarely take the camper off.
I tow a Jeep for trips that may find it useful for additional touring when making road trips / camping.
To replace the pickup truck's at-home general utilitarian use, I've purchased a small 5x8 trailer for light duty hauling with the Jeep.
The pick up bed is now only used for heavy duty hauling.

2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have traveled across the U.S. in our camper a number of times. Sometimes an oil change is due while on the road. I never seem to be able to find a place with enough height clearance when in a new area. This means I have to take the camper off, usually in a parking lot. It's not a huge deal just have to allow some extra time for the process. I back under the camper very slowly and stop and get out several times to check my alignment before proceeding. Just be patient, you can do it.

sonuvabug

Mid-West Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

i only have it on when I am using it. when I am done I take it off, unless i am heading out again soon and dont need the truck for anything else. Steve

^^^ Same here ^^^

2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How often do your remove the camper from the truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.