RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: HarvestHost......anyone using it?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> HarvestHost......anyone using it?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/21 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I see it, one of the benefits of RVing is the ability to park when needed, where needed, for free. The "free" part helps immensely with the cost of fuel for people like me who watch their expenditures.

With that said, we are most comfortable in Walmart parking lots, followed by rest areas. Places like Cabela's and Cracker Barrel don't suit us because of the lack of other RVers, and that those places are closed during over-night hours. There is something to be said about "activity and safety in numbers".

I can see taking advantage of HarvetHost if those are places you like to patronize.

As far as dumping waste water and replenishing fresh water, there are enough opportunities throughout.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

road=freedom

Cypress, Texas USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tend to travel without a lot of reservations – that way, I can explore as I go along. Can anyone comment on their experience with same-day stays at HH?

Steve

2020 Silverado
2020 Flagstaff E-Pro E15TB

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend didn’t renew his HH as he was tired of drinking so so wines. I probably will not too as this past summer I only used it once. Arrived at another one at 3 PM (spent $60) but continued on as it was to early to stop on our trip West.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/21 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my former coworkers used HH a great deal for 2 different extended trips. They liked it well enough to use it twice. He said there were some great locations, much quieter and prettier than a road side RV park.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

JJChomp

Naples, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/21 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harvest Hosts this summer was a joke, I couldnt find one host in at least 2 and 1/2 weeks on the road out of almost three months out west. The closet date that I could find in any of my travels was two weeks out. Just cancelled and requested a refund.

John & Jackie
Mandalay 40E

MRC54

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/21 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use both Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome (now the same company, but keeping things separately). We've only full-timed since April, but have gotten our moneys worth. Four stays with different Harvest Hosts, including breweries and a Lavender Farm. We prefer Boondockers because most places we have the option to stay multiple nights, and many have hookups. We just finished a six night stay in Centuria, WI at a 'hobby farm'. Super friendly folks, 50 amp power, and water. We visit an aunt in Luck, WI., just 10 minutes away. We're already planning another trip next spring.

I have been able to make a few same day stops, but since we're full timers, I have a pretty solid itinerary planned in advance.

2021 Keystone Alpine 3712KB
2009 Sierra 3500 DRW

Full timing starting May 1

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/21 11:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just heard about boondockers welcome and wondered if it we would like to host. The Terms of Use are somewhat formidable but probably similar to something like Airbnb. I like that it’s a free night or two for travelers. Our town approved Airbnb so it’s probably legal. I’m wondering if it’s asking for trouble from people who carry and think guns are a solution to being unhappy or angry with someone or have annoying dogs they don’t clean up after. We could provide 15 amp service but not enough to run air conditioning etc. Boondockers would have to run generators at least part of the time. Would our neighbors hate the idea? Would you? We have about 2 acres and our neighbors have at least an acre lot and it’s semi rural.

2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a long time and well used Boondockers Welcome host, I can tell you exactly what it is like.

You set up the account.
If you are near a place that people want to go or convenient to a well traveled highway, be ready.
Publish accurate descriptions and have a good set of directions to find you.
Be honest about what you can fit. We do have issues with longer trailers and monster coaches.
We are something over two dozen now and that is with nothing in 2020.
It is a great way to meet interesting people.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ArtDecoMan

pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New user here . In the eastern US "free" and "overnight" don't appear together often. Not interested in a restaurant parking lot, so I got a HH menbership and used it twice for overnight stops - both farms. No pressure to buy, but I bought a couple of inexpensive dried soup mixes, some coffee and tea, a pacgage of homenade cookies, and homemade jam. It's fine for that type of use.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EMD360 wrote:

I just heard about boondockers welcome and wondered if it we would like to host. The Terms of Use are somewhat formidable but probably similar to something like Airbnb. I like that it’s a free night or two for travelers. Our town approved Airbnb so it’s probably legal. I’m wondering if it’s asking for trouble from people who carry and think guns are a solution to being unhappy or angry with someone or have annoying dogs they don’t clean up after. We could provide 15 amp service but not enough to run air conditioning etc. Boondockers would have to run generators at least part of the time. Would our neighbors hate the idea? Would you? We have about 2 acres and our neighbors have at least an acre lot and it’s semi rural.
If your area does not have ambient noise normally, a generator running at night will be highly annoying. Don't understand the concern over guns unless you plan on making the guests unhappy and angry. And yes, as a former RV park owner people will have dogs that bark and some owners will not clean up after them. If you are rural and your lawns not fully manicured the dog waste issue (and the likelihood the guests will drain a gray tank onto the ground) will increase. Another concern is how will your neighbors react to a stream of unknown individuals camping in the area. Remember not all RV occupants are related to Mother Teresa.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> HarvestHost......anyone using it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.